Page 3 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

aghogday wrote:
aspie48 wrote:
well if i ever get a lot of money i'll figure that out. and if someone makes a charity i can agree with ill donate my time and money to it.

Have you checked into other non-profit organizations that help autistic people; last time I checked there were here were over 2000, on the guidestar.org website, a watchdog group that monitors non-profit organizations that help autistic people and all types of other worthy causes. So far the only one's I've really heard about on the wrongplanet website are ASAN and Autism Speaks.

If you check out that guidestar.org site, it will bring up all the organizations in your area associated with Autism. There could be a good one in your immediate area, that you may not be aware of, that is potentially doing things you could agree one hundred percent with, that might be able to use volunteers to assist them in their efforts.

The research that Autism Speaks does, is very expensive, but there are many ways these smaller organizations help and provide support for autistic individuals across the spectrum; there are thousands of volunteers already working in that effort, that have nothing to do with Autism Speaks.

When I checked out the site, I found a smaller organization, that helps autistic people, that raised 4 million dollars last year, 20 miles from where I live. I had no idea, they existed until I checked the organizations in my area with the guidestar.org site.
thank you.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:44 pm

aspie48 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
aspie48 wrote:
well if i ever get a lot of money i'll figure that out. and if someone makes a charity i can agree with ill donate my time and money to it.

Have you checked into other non-profit organizations that help autistic people; last time I checked there were here were over 2000, on the guidestar.org website, a watchdog group that monitors non-profit organizations that help autistic people and all types of other worthy causes. So far the only one's I've really heard about on the wrongplanet website are ASAN and Autism Speaks.

If you check out that guidestar.org site, it will bring up all the organizations in your area associated with Autism. There could be a good one in your immediate area, that you may not be aware of, that is potentially doing things you could agree one hundred percent with, that might be able to use volunteers to assist them in their efforts.

The research that Autism Speaks does, is very expensive, but there are many ways these smaller organizations help and provide support for autistic individuals across the spectrum; there are thousands of volunteers already working in that effort, that have nothing to do with Autism Speaks.

When I checked out the site, I found a smaller organization, that helps autistic people, that raised 4 million dollars last year, 20 miles from where I live. I had no idea, they existed until I checked the organizations in my area with the guidestar.org site.
thank you.

Your welcome. For those that are more fortunate in their ability to cope in life, on the autism spectrum, they can probably do more lasting benefit for other people that have a harder time coping, by getting directly involved in helping those individuals. It would be nice to hear stories here of how people have got involved in that effort.

Realistically though, even for people that post here, some may not be up to the effort that is required to help those individuals that need help. So many that come here are looking for help, themselves.

And, there are probably many people that come to this site to gain insight into the problems that autistic people have, that do not have autism, so they will be better able to provide the help to others in their community that need assistance in coping with everyday life.

So, even those that discuss their problems here, may be providing insight to others not on the spectrum, to help those that need help in their communities.

That really was the point of getting autistic points of view, like Tambourine Man, on the autism speaks website, to help the folks that visit that site, not on the spectrum, to gain a better insight into Aspergers Syndrome, and how differently it affects each individual.

A general description of Aspergers, from a textbook, is just that, a general description, that really doesn't apply to any one individual. Without those individual insights from real people with Asperger's, much is lost in understanding what it's really like to have Asperger's Syndrome.

The same applies to the non-verbal folks with autism, once some gain the ability to communicate with communication devices, we find they have a rich understanding and insight into the world that we would never come close to understanding without those communication devices.

Honestly, the greatest service that people do, that come to this site, probably, is to bring that insight to others, with all the positive and negative reports of what is involved in having the condition.

No one here is going to likely be the one that comes up with ground breaking research to change the face of autism or Aspergers, instead more likely to provide an understanding of what lies behind the eyes of those on the spectrum, that might not ordinarily be divulged to others in real life.

This is part of the reason why it was good that you moved away from the idea of autism supremacy; if people see that ideology expressed, it potentially instills fear instead of understanding, resulting in a potential greater probability that people that read it might shun those, that are understand to have Aspergers in real life, instead of accommodating the differences in how they perceive the world and others.

And it is the same reason way unwarranted attacks on organizations and what some people
label as "NTs", is potentially counter productive; if people talk this way, suggesting that organizations or people should be defeated, it can appear to those looking from the outside in, that we oppose others in the world, instead of the view here that some hold that the outside world opposes them.

The hatred for others in the "real world", that I have seen from some, since I came here, was disturbing to me; even though I have received similiar behavior from others my entire life.

What I learned from it was not to judge others, because I had been judged harshly in my life. If I had ever developed an ideology of hatred for the world, my life would have effectively been over as far as ever having an opportunity to gain a place in the world.

You are not letting your logic abandon you and, instead, are on a search for the things that will work for you in life. It's the same thing that everyone does, that moves forward in life.

That's good.