Page 15 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

do you like Heavy metal music
Yes, 37%  37%  [ 104 ]
Yes, 42%  42%  [ 119 ]
no, 10%  10%  [ 28 ]
no, 11%  11%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 282

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 5:17 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
rapidroy wrote:
I have been into metal and a few other genres over my lifetime, metal is what I gravitate to when I am depressed or in need of some confidence. I'm not really into death metal or 80s metal, I am more on the emo-ish side actually. I mostly only listen to local metal bands and attend their shows quite frequently the time so I don't know many of the bands being discussed here. What I detest about the genre though is the stupid moshing, why do people feel the need to act like wild animals and hurt others at these shows who just want stand and listen? Total disrespect!! !

For the genre to grow and thrive I think we need to do a better job of taking care of the few venues that will allow these concerts and taking better care of ourselves since a lawsuit from a hurt kids parent will likely go pretty far to ending the all important all ages shows. I've seen ambulances called to small shows to carry away little kids. Also Metal could seriously benefit from a rebranding. Aside from some satanic metal bands need to drop the satanic and anarchy symbolism and imagery(eg. the devil horns), because today most metal bands lyric wise have nothing to do with that stuff anymore yet continue to face resistance from its legacy. Metal music festivals are branded is promoting Satanism and anarchy on the strength of palm muted, high gain guitar sounds, unfortunately.

Aside from the legal implications, I don't see what the problem is with moshing, so long as all the participants
involved agree to it. I don't think unwilling people should be dragged into mosh pits.

I think the whole "Satanic" angle is really more of a black metal thing nowadays, and a lot of bands that do utilize Satanic imagery do so more for shock value and aesthetics than for actually promoting Satanism. Like it or not, some of the very earliest heavy metal songs dealt with this type of imagery, albeit not from a perspective that necessarily promoted it. It's a bit too engrained in some parts of the metal culture for it to truly go away, though there are plenty of good bands that don't make use of Satanic imagery at all, or very minimal use. As far as anarchism, even though it sort of makes sense that it would go with metal, I really think anarchist imagery is more of a "punk" thing.

I notice a lot of doom metal has satanic imagery as well...but it is probably more apparent in black metal currently, though certainly is not limited to that genre.

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2015, 11:05 pm

Saying simply yes I like metal is the biggest understatement of the century. I listen to Metallica, Slayer, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 11:22 pm

The thing is I do like metal and find it frustrating that an image that really no longer matches the music is making it difficult to access and promote it. I know first hand the image and the physical risk the leading factors in the ongoing resistance to holding the shows around here and the additional "red tape" we much deal with. That is how music scenes and genres die and how the talent pool for the next generation shrinks. I want to attend shows weekly and to do that we need to be able to have shows weekly.

I am not that tall and not very heavy so I have left many shows in a little pain from being slammed into, pushed into merchandise tables etc. I have never been to a large festival however in a small room of 75-100 people moshing can become quite deadly and its is unavoidable no matter where you stand. I went to 3 shows in a row where young kids were hurt. I get head banging and jumping, what I fail to see what the point of is things like running around in a circle and purposely smashing into people is. Honestly part of my motivation for wanting to be in a band is so I can watch from beside the stage.

As I said I kind of think we may not be listening to exactly the same bands and styles.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:27 am

rapidroy wrote:
The thing is I do like metal and find it frustrating that an image that really no longer matches the music is making it difficult to access and promote it. I know first hand the image and the physical risk the leading factors in the ongoing resistance to holding the shows around here and the additional "red tape" we much deal with. That is how music scenes and genres die and how the talent pool for the next generation shrinks. I want to attend shows weekly and to do that we need to be able to have shows weekly.

I am not that tall and not very heavy so I have left many shows in a little pain from being slammed into, pushed into merchandise tables etc. I have never been to a large festival however in a small room of 75-100 people moshing can become quite deadly and its is unavoidable no matter where you stand. I went to 3 shows in a row where young kids were hurt. I get head banging and jumping, what I fail to see what the point of is things like running around in a circle and purposely smashing into people is. Honestly part of my motivation for wanting to be in a band is so I can watch from beside the stage.

