What percentage of WP posters are NT?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,615
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


Well, I'm in correspondence with the leading Harvard researcher of Abnormal Psychology and he specializes in mental disorders and he says that people throw around the word "neurotypical" way too often and it means "not autistic". He furthermore said that lonely, depressed EMOs have a tendency to label themselves as autistic because they don't have any friends.

I feel for the delusional. :roll:


Ok so the only neurological abnormality/disorder is autism........got it.

And are you seriously calling me names? I'm not a depressed 'emo'.....I have some pretty valid reasons for how I feel actually. And part of it is being treated like garbage by my supposed peers.



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

bumble wrote:
However those with an ASD will use the term NT to differentiate between those with an Autistic Disorder and those without.


:lol:

Bumble, you use the same kind of insinuations as I do. Therefore, you're NT. You now feel all better about yourself, right?



bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

swbluto wrote:
bumble wrote:
However those with an ASD will use the term NT to differentiate between those with an Autistic Disorder and those without.


:lol:

Bumble, you use the same kind of insinuations as I do. Therefore, you're NT. You now feel all better about yourself, right?


Strangely I don't feel any different to how I normally feel. Which is like myself!



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


Well, I'm in correspondence with the leading Harvard researcher of Abnormal Psychology and he specializes in mental disorders and he says that people throw around the word "neurotypical" way too often and it means "not autistic". He furthermore said that lonely, depressed EMOs have a tendency to label themselves as autistic because they don't have any friends.

I feel for the delusional. :roll:


Ok so the only neurological abnormality/disorder is autism........got it.


Check out wikipedia on the term Neurotypical:

Quote:
Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum:


Image

Quote:
And are you seriously calling me names? I'm not a depressed 'emo'.....I have some pretty valid reasons for how I feel actually. And part of it is being treated like garbage by my supposed peers.


Where did I call you a name? If you're truly autistic, you would take what I said at face value. ;)



bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm

Ok then lets just say that the term NT is used in the autistic community to differentiate between those who have autism and those whose neurological make up and behaviour are typical. Just because someone is not autistic that does not mean their neurological make up is typical even amongst NTs so the term 'Not neurotypical' could still, technically, apply to them.'

Or perhaps you would prefer not typically neurotypical.



sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Age: 121
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,985

21 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm

Shellfish wrote:
I am probably your 'run of the mill' NT and my son was diagnosed with AS around a month & a half ago - I use this site to try and get some perspective and insight into what the world is like for him and to get some advise from those who know best.


Yes, and you are more than welcome here - it is wonderful that you come here to help care for your son, your presence is much appreciated.


_________________
Into the dark...


swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 10:54 pm

bumble wrote:
Ok then lets just say that the term NT is used in the autistic community to differentiate between those who have autism and those whose neurological make up and behaviour are typical. Just because someone is not autistic that does not mean their neurological make up is typical even amongst NTs so the term 'Not neurotypical' could still, technically, apply to them.'

Or perhaps you would prefer not typically neurotypical.


Yeah, "typically neurotypical" or "neurologically typical" would probably be clearer to most people.



Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,891

21 Nov 2011, 11:05 pm

Im convinced that theres a lot of people on here who are undiagnosed who think there aspie. Whether there really aspie is in question.



sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Age: 121
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,985

21 Nov 2011, 11:15 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Im convinced that theres a lot of people on here who are undiagnosed who think there aspie. Whether there really aspie is in question.


I really don't think this matters. I am unimpressed with the descent into name calling on this thread (yes, calling someone a "weirdo" is name calling swbluto).

People should come here to explore and learn about themselves, to learn about autism, to meet other people in an autism-friendly environment, and to better understand their family members and friends who have autism.

As I said before, IF there are any genuine pretenders I think they would be very few (I mean, why bother. I think that there are a large portion of people on here who are uncertain - and lets get this straight - these guys are NOT pretenders and people should STOP stigmatizing them).

I think even if there were any deliberate pretenders on the site I highly doubt they'd be harming anybody as if someone said something misleading accidentally (or on purpose) about autism, they would quickly be corrected/educated by the majority of more knowledgeable members anyway.


We should be welcoming all people to this site who have an interest in Autism, irrespective of their diagnostic status. It upsets me to see some of the discriminatory comments tossed about.


_________________
Into the dark...


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,615
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

swbluto wrote:
bumble wrote:
However those with an ASD will use the term NT to differentiate between those with an Autistic Disorder and those without.


:lol:

Bumble, you use the same kind of insinuations as I do. Therefore, you're NT. You now feel all better about yourself, right?


Yes I cannot quite figure out how the fact that I see a flaw in which the way many people with an ASD use the word Neurotypical, to me neurotypical means neurotypical so if I do in fact have an ASD then I am one person with an ASD that does not use NT to differenciate people without an ASD from myself.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,615
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 11:32 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


Well, I'm in correspondence with the leading Harvard researcher of Abnormal Psychology and he specializes in mental disorders and he says that people throw around the word "neurotypical" way too often and it means "not autistic". He furthermore said that lonely, depressed EMOs have a tendency to label themselves as autistic because they don't have any friends.

I feel for the delusional. :roll:


Ok so the only neurological abnormality/disorder is autism........got it.


Check out wikipedia on the term Neurotypical:

Quote:
Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum:



Quote:
And are you seriously calling me names? I'm not a depressed 'emo'.....I have some pretty valid reasons for how I feel actually. And part of it is being treated like garbage by my supposed peers.


