Why do NTs believe dancing is for everyone?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

This is the one thing I hate the most about weddings. Being forced to do something I can't do. My body doesn't squirm around like a dancer does. Why do they think it's for everyone? Why do they assume I'm just being stubborn?

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

RushKing wrote:
This is the one thing I hate the most about weddings. Being forced to do something I can't do. My body doesn't squirm around like a dancer does. Why do they think it's for everyone? Why do they assume I'm just being stubborn?

Maybe they have no theory of mind? :scratch:

No wait, thats us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

Why do you assume that "they think it's for everyone"?

Maybe they just want to dance with you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

Eh, I like some of it. I can do some of it if I'm drinking or if it's a dance that has a script, like the Night Fever dance. My problem is that I cannot think of moves to do while dancing when I'm actually dancing. I'm fine if nobody else is around, but when they are, my mind goes blank.

Over the summer, as old as I am, I tried ecstacy for the first time. I danced very well, and I have seen the video, it's on YouTube for her party video, to FloRider's "Low" You know the song. "She had the apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur..." song. I was actually able to squat down, put my hands on my upper thighs and move my non-existant "booty" the right way to that song, while moving my head around the right way.

My favorite way of dancing though, is the redneck slow dance. Where me and my husband hug on the dance floor, his arms around my waist, my arms around his neck and we just go in a circle. "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" is good for this dance. So is "Tuesday's Gone"

Frances

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Yeah dancing makes no sense to me either. I used to force myself to do it thinking I'd get the hang of it but whatever it is about NT brains that makes them wanna dance, its not present in my brain.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

I used to be of this opinion until a month ago, but now dancing is a hobby of mine.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

'Dancing' IS for everyone (how do you think Deaf/H-o-H folk dance?...or wheelchair-bound?). Just like 'talking' is for everyone ... 'interacting', 'socializing', 'being/having a friend'...etc. are all things that are for everyone. These things don't have to be defined and/or 'judged' by 'NT' standards... Aspies 'dance'. Some of us dance like what we see NTs/others doing, some of us dance like 'Aspies', some of us can dance a bit like Aspies AND non-Aspies.

Whaddya think?

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

NTs assume everyone is just like them because most people are. Personally, I can't blame them for not wanting to cater to us when it's so easy to find another NT.

As for dancing, I can do it motion-wise. Matching steps and completing a pattern is where I shine. But I will never get the full effect of the emotional vibe part of it. NTs really seem to get a huge high out of feeling solidarity. For me, it's just performing a routine. There's way more intense ways to do that than dancing.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

I love dancing but if others don't they don't lol.

Each to their own.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Ugh yes, dancing is just about the most unnatural thing I can do.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

I would love to be good at dancing; I love music more than anything and I definitely get the urge to move around to it, but I can't dance to save my life. Last time I was at a bar with a DJ, everyone was dancing and I was... attempting to, and this girl was like "don't just step your feet back and forth, dance!" I clearly just do not have that internal bodily rhythm, haha.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

I don't and won't dance and no one can make me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

I was obsessed with the ballet as a child, and as a young adult, I finally took lessons. The mirror neuron thing made this a challenge, because I always got confused when we did bar work. Yet, I have always loved dancing; whether or not I was any good, I don't know. Some music styles seem to move through me and cause me to want to dance with abandon.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

I'm such an awful dancer and I act so drunk when I'm at parties without even drinking anything that I become the life of the party.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

I love dancing. But I'm a terrible dancer. I usually only dance freely in private because I know I look stupid and anyway, I don't generally enjoy the locations and/or events where people dance together so I'm not usually in a dancing mood around other people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Before you can eat, you gotta dance like Fred Astaire!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.