As I said I kind of think we may not be listening to exactly the same bands and styles.

Well metal is not going to die off anytime soon, it's been here since the late 60's and has lasted decades...also has quite a lot of fans so is a well established genre and as far as I can tell its still going strong. But yeah I haven't experienced/seen much problems with moshing at shows I've gone to...what sort of metal shows is it you're going to? I listen to every style of metal, my favorite probably being Doom Metal which really much of the time doesn't have much moshing anyways more headbanging. I am quite short and light and have gotten sore after shows have also moshed though there are some mosh pits I wouldn't go into...seems like there is always room to avoid the pit though perhaps venues where you're at are smaller even.

Still not really sure what young kids are doing at a show like that though....I can't see bringing young children to anything more brutal then like Iron Maiden, hell even if there's not moshing going on they could still get stepped on and what not or lost/seperated from parents so perhaps its a case of better management needed for the venues you are going to.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 11:53 pm

All ages so I have seen kids who likely were as low is Grade 7 to adults in their mid 20s and the amount of people causing the real problems are usually about 3-5% of the audience. At this point there are only about two venues in this lame city willing to rent out to metal promoters, both are small with floor space about the size of two average living rooms and as wide as the stage less the width of tables that are pushed aside on either side. There are maybe two other venues in neighbouring cities, one being even smaller so while things have been better lately I wouldn't see it as healthy. We had a decent size metal club that I only made it to once and that was killed off pretty quick by the local business improvement association. Too bad because the interest is there and the shows always sell out while the punk and acoustic shows struggle for attendance.

Just my opinion however I also think it is narcissistic of a band to ask for people to move, I think it should happen naturally if the band is good enough to invoke a response like that. A lot of problems start when the band asks for movement and some dumb fan takes the cue without thinking and just turns around a shoves a couple random people really hard.

I wouldn't know what to label everything other then all of it is indie and most of the Ozzie/Sabbath type influence is mostly gone or unrecognizable. A lot of it is more nu metal/screamo/alternative influenced and some really come off sounding bands like, say Parkway Drive. All depends on the band and their is a diverse mix. Most of the new metal that appears to be coming up seems to be heavily influenced by 2000s music and 90s grunge type music since the probably because the most of the people making it are between the ages of 19 and 25.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm

rapidroy wrote:
All ages so I have seen kids who likely were as low is Grade 7 to adults in their mid 20s and the amount of people causing the real problems are usually about 3-5% of the audience. At this point there are only about two venues in this lame city willing to rent out to metal promoters, both are small with floor space about the size of two average living rooms and as wide as the stage less the width of tables that are pushed aside on either side. There are maybe two other venues in neighbouring cities, one being even smaller so while things have been better lately I wouldn't see it as healthy. We had a decent size metal club that I only made it to once and that was killed off pretty quick by the local business improvement association. Too bad because the interest is there and the shows always sell out while the punk and acoustic shows struggle for attendance.

Just my opinion however I also think it is narcissistic of a band to ask for people to move, I think it should happen naturally if the band is good enough to invoke a response like that. A lot of problems start when the band asks for movement and some dumb fan takes the cue without thinking and just turns around a shoves a couple random people really hard.

I wouldn't know what to label everything other then all of it is indie and most of the Ozzie/Sabbath type influence is mostly gone or unrecognizable. A lot of it is more nu metal/screamo/alternative influenced and some really come off sounding bands like, say Parkway Drive. All depends on the band and their is a diverse mix. Most of the new metal that appears to be coming up seems to be heavily influenced by 2000s music and 90s grunge type music since the probably because the most of the people making it are between the ages of 19 and 25.

Hmm well that kind of sucks, lack of venues is never good.

