BBC3 Documentary (UK) - Teenager Growing Up With Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MerciXFaveur
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2011, 7:52 am

Did anybody (UK) watch this documentary last night?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/magazine-15482101

It was quite interesting

MrCarbohydrate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2011, 8:51 am

I would like to see it. These things make me get down, though. I am glad this guy is reaching his full potential. It just reminds me of when I was young and all the things that could have been. Now I am older and I have, instead of well exercised interests and studies showing my stengths, unresovled neurosis and I have no access to any world at any level.

:-D Mr Happy today... I am glad though he's gettong what he needs. If I watched it I wouldn't dislike the guy at all. At least I know I don't have THAT affliction. It would just make me feel crappy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ge_Genius/

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

Yes, they broadcast this previously so I got to see it again. It was good seeing him make a friend. His family was really supportive as well.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

Nice. They need to get non-smart Aspies like me on TV.

MerciXFaveur
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

My best friend studies Maths at Cambridge University. Occasionally I will go an spend a night or two there to visit. The subject of the documentary, Cameron, reminds me uncannily of a whippersnapper version of this guy there. They share remarkably similar mannerisms, affectations and even voices.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:21 pm

i shall watch it on iplayer whilst going about my internet business...

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

i enjoyed that, what a lovely kid(:
i don't see the point in children taking exams early. if they find a subject easy they should be allowed to use the energy they would've put into it, into other areas- like cameron with his social skills. i don't see any benefit having a degree when you're 16:/.

When he was having the breakdown for hs OU deadline he reminded me a bit of myself at unveristy haha, ohlord.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

Aspergers must be popular in the UK

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 10:21 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i enjoyed that, what a lovely kid(:
i don't see the point in children taking exams early. if they find a subject easy they should be allowed to use the energy they would've put into it, into other areas- like cameron with his social skills. i don't see any benefit having a degree when you're 16:/.

I believe the idea with geniuses in general is that they need something to properly stimulate their brain. For motivation.

I don't know whether it's right or wrong though.

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

I'm really appreciating this (it's running on iPlayer as I type). I can see a lot of my younger self in this kid, albeit without the maths (I suck at it! :oops: ). "I have the social skills of a...talking potato." Poor lad. >_< It's good to see his family are able to understand him but I can identify with a lot of the other problems he experiences. The education thing is a toughie...he wants to push himself, but risks missing out on other important things.

Above all else, it's refreshing to see the 'everyday' issues aspies face...granted, it would be helpful if the savant angle wasn't so emphasised, but I guess the 'maths genius' tagline gets it the attention of the viewers. Documentaries like this are important.