Where did I call you a name? If you're truly autistic, you would take what I said at face value. ;)


wikopedia is not an accurate source, that is why its not recommended to use it as a source in college papers.....not to mention lots of people coin terms and then terms take on more meanings then they originally had. But that aside its a word how I use it does not prove wether I have AS or am an NT.


Also, if you were me you would take offence to that as well......I come from a world where the struggles i had were always ignored, in their ignorance people called me lazy because I sucked at P.E class and never really had as much energy as most people, people called me selfish because I would complain when suffering from sensory overload..sometimes really minor things so they did not understand how such minor things could bother me so much. People called me retarded, because I am sometimes a bit slow at processing information and because they could tell there was something off about me. I've had the term emo, psychopath, commie b*tch(because I am not too fond of capitalism in its current state), freak, weirdo ect thrown my way as well. So I am a little bit defensive after all that.......so if you were not directly referring to me I apologize for taking it that way.

However I do not think my reaction proves wether I have an ASD or not.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,088
Location: Massachusetts

21 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

Neurotypical is one of those words which has multiple meanings.

It was originally used in the autistic community to mean not autistic.

When the neurodiversity movement started going and including other groups of people, then neurotypical began being used to mean 'neurologically typical'.


I'm guilty of using both definitions in different situations. I'd assume from the topic that the question was 'not autistic' not 'not neurologically different somehow', though I'd find both statistics interesting.

As for people faking, all I've been sure of seeing is people putting on their profile "Have Asperger's - Diagnosed" and then talking in posts about not being diagnosed. It bugs me.



Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2009
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,516

22 Nov 2011, 12:33 am

I think just a few.

And think about the "NT" parents of Aspie children here. I'd venture to hazard guess that they are at least BAP. Some have stated they have "some" of it.

There are some ADHD people here, and obviously I'd say they are neuro-a-typical. Are they autistic in a sense as in accurately gauging and engaging in ToM ? Partly.... there is some trouble that circumscribes it out of all other neurological conditions.

A safe bet: There are *no* depressed souls here based solely on clinical depression. My hunch is that there is a significant neurological anomaly associated with all Wrong Planeters. I do not see Bi-Polar, schizophrenia as a "neurological anomaly." Why? Simply due to the fact that these ones develop this, and move from a neuro typical zone, into a diseased/ malfunctioning neurotransmitter state -- there is a pathology here.



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

22 Nov 2011, 1:29 am

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
And I belive Neurotypical referrs to people who don't have an underlying neurological disorder/abnormality, I mean as it says neuro'typical' as in what is normal neurologically.


No, it means someone who's not autistic. With that kind of definition, it's hard to draw the line around "what's normal" and "what's not" and it can quickly become meaningless if it includes too many people.


Well I question the accuracy of that definition considering autism is not the only variation that exists from normal neurology.


There's a term for the meaning you're trying to communicate and it's "weirdo". You don't have to hijack the meaning of "NT" to suit your purposes, you might as well use the word "Normal".


Umm no actually I am taking an Abnormal Psychology class.....and according to the information I've learned there and elsewhere NT or Neurotypical means exactly that Neurotypical not 'not-autistic' I don't feel I am hijacking anything and there are other disorders besides autism that can make someone come off as a 'weirdo' as you say.


Well, I'm in correspondence with the leading Harvard researcher of Abnormal Psychology and he specializes in mental disorders and he says that people throw around the word "neurotypical" way too often and it means "not autistic". He furthermore said that lonely, depressed EMOs have a tendency to label themselves as autistic because they don't have any friends.

I feel for the delusional. :roll:


Ok so the only neurological abnormality/disorder is autism........got it.


Check out wikipedia on the term Neurotypical:

Quote:
Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum:


Image

Quote:
And are you seriously calling me names? I'm not a depressed 'emo'.....I have some pretty valid reasons for how I feel actually. And part of it is being treated like garbage by my supposed peers.


Where did I call you a name? If you're truly autistic, you would take what I said at face value. ;)


I don't find boring pedantic discussions over the exact meaning of invented words interesting enough to get into a heated and inflammatory debate over. Therefore I must be NT. I am now officially undiagnosed.



sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Age: 121
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,985

22 Nov 2011, 1:30 am

Mdyar wrote:
I do not see Bi-Polar, schizophrenia as a "neurological anomaly." Why? Simply due to the fact that these ones develop this, and move from a neuro typical zone, into a diseased/ malfunctioning neurotransmitter state -- there is a pathology here.


I agree with this. I tend to see my bipolar as an "illness" which needs to be cured with medication, whereas I see my aspergers as a neurological difference.


_________________
Into the dark...


SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 372

22 Nov 2011, 1:46 am

Mdyar wrote:

A safe bet: There are *no* depressed souls here based solely on clinical depression. My hunch is that there is a significant neurological anomaly associated with all Wrong Planeters. I do not see Bi-Polar, schizophrenia as a "neurological anomaly." Why? Simply due to the fact that these ones develop this, and move from a neuro typical zone, into a diseased/ malfunctioning neurotransmitter state -- there is a pathology here.


There are BP people who are almost exactly like autistic people in the sense that they say that BP is part of who they are and always has been. They would not be who they are if bipolar wasn't in the picture. I'd say many BP people separate themselves from the disease, but there are still a significant amount that take it on as part of their identity.