What percentage of WP posters are NT?

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.


What differentiates the depressed weird NTs (I am not going to use the word losers and I do hate to think of anybody that way) from those with an ASD?



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,616
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.


Ok well before I even understood that social norms even existed I was different.....I did not interact normally so people picked on me because I was a bit of an easy target due to my lack of social skills. This was at a very early age. As I said I do have the symptoms, its just a matter of are there disorders that better explain whats gone on with me besides AS. Not that it matters nessisarly, I mean I know what difficulties I have I just don't have an official diagnoses.

And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


Last edited by Sweetleaf on 21 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

SC_2010 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I heard it was 80% the last time I checked. Many NTs, true to their colors, will pretend to be something they're not in order to "fit in" and so that's why you see so much NT behavior on the forums despite that many are claiming to have aspergers in their profile. (Most NTs lie all the time to fit in, so it happens.)


I'm an NT and confused about why NTs would pretend to be autistic here? Does that actually happen?


Hey NT! How's you doing?

I was joking. I don't actually think the percentage is 80% but I do believe there are a fair number of "pretenders" here because fitting in is something NTs do in order to avoid being identified as an "outsider", which is useful if they want to be treated as an accepted member of the community in discussions (Rather than possibly being singled out and being treated unfairly for being "one of them"). I'd assume there are *some* NTs who like to join in on the discussions on the General Autism forum.

Quote:
Also, I'm getting the feeling you aren't too warm and fuzzy about NTs....


What ARE you talking about?! I <3 NTs! They make my heart go aflutter! <3 <3 <3



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

bumble wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.


What differentiates the depressed weird NTs (I am not going to use the word losers and I do hate to think of anybody that way) from those with an ASD?


Depressed weird NTs don't have an ASD. 'Nuff said.



SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 372

21 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

swbluto wrote:
SC_2010 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I heard it was 80% the last time I checked. Many NTs, true to their colors, will pretend to be something they're not in order to "fit in" and so that's why you see so much NT behavior on the forums despite that many are claiming to have aspergers in their profile. (Most NTs lie all the time to fit in, so it happens.)


I'm an NT and confused about why NTs would pretend to be autistic here? Does that actually happen?


Hey NT! How's you doing?

I was joking. I don't actually think the percentage is 80% but I do believe there are a fair number of "pretenders" here because fitting in is something NTs do in order to avoid being identified as an "outsider", which is useful if they want to be treated as an accepted member of the community in discussions (Rather than possibly being singled out and being treated unfairly for being "one of them"). I'd assume there are *some* NTs who like to join in on the discussions on the General Autism forum.

Quote:
Also, I'm getting the feeling you aren't too warm and fuzzy about NTs....


What ARE you talking about?! I <3 NTs! They make my heart go aflutter! <3 <3 <3


Cannot detect sarcasm online... :lol:

I'll just assume you are telling the truth ;)



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people. With that kind of definition, it becomes too easy for someone to say "I'm not NT" because of this or that trait that's "not normal".



Last edited by swbluto on 21 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,616
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

swbluto wrote:
bumble wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.


What differentiates the depressed weird NTs (I am not going to use the word losers and I do hate to think of anybody that way) from those with an ASD?


Depressed weird NTs don't have an ASD. 'Nuff said.


Well my depression had some to do with the fact that I had no friends because I did not know how to come off in a normal non-threatning manner I guess. I mean know that I am more aware of my differences it does not cause as much pain when people express dislike....but as a child it was quite painful when I tried to socialize with the other kids only to get reapeatedly rejected and picked on.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,616
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".



Last edited by swbluto on 21 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

SC_2010 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
SC_2010 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I heard it was 80% the last time I checked. Many NTs, true to their colors, will pretend to be something they're not in order to "fit in" and so that's why you see so much NT behavior on the forums despite that many are claiming to have aspergers in their profile. (Most NTs lie all the time to fit in, so it happens.)


I'm an NT and confused about why NTs would pretend to be autistic here? Does that actually happen?


