Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jeffrey228
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Recently I saw that when I was trying to look for something about Autism not being accepted to Anime conventions due to Autism, I saw one anime convention that supports "Autism Speaks", well I found out that they had merged with another but controversal group called "Cure Autism Now"(sounds like something against Civil Liberties and Human Rights), but I had found an article concerning some people that are against the "Cure Autism Now" group because of how it seems to cause trouble with those with Autism, here is the USA Today article on it,

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 51089566/1

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

Jeffrey228 wrote:
Recently I saw that when I was trying to look for something about Autism not being accepted to Anime conventions due to Autism, I saw one anime convention that supports "Autism Speaks", well I found out that they had merged with another but controversal group called "Cure Autism Now"(sounds like something against Civil Liberties and Human Rights), but I had found an article concerning some people that are against the "Cure Autism Now" group because of how it seems to cause trouble with those with Autism, here is the USA Today article on it,

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 51089566/1

that is over. happened way back. hopefully by changing autspeaks views to neurodiversity we can defeat them for good. and btw man...if you behave badly at an event they will kick you out because of the way you acted not for your autism. i'm not making a personal attack here but if you do something bad and then say they put you out because of autism it makes us look a little stupid when we try to stand up against people who really do hate us. believe me i have been accused of s*** in the past and i understand your situation. sometimes you just have to let go. try going to an anime convention somewhere else. maybe you should go to the anime convention that supports autism speaks and tell them about the japanese tradition of otaku, and how the creator of pokemon had AS.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 6:41 pm

"Those who live with autism may have an easier time. They are who they are-- and it's up to others to accept that."

Gods, how I wish that were true. I dream of the day.

Right now, where it stands is, having that attitude makes you self-righteous, uncooperative, idiosyncratic, "bad," and in need of more sedation to help you become more pliant.

Maybe someday...

Yeah. "Here am I, defying gravity..."

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 12:38 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
"Those who live with autism may have an easier time. They are who they are-- and it's up to others to accept that."

Gods, how I wish that were true. I dream of the day.

Right now, where it stands is, having that attitude makes you self-righteous, uncooperative, idiosyncratic, "bad," and in need of more sedation to help you become more pliant.

Maybe someday...

Yeah. "Here am I, defying gravity..."

That attitude sounds very pliant to me. I'm usually in the mood for something truly aggressive.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2011, 1:51 pm

What struck me, was how the article stated that there is so little focus on ADULTS with autism, and how it is often seen as a "childhood" condition. I have always believed this.

***********************************************************************************************

Check out "Problem Child," my memoir of life with autism.