Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheRinkster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2011, 7:41 am

hi guys,

Update on my journey of self discovery lol. I went to see a psychologist monday to see about aspergers. He and his pretty assistant both said that by the end of the session (nearly two hours) they would be able to tell me either way with ref to aspergers.
At the end of the session neither he or his pretty assistant could tell for definite. lol.
They said that although i fitted aspergers well i didnt quite meet all the criteria. Possibly down to