As for the sabbath influence being mostly gone or unrecognizable I'd have to disagree...Doom Metal is quite heavily influenced by that style and its certainly alive and well. Its not so recognizable in more extreme metal like death metal or black metal but then that kind of depends on the band some death and black metal is infused with doom metal. Also too me that stuff more resembles like hard rock of some sort than metal some leans more towards metal I guess...but that sort of stuff also seems to attract more people trying to be hardcore who cause problems with things like moshing...like when they start hard-core dancing or whatever. Most shows I've gone to are black metal or doom metal where there isn't much problem with that.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 2:17 am

Sort of I guess, I think the better question is can my ears handle it. I really dislike growling but I really like the instrumental parts, but as long as the bass isn't overwhelming. I kind of like Opeth. I also occasionally listen to some folk and symphonic metal as well. Most days I listen to prog, alternative, and soundtrack/symphony though.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:15 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Sort of I guess, I think the better question is can my ears handle it. I really dislike growling but I really like the instrumental parts, but as long as the bass isn't overwhelming. I kind of like Opeth. I also occasionally listen to some folk and symphonic metal as well. Most days I listen to prog, alternative, and soundtrack/symphony though.

I've noticed that a lot of music nowadays overuses what I call "wall of sound"-style production, where everything is so densely packed together that it's hard to savor individual notes or other little details. It's not just a problem with metal, it's a problem with ALL genres nowadays. I like it when the individual parts of a song are allowed to have some "breathing room", instead of everything being LOUD all the time.

Nightwish is an example of a band that I think could hire a better producer. Their music has some epic instrumentals and arrangements, but their crescendos could be so much more dramatic if they didn't use as much compression. As well, you're not really supposed to use much compression for symphonic music in the first place, so while I could see the use for it in symphonic metal, it doesn't mean a symphonic metal record should be produced like a death metal or metalcore record.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:48 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

I've noticed that a lot of music nowadays overuses what I call "wall of sound"-style production, where everything is so densely packed together that it's hard to savor individual notes or other little details. It's not just a problem with metal, it's a problem with ALL genres nowadays. I like it when the individual parts of a song are allowed to have some "breathing room", instead of everything being LOUD all the time.

Nightwish is an example of a band that I think could hire a better producer. Their music has some epic instrumentals and arrangements, but their crescendos could be so much more dramatic if they didn't use as much compression. As well, you're not really supposed to use much compression for symphonic music in the first place, so while I could see the use for it in symphonic metal, it doesn't mean a symphonic metal record should be produced like a death metal or metalcore record.

I find metal can be a fatiguing genre to listen to sometimes, mainly after extended periods and when physically feeling a little off. It takes a considerable more mental concentration to take in and break down what I am hearing compared to your typical easy listening type of performer. The thing with the constant wall of sound is it becomes easy to forget just how heavy the music is after an extended period, like your ears kind of adjust to what your hearing? The same thing happens when driving fast on a freeway, you get used to constantly going 100km/h when you head for an exit and slow down to 50km/h yet it feels like 5km/h, naturally many people crash because they take the exits too fast because they can't properly sense the speed until they get used to driving at varying speeds again. Young Drivers invented a word for that in velocitizing(sp?). Anyway I wonder if the same thing doesn't happen when taking in sound waves.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:09 am

Although I like Maynard Keenan's work a little more I had a late buddy who was a big Opeth fan. There is much headbanging in Valhalla lately... Personally I've been into Taiwanese black/death metal groups for a while now. Cthonic & Silent Hell are ridiculously amazing.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
rapidroy wrote:

Hmm well that kind of sucks, lack of venues is never good.

As for the sabbath influence being mostly gone or unrecognizable I'd have to disagree...Doom Metal is quite heavily influenced by that style and its certainly alive and well. Its not so recognizable in more extreme metal like death metal or black metal but then that kind of depends on the band some death and black metal is infused with doom metal. Also too me that stuff more resembles like hard rock of some sort than metal some leans more towards metal I guess...but that sort of stuff also seems to attract more people trying to be hardcore who cause problems with things like moshing...like when they start hard-core dancing or whatever. Most shows I've gone to are black metal or doom metal where there isn't much problem with that.