Hey NT! How's you doing?

I was joking. I don't actually think the percentage is 80% but I do believe there are a fair number of "pretenders" here because fitting in is something NTs do in order to avoid being identified as an "outsider", which is useful if they want to be treated as an accepted member of the community in discussions (Rather than possibly being singled out and being treated unfairly for being "one of them"). I'd assume there are *some* NTs who like to join in on the discussions on the General Autism forum.

Quote:
Also, I'm getting the feeling you aren't too warm and fuzzy about NTs....


What ARE you talking about?! I <3 NTs! They make my heart go aflutter! <3 <3 <3


Cannot detect sarcasm online... :lol:

I'll just assume you are telling the truth ;)


You assume away if it makes you feel better. :lol:



ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 129
Location: About 100m above the ground

21 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal" when speaking of NTs.


This explains a lot.

I'm not autistic. I don't have Asperger's. I do have OCD and Tourette's Syndrome. I hesitate to call myself "typical" since I have enough motor tics to make people look twice (and then three and four times.) So I guess that makes me "weirdo" by your definition.

Thanks.

Now I guess I get to go to the Tourette / Bipolar / etc. forum on WrongPlanet and start a thread on all the names I've been called over the years. "Weirdo" was an early one, but certainly not one I've been called in a while. I was kind of enjoying the 20+ year hiatus. C'est la vie.



bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


The term weirdo is a bit harsh to describe someone who is a bit different and does not fit the 'norm' when it comes to whatever neurological group they belong to. Who the hell gets to decide what so called 'normal' is anyway.

Lets just assume my diagnosis of depression and social anxiety is correct and I do not have an ASD, that would make me one of those werido's. Now I don't mind being a weirdo because what I have seen of normal has not impressed me.

I have seen people consider behaviour such as hurting another human being for their own entertainment as normal. If that is normal, I'd rather be weird.

I have seen people obsessed with power, to the point where they will walk over anyone to get it. If that is normal I would rather be weird.

I have seen people abuse animals for fun. If that is normal I would rather be weird.

I have seen people kick and spit on homeless people. If that is normal I would rather be weird.

I have seen ignorant judgemental behaviour. Prejudice and discrimination. If that is normal I would rather be weird.

I have seen people mock and ridicule others because those others do not fit this so called 'norm' of theirs and god help the person if they are not a cabon copy of everyone else out there.

If any of that is normal, I would rather be weird. In the above circumstances, weird is a good thing.

I don't believe there has to be a war between those who are NT and those who are autistic. People are people even if in some ways, people can sometimes be different. But they are still people with real feelings and real lives all the same. Evolution creates variation even within a species. Welcome to the mixed up world of human life.

Gets off my equal human rights soap box...



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

ViewUpHere wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal" when speaking of NTs.


This explains a lot.

I'm not autistic. I don't have Asperger's. I do have OCD and Tourette's Syndrome. I hesitate to call myself "typical" since I have enough motor tics to make people look twice (and then three and four times.) So I guess that makes me "weirdo" by your definition.

Thanks.

Now I guess I get to go to the Tourette / Bipolar / etc. forum on WrongPlanet and start a thread on all the names I've been called over the years. "Weirdo" was an early one, but certainly not one I've been called in a while. I was kind of enjoying the 20+ year hiatus. C'est la vie.


Image



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,616
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.



bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


I have only just started a Discovering psychology module as part of a BSc in Health Sciences and although I have not yet gotten to the 2nd year module Biological Psychology: Exploring the brain I do believe he is right. There are other neurologically based conditions out there besides Autism. However those with an ASD will use the term NT to differentiate between those with an Autistic Disorder and those without.



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


Well, I'm in correspondence with the leading Harvard researcher of Abnormal Psychology and he specializes in mental disorders and he says that people throw around the word "neurotypical" way too often and it means "not autistic". He furthermore said that lonely, depressed EMOs have a tendency to label themselves as autistic because they don't have any friends.

I feel for the delusional. :roll: