Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 4:30 pm

I’ve been wondering about Prince Myshkin from Dostoyevsky’s ‘The Idiot’ for a while: I’d have to re-read the novel though... and it’s not really a positive life-affirming depiction of so.

9BillionNamesofGod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2020, 2:44 pm

Karamazov wrote:
I’ve been wondering about Prince Myshkin from Dostoyevsky’s ‘The Idiot’ for a while: I’d have to re-read the novel though... and it’s not really a positive life-affirming depiction of so.

Also, Pierre Bezukhov from War and Peace:

"Pierre had come just at dinner-time and was sitting awkwardly in the middle of the drawing-room, on the first chair he had come accross, blocking the way from everyone. The countess tried to make him talk, but he went on naively looking around through his spectacles as if in search for somebody, and answered all her questions in monosyllables. He was in the way and he was the only one who did not notice the fact."

"Pierre's mind was in such a confused state that the word 'stroke' suggested to him a blow from something. He looked at Prince Vasili in perplexity, and only later grasped that a stroke was an attack of illness."

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 2:45 pm

9BillionNamesofGod wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Also, Pierre Bezukhov from War and Peace:

"Pierre had come just at dinner-time and was sitting awkwardly in the middle of the drawing-room, on the first chair he had come accross, blocking the way from everyone. The countess tried to make him talk, but he went on naively looking around through his spectacles as if in search for somebody, and answered all her questions in monosyllables. He was in the way and he was the only one who did not notice the fact."

"Pierre's mind was in such a confused state that the word 'stroke' suggested to him a blow from something. He looked at Prince Vasili in perplexity, and only later grasped that a stroke was an attack of illness."

Good call!

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2020, 12:44 pm

If anyone has ever read/seen the play "The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee Williams, the character Laura seems like she could be on the spectrum. She is described as being "mentally fragile" and socially isolated, and is obsessed with her collection of glass animal figurines. She is also described as "unique". I saw the play years ago with my boyfriend at the time and I really sympathized with the character and saw a lot of myself in her. I remarked to my boyfriend that I felt bad for Laura and could relate to her, but he just said "she does it to herself. She should get out more." Typical of NTs who just don't get it. :roll:

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 9:37 am

whitemissacacia wrote:
I agree. I'd say Edward Scissorhands. He lives alone, he's not good at socializing (even though he tries to and likes making friends), he's oversensitive, and his "scissorhands" provide a metaphor about his "special talent/interest" (something most of us aspies have) which makes him special. On the other hand, those "scissorhands" also prevent him from any sort of physical contact, 'cos he can "hurt" people (allegory to us unwillingly being offensive). I think that character comprises an excellent metaphor! :wink:

I actually never thought about that and I grew up on that movie :O

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 10:18 am

Spencer Reid from the just completed American TV Series “Criminal Minds”
Interview with Actor Matthew Gray Gubler from 'Criminal Minds

Quote:
Tell us about Dr. Spencer Reid and what's ahead for him on "Criminal Minds?"
"He's an eccentric genius, with hints of schizophrenia and minor autism, Asperger's syndrome. Reid is 24, 25 years old with three Ph.D.'s and one can't usually achieve that without some form of autism

Bart Bromley - 2020 film “The Night Clerk”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 3:29 pm

SEE WP discussion thread: Characters With Autism & Asperger Traits:
viewtopic.php?t=370803&start=15

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm

Christopher Boone from The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime.

Hermione Granger from The Harry Potter Series.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 7:32 am

Data - Star Trek Next Generation
Brent Spiner, of ‘Star Trek’ fame, has plenty of stories about his co-stars. But are they true?

Quote:
Q: You also mention in the book about Data being an inspiration to the autism community. There is a scene in the book when you are visited on the set by neurologist Oliver Sacks
A: Oliver Sacks did actually come to my trailer. We didn’t have the conversation we had in the book, but he did tell me that I was the poster boy for his work. At the time, I didn’t know who he was or what he was talking about. It has proved subsequently to be a connection between that character and kids struggling with emotions and understanding themselves. Many times at conventions, kids will come up to my table when I’m signing photographs and tell me they have Asperger syndrome, and that when they were growing up, Data was the only character on TV they could relate to. That’s an incredibly moving experience. Had I known, I might have encouraged the writers to write more towards that, but it might have blown the whole thing and lost the connection.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 7:47 am

Greg, Manny Rowley and Fregley from the Wimpy Kid series, all seem to have different examples of Asperger's. I've always been able to relate to Greg the most. He's not a psychopath like many people on the internet says he is. To me he just seems like a Aspie with NT traits who is unaware that he has it and has never been diagnosed.

But I don't think the writer intended to make the characters have Asperger's, so I can't prove anything. It's just remarkable how much I can relate to Greg's outlook on life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 8:13 am

Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) -- possible Aspergers, definite ADHD

Isabel Archer (The Portrait of a Lady, Henry James, 1881) -- I've always seen her as ASD

Jocelyn Pierston (male) (The Well-Beloved, Thomas Hardy, 1892) -- Aspergers

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2021, 7:15 am

According to TV Tropes, Janine from the Netflix adaption of The Babysitters Club is strongly implied to be on the autism spectrum, and I can totally see it. She speaks in a monotone, and physical contact even with her mother is shown to make her uncomfortable. When I watched the show, I found myself bizarrely relating to the character, especially with the way she interacted with her neurotypical sister, and after I read that she was written to display autistic traits, it all made sense. So there’s another character for this thread.

AliceCooper

18 Oct 2021, 10:01 am

The 12th doctor who! And Tony Stark!

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2021, 4:39 am

Sam Gardner (Atypical), Rainman and Julia (Sesame Street)

Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory), Arnie Grape (What's Eating Gilbert Grape) and Spock from "Star Trek"

Shaun Murphy (The Good Doctor), Malcolm (Classic 1986 Australian Movie) and Christian Wolf (The Accountant)

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

Ganondox wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

[I'm being sarcastic, in case you can't tell. ]

You are writing on a board full of ASD folks. How are we supposed to tell if you are being sarcastic? :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 10:36 pm

Tommy from the musical and movie 'Tommy'
Pete Townshend talks about The Who’s Tommy - Toronto Star May 17, 2013

Quote:
Cohn had been telling Townshend about “a tough little 16-year-old girl who was a pinball hustler,” and suddenly Townshend decided to make his hero “a pinball champion, gathering disciples and taking over the world.”

He wrote the now famous anthem, “Pinball Wizard” and “wrote all the other pinball references into the story sideways.”

“It worked. It made the whole story lighter, but it also made it more accessible and that allowed me to go deeper. Suddenly there was this sense that pinball was about the universe and an autistic, Asperger’s-afflicted, deaf, dumb and blind kid could be the key to it all.”