A lot of the local bands identify as hardcore or thrash. I honestly don't pay attention to labels though. I can have a hard time drawing the line between hard rock and metal however the clearly metal sounding guitar and drums appear to the popular setup at the moment and I can recognize that. As for Ozzy what I mean is nobody around here is trying to be the prince of darkness or even a rock star and the lyrics don't seem to follow Ozzys lead, if anything it is the backup band that influences the more. I see no 80s hair metal influence either and Metallica appears to have fallen on deaf ears a lot of the current generation of kids(thankfully hate them!).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:20 am

cberg wrote:
Although I like Maynard Keenan's work a little more I had a late buddy who was a big Opeth fan. There is much headbanging in Valhalla lately... Personally I've been into Taiwanese black/death metal groups for a while now. Cthonic & Silent Hell are ridiculously amazing.

Cthonic is pretty good, I saw them in concert it was called pagan fest, usually it consists of Scandinavian and sometimes German bands or so it seems but the tour included them as well which was pretty cool, I like whatever string instrument that is they have.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:38 am

It's Chinese fidddle! Yeah those interludes really do a lot for them. *drools* So does Doris Yeh :P Ozzfest enlightened me to their br00talness. I've nearly convinced a cellist friend of mine to start a project with me on screams/growls, perhaps Metalcore since her BF (my old neighbor) is an electronic producer.

My god does Taiwan know where it's at...
link

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 4:52 am

rapidroy wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

I find metal can be a fatiguing genre to listen to sometimes, mainly after extended periods and when physically feeling a little off. It takes a considerable more mental concentration to take in and break down what I am hearing compared to your typical easy listening type of performer. The thing with the constant wall of sound is it becomes easy to forget just how heavy the music is after an extended period, like your ears kind of adjust to what your hearing? The same thing happens when driving fast on a freeway, you get used to constantly going 100km/h when you head for an exit and slow down to 50km/h yet it feels like 5km/h, naturally many people crash because they take the exits too fast because they can't properly sense the speed until they get used to driving at varying speeds again. Young Drivers invented a word for that in velocitizing(sp?). Anyway I wonder if the same thing doesn't happen when taking in sound waves.

Have you ever heard about this thing called the "loudness war"? Basically, it refers to this ongoing trend in music production, where producers will try to master songs as loudly as possible, so that they stand out more on the radio and leave a bigger first impression. The problem with "loudness war" production is that it not only deteriorates the overall dynamics and sound quality of the music, it also leads to listener fatigue with prolonged exposure.

I like heavy, intense music, and even I find a lot of metal albums hard to listen to because their lack of dynamics becomes grating after a while. Dynamics and variety are what give music its liveliness. For this reason, I typically prefer older music that hasn't had the life squeezed or of it.

Now, I will admit, loud production does work for certain things, when used the right way. Merzbow, a Japanese noise artist once made an album with some of the loudest music ever printed on a CD, this album is called "Venereology". It is an incredibly intense listening experience, and most people would not enjoy it, but I consider it to be a masterpiece. It's not something I can listen to every day though. Another example would be System of A Down, they just wouldn't sound the same without their obnoxiously loud production.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

Aaaargh I had to go & miss SOAD's last show here. Not only were they wicked good, Serj is also a hilarious troll. In an interview recently he referred to System as pop.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 8:27 pm

cberg wrote:
Aaaargh I had to go & miss SOAD's last show here. Not only were they wicked good, Serj is also a hilarious troll. In an interview recently he referred to System as pop.

SOAD is really hard to classify, I'd say they're something akin to experimental Middle Eastern-influenced punk pop metal. They're not conventional "pop", and they're not conventional "metal" or "progressive" music either, but rather some weird, yet widely-accessible mashup. Metalheads like them, non-metalheads like them, I guess the short length of most of their songs keeps them from being too inaccessible.