Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

I'd say somewhat close to being like....Jeremy Clarkson.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:02 am

I think I can get people around me to laugh much easier and more effortless when I let them laugh at my awkwardness, instead of having them laugh at my jokes or wittiness... It actually comes quite natural to me to act on it a little. :?

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 4:10 am

OJani wrote:
I think I can get people around me to laugh much easier and more effortless when I let them laugh at my awkwardness, instead of having them laugh at my jokes or wittiness... It actually comes quite natural to me to act on it a little. :?

I agree. I always try to be on the look out for people who really do laugh at my REAL jokes though. It's nice to find people who are clever enough to understand and appreciate my dry sense of humor :lol:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:17 am

none

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

I have a sense of humor. It's not mainstream humor by any chance though. I rarely find mainstream humor funny.

Apparently my kind of humor takes some getting used to, and takes some getting to know me first. Some people find it hard to tell when I'm joking and when I'm being serious. People who don't know me well don't usually get my humor, or don't get the fact that I'm joking in the first place (maybe that has something to do with my monotone voice and lack of facial expressions), but people who know me better understand my humor and find it hilarious. I've been told by many that I have a weird, but hilarious sense of humor.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

I have quite a dry sense of humour. One of my favourite jokes is:

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I also like:

I know a really good "knock, knock" joke - you start...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

My sister visited for Thanksgiving.

We were watching Die Another Day on TV.

It was the part when the villain is kicking James Bond's ass on a hovercraft.

She said, "He's very crafty."

I said, "He's very... hovercrafty, if you will."

She groaned.

Oh, piss off. That was funny.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 2:27 am

Tuttle wrote:
Very influenced by Pterry.

^ I knew little about humor until I realized that my most serious statements happened to be the ones most thought were funny (Footnotes provide a fair amount of humor, and the reference to M. Pascal was a bit morbid, but still rather funny.). Still, I cannot intentionally make humor that people realize. Now, when I want to try to lighten the mood, I generally make statements I see as perfectly obvious, which is useful in the student government. You may also note my location and its relation to the big disc on top the elephants on top the turtle that moves.

LittleBlackCat wrote:
I have quite a dry sense of humour. One of my favourite jokes is:

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

^ That one is still funny (to me), and the variations about Gray Code are even better. I think my sense of humor consists mainly of my mental images of facts relating to my special interest.

My sense of humor is awful. No one would understand anything if I showed my wallpaper about fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase and the caption, "Due to the inherent risk of lyase action, it is recommended that all heavily phosphorylated fructose units keep away from the moving parts." The moving parts are, of course, highlighted. On another one, I present the structure of triose phosphate isomerase and write, "'Should an isomerase whose job it is to twist over half of an aldol not have more stationary parts?'" -Question to the Great Engineer." For me, the strangeness of such a molecule being so flexible is clear, but to others, it is virtually pointless. I suppose idiosyncratic humor is one of the traits of one with AS.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 3:22 am

davidalan11235813 wrote:
I have a bit of a dark/warped sense of humor (ie, a horse walks into a bar, sits down and orders a drink. The bartender looks at him, grinning smugly, and asks "why the long face Mr. Horse?" The horse answers, "I have AIDS"), so I avoid making jokes around people I don't know well, since it seems to be a bit off-putting among people who don't have the same sort of humor . Also, as seems to be a common theme in this thread, I have a very deadpan delivery, which seems to makes it funnier if you get the joke, but completely humorless if you don't.

I'm stealing that joke! I love it!

Frances

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 3:30 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
davidalan11235813 wrote:
I have a bit of a dark/warped sense of humor (ie, a horse walks into a bar, sits down and orders a drink. The bartender looks at him, grinning smugly, and asks "why the long face Mr. Horse?" The horse answers, "I have AIDS"), so I avoid making jokes around people I don't know well, since it seems to be a bit off-putting among people who don't have the same sort of humor . Also, as seems to be a common theme in this thread, I have a very deadpan delivery, which seems to makes it funnier if you get the joke, but completely humorless if you don't.

I'm stealing that joke! I love it!

Frances

Hahahha that made me laugh out loud and it doesn't happen a lot on the internet :lol:
I'm stealing it too!! !

