Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

02 Oct 2006, 11:51 pm

Let me first specify that i meant by living alone you support yourself, and don't have any roommate or family member living in your place of residence.

For those of you on your own, what do you normally do for you meals? I personally cook my own meals sometimes. I'll make burritos, or I'll buy a roast chicken from the supermarket. I also get take-out alot from the chinease place or from work(Domino's Pizza)

02 Oct 2006, 11:57 pm

I hardly eat. I have small meals. I eat baby food, yogurt, sandwhiches, TV dinners, canned food, noodles, cereal, eggs, waffles, etc. I hardly eat big meals.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2006, 12:22 am

the big thing with me is to get some meals into the freezer. buying costs a lot so i try to make up casseroles and freeze individual portions. i don't like cooking at all.

i eat a lot of yogurt & fruit. i have trouble remembering what to eat. i order a month's groceries at a time online. oh, eggs, yeah scrambled eggs with a tomato. tofu slices, fried. snacks: pretzels, popcorn. also whole-wheat crackers and cheese. i like cottage cheese with almost anything.

one of my favorites: a bowl of yogurt with 3 ginger snaps on the bottom, sweetener, sliced peaches (canned), frozen blueberries.

wrongjohn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2006, 4:55 am

I eat totally boring. I have a very small menu, burritos, costco kosher dogs and polish sausage, frozen pizza, ravioli (canned), spaghetti, deli sandwiches. Cooking for one seems so wasteful, half the ingredients you buy for anything you have to buy in quantities that I can't possibly use before they go bad.

By eating single serving ready made there is little waste, little hassle, and virtually no dishes. On the other hand, in terms of healthy diet, it's not the best.

Anyone loose track of eating, forget to eat? I forgot to eat yesterday, I woke up with a huge headache today.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 11:18 am

WrongJohn......Yeah...headaches are my own little reminder that I have forgotten to eat or drink enough water(dehydration is really bad for headaches,part of what causes hangovers)

I lived on my own for years and cooking was always one of my least favorite things to do(no car to go grocery shopping,which I hated to do anyway)

I learned to make chocolate chip cookies and lived on them...as well as...anything you can do with an egg...fried egg sandwich...hard boiled eggs(set a timer....I have ruined several pans by leaving them on until the water boils out and the eggs explode...scary sound and stinky)I cut up the eggs and mix with Miriclewhip and mustard<---also good on Tomato slice sandwich.....Slice of tomato on a bagel half with a slice of Swiss cheese melted in toaster oven...yummy......Also good....microwave a clean potato(poke with a fork first and dont use foil)takes about 5-7 min and then use whatever topping you like(garlic powder,pepper,salt,butter).....my two emergency foods ....Ramon noodles....after the noodles are soft,I through in a couple of eggs,seasoning and steamed broc,if I am feeling ambitious..
Also...toast with butter and honey.....I also have frozen veggies in freezer and salad "fixings" in fridge(I dont like most fruit,bananas are about it)but frozen fruit isnt to expensive and and can be used on frozen yogurt.....

Clardoons idea of making large portions of something you can freeze also works if I feel like making stew or chili....I used to freeze two meal portions in Tupperware.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

wrongjohn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2006, 12:31 pm

I still just hate to cook, which is kinda funny, because I once worked as a cook in an italian restaurant.

Egg's aren't my favorite, chocolate chip cookies I will bake occasionally, but eggs are mostly an ingredient, and sometimes an omelet, scrambled, or Frittata or such.

Given my freezer is stuffed with reheat& eat foods, and as I said, I usually don't get full use out of what ingredients I buy before they go bad, I am happy with bland, monotonous meals.

Some can't handle that, but I am one of those people who could eat the same thing morning noon and night for weeks on end without complaint.

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2006, 1:58 pm

I love to cook but I live alone so it is to much to cook a big meal for just me. I usually do not eat alot ( I forget) I have skipped so many meals that I some times forget when I last ate. I snack often and eat out most meals (to go mostly) I eat alot of burgers and fries and salads. Salads are quick and easy to fix and easy to clean up after so meals I fix myself are salads.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 2:56 pm

I eat a lot of instant noodles and other bland heat and eat meals also.

My taste in foods is decided fairly strangely I think though.. since my sense of smell is usually so sensitive it is completely inoperative my sense of taste isnt very good either (but thats ok I hate strong tastes) so mostly I decide what I like and dont like by touch and texture.

For example I love crunching on peanuts but cant stand the feeling of peanut butter in my mouth it drives my hubby crazy because two things can taste exactly the same but depending on its physical properties its hit or miss on whether Ill eat it or not.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 4:52 pm

I don't consider myself a cook so much as a heater. Fling it into the oven and 20 minutes later, dinner is served. I confess to doing a lot of the fast food scene for convenience. I pick up a couple days' worth of work meals on the way in at Wal*Mart (what can I say, I'm poor) and more than likely hit the McD in the Wal*Mart or a BK or Long John Silvers.

The hardest part of living alone is not being connected to anyone. You have to rely on yourself for seeking out in-person intellectual stimulation, and being a gold seal-certified loner does not make that easy.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 5:08 pm

I make big pots of sauce with sausage & meatballs and freeze it in smaller containers. Meatballs subs, ravioli, throw together a lasagne sometimes.Go threw a container a week and every 6 to 8 weeks make another massive supply to stuff the freezer with.

I go buy a meatball sub once or twice a week and usually get a pizza about everyweek with my brother & mother who live a mile away. They have no clue why I'm a loner, I'm 47

Sometimes buy sliced roast beef and make subs. Frozen store bought pizza or fresh pizza and freeze the left over slices for another day

Make regular breakfast once in awhile,not offen most chochlit chips cookies and pepsi in the morning.

eat about 2 meals a day, sometimes only one.

get headaches if I don't eat & drink properly

now is somebody going to start a bathroom habit post :P

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 8:04 pm

A lot of us have IBS....I for one can live without anyone elses details about this....lol(we do have a shower thread if you care to weigh in on that...)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

03 Oct 2006, 11:07 pm

I made myself a cheeseburger today using fresh ground beef, but whenever i cook one, my kitchen gets all smoky. I wonder if there is a way to avoid this? would using frozen burger patties made a difference?

lae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 12:00 am

Jutty wrote:
I made myself a cheeseburger today using fresh ground beef, but whenever i cook one, my kitchen gets all smoky. I wonder if there is a way to avoid this? would using frozen burger patties made a difference?

This has worked for me: not turning the heat too high and putting a lid loosely over the pan while it cooks. I'm not a very good cook but this seemed to make them turn out better.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 2:20 pm

Yes...lower heat means less charring on the outside, more doneness on the inside and less smoke and spatter. The biggest difference frozen burgers would make is the energy you expend trying to unstick them from each other.