Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 6:23 pm

On the logical side, Spock from Star Trek.

On the emotional side, Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes.

I'm definitely more of a Schultz.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 3:34 pm

Billy Pilgrim in Slaughterhouse 5.

Gregor Samsa in The Metamorphosis.

Aet1985
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2022, 10:15 pm

I always wondered if Alan Harper from Two And A Half Men was on the spectrum

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 10:21 pm

Sara - Young Royals
Young Royals: Why It's One of the Best Teen Series on Netflix

Quote:
Young Royals' secondary character Sara lives with Asperger's and ADHD. Rather than making her neurodivergency the only thing that we need to know about her, we instead get to see the often unseen difficulties and pathologies that come with neurodivergency, without demonizing it altogether.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 3:44 pm

Doc Martin is the best example I've seen to date:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Martin#Plot
Why? Watch an episode or two and tell me why not. And as he's an excellent and dedicated doctor, he's successful without having to sell out, and begins to fit in with the locals without lifting a finger to do so.

Brian Lane from "New Tricks" also seems very spectrummy to me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lane_(New_Tricks)#Brian_Lane
Why? I'm not sure. I just like him. They tend to portray him as somebody to be pitied, but they do that with all the main characters. He makes mistakes that I've made.

By a strange coincidence the series also stars James Bolam (playing Jack Halford), who in most of his fictional roles displays a very disarming, genial kind of NT personality, and New Tricks is no exception. If I ever decide to emulate the NTs, Bolam's screen personality would be the first role model I'd turn to.

Last edited by ToughDiamond on 23 Oct 2022, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2022, 3:45 pm

Lilith from "Cheers"

Latka Gravas from "Taxi" (the sitcom, not the movie)

Wilson from "Home Improvement"

Steve Urkel from "Family Matters"

Vera from "Alice"

The comic book store owner from "Big Bang Theory"

Noel Schempsky from "Frasier"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 5:45 pm

From the world of Marvel Comics:

Steve Rogers/Captain America

Bruce Banner

Hope Van Dyne (from the Ant-Man series)

Hank Pym

Natasha Romanoff

Cassie Lang (Scott Lang's daughter)

Not sure about characters from DC Comics.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2022, 10:01 am

"Becker" from "Becker."

I just saw a rerun of this totally hiliarious show starring Ted Danson as the titular character. He plays a gruff, disgruntled family doctor.

He's blunt AF; misses social cues; has a limited social life; comes across as non-empathetic. He can definitely be on the spectrum. In one episode his girlfriend talks him into having a dinner party. When he tells his two friends at the diner he hangs out at, that he's having a dinner party, they laugh.

Check it out on cable. The character is known for flopping socially.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 1:53 pm

Elgee wrote:
"Becker" from "Becker."

I just saw a rerun of this totally hiliarious show starring Ted Danson as the titular character. He plays a gruff, disgruntled family doctor.

He's blunt AF; misses social cues; has a limited social life; comes across as non-empathetic. He can definitely be on the spectrum. In one episode his girlfriend talks him into having a dinner party. When he tells his two friends at the diner he hangs out at, that he's having a dinner party, they laugh.

I'm a tad skeptical that it'll please me as much as the UK's Doc Martin does, as Becker is an American show and I'm from the UK, so the jokes might not work as well on me, but I plan to give it a chance. After all, it's Ted Danson and I did enjoy The Good Place.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2022, 3:28 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Elgee wrote:
"Becker" from "Becker."

I'm a tad skeptical that it'll please me as much as the UK's Doc Martin does, as Becker is an American show and I'm from the UK, so the jokes might not work as well on me, but I plan to give it a chance. After all, it's Ted Danson and I did enjoy The Good Place.

Becker completely lacks social skills; I just saw two more episodes. I saw many episodes in the later seasons some years ago, before I knew I was autistic. And even then, I recognized that he just doesn't know what to do with himself when in socially challenging situations, and he has NO filter.

saimand
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm

Mr Bean. With addition of Tourettes

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 1:53 pm

saimand wrote:
Mr Bean. With addition of Tourettes

Yes I've seen a lot of my early self in him. Outrageously unconventional homespun solutions to problems (which often work surprisingly well), few friends, inability to let go of trivial things that bother him, still loves his teddy bear despite being middle aged, always wears the same clothes, self-centred (won't share his popcorn with his girlfriend).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:19 am

Stevie - 2022 Netflix Movie ‘I Used To Be Famous’

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2022, 12:41 pm

OMG, I was SO RIGHT about "Becker." Just saw another rerun; the episode is called "All the Wong Moves" or something like that. The entire episode was about Becker's resistance to a change in routine and how he hates change. He finally gives in, due to friends talking him into it, and it causes a ripple effect of mishaps that affect everybody. However, in the middle of it all is a guest character who appears. In his first scene, he's just a skittish guy. But in his next scene, he is Autistic AF. I couldn't believe it. I swear, this episode was probably intentionally coded for autism! If it's on Youtube anywhere, I recommend you check it out. It's hilarious.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 1:16 pm

Elgee wrote:
OMG, I was SO RIGHT about "Becker." Just saw another rerun; the episode is called "All the Wong Moves" or something like that. The entire episode was about Becker's resistance to a change in routine and how he hates change. He finally gives in, due to friends talking him into it, and it causes a ripple effect of mishaps that affect everybody. However, in the middle of it all is a guest character who appears. In his first scene, he's just a skittish guy. But in his next scene, he is Autistic AF. I couldn't believe it. I swear, this episode was probably intentionally coded for autism! If it's on Youtube anywhere, I recommend you check it out. It's hilarious.

Hmm....."One Wong Move" (s03e03) seems to be the one. Becker has mostly been deleted from YouTube, but a rough-quality copy can be seen here:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84r2hh

I'll investigate. I took a look at s01e01 a couple of days ago, but the one you're pointing to sounds like it'll be more to the point, and even if it isn't, time spent watching Cheers was never wasted, and from what I've seen so far the production values of Becker are practically identical to that, so I can't lose. I've got faith, I'll be back.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 11:49 pm

Sad to say, the one marked season 3 episode 3 doesn't seem to be the one you mentioned, though both Wikipedia and IMDB both say that's the one. Must be DailyMotion that's labelled it wrong. Though strangely I found another source that gave me the very same wrong episode. So I'm out of ideas as to how to find it. :-(