Last edited by ediself on 28 Nov 2011, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 3:48 am

dogslife wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
There was also a satirical "journal article" that I wrote many years for a site about "neurotypical syndrome."

That just made me laugh out loud, nice.

I've always been good at making people laugh through quick punchline responses and ribbing, but in terms of what I personally find most hilarious, it's often the most seemingly innocuous part of something. For example, my friend and I like to ask each other funny "would you rather..." scenarios. One of the recent scenarios pitched was the idea of going on the phone intercom at work and saying, "Attention, hello? Yeah okay. [insert something really outlandish and ridiculous here that isn't worth repeating]." Even though the part most people who heard us discussing this found hilarious was saying the really outlandish/scandalous thing, I could not stop laughing at the idea of someone starting out an intercom page with, "Attention, hello? Yeah okay." Even now I want to crack up all over again because the "yeah okay" is just so ridiculous to me. Most people don't understand my true sense of humor, and neither do I for that matter! Ha.

I really understand that.
That's the reason why my sister and I can spend hours talking and 50% of that time is spent catching our breath and wiping tears from our cheecks (and complaining our jaws hurt)(nothing sexual there).
When you find someone who is as amused as you are by irregular speech patterns and weird formulations , it's awesome.
I totally picture us cracking up at "attention hello? Yeah okay."
The kind of funny that you "had to be there" to find hilarious.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:15 am

I vary a lot.

I like strange references to things which I learn (through experience) people don't know. I like long, drawn out association of different ideas, as if working through a logical argument to the end with obviously faulty premises, with surprising results.

And I like making complete non sequiturs, or talking about things in unusual ways (e.g. to someone planning a trip to Spain, I suggested Catalonia because it's the best place to launch an armoured spearhead, then spelt a plan for an amphibious landing near Bilbao meeting with it south of Zaragoza).

I also like creating funny out of pure reality and fact checking -- I spent certainly an hour and a half comparing casualty rates of several periods of military history and checking demographic data to create a single Facebook status.

When I'm tired, I get more deadpan and sarcastic. I tend to like black humour too, but I rarely "produce" anything good.

My mother likes my shorter one-liners, but I don't.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:37 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
I vary a lot.

I like strange references to things which I learn (through experience) people don't know. I like long, drawn out association of different ideas, as if working through a logical argument to the end with obviously faulty premises, with surprising results.

And I like making complete non sequiturs, or talking about things in unusual ways (e.g. to someone planning a trip to Spain, I suggested Catalonia because it's the best place to launch an armoured spearhead, then spelt a plan for an amphibious landing near Bilbao meeting with it south of Zaragoza).

I also like creating funny out of pure reality and fact checking -- I spent certainly an hour and a half comparing casualty rates of several periods of military history and checking demographic data to create a single Facebook status.

When I'm tired, I get more deadpan and sarcastic. I tend to like black humour too, but I rarely "produce" anything good.

My mother likes my shorter one-liners, but I don't.

^ That, without the FaceBook bit. However, my intentional humor either sails over or into their heads.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 4:49 am

sarcastic or goofy. I also like some dirty jokes. Oh & sometimes I like the really silly, obvious jokes. Everyone in my family likes & shares those though.

I used to memorize my favorite stand up comedy sets when I was in high school & then monologue them to my friend. She would usually zone out & then hear the end of it & say it was funny. Once she asked if I made it up. I wish, xd.

iwannabeadragon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2011, 5:11 am

My sense of humor is usually very vulgar and "deranged." It gets me into a lot of trouble because I guess I don't think vulgar things are... That vulgar. That, or I'm blunt and sarcastic, usually having to explain to people that I'm joking.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 5:33 am

Very dark and dry. Often sarcastic (you would be surprised how many NT's miss this). Other times I make jokes that are references to obscure things and expect people to know what I am talking about. Often I will, in long conversations or in a group, make jokes that incorporate any nonsense that happens earlier in the group, people still miss it.. Once in a while I will make a joke that is a reference to a reference so obscure I hardly understand it and then laugh like an idiot...

Sometimes I get into trouble because I say horrible things with a straight face and no vocal twitch and then later have to explain "No, I don't REALLY think babies dying in a fire is funny..."

With my GF my timing tends to be much better and my jokes, although sometimes corny, much better. I think I try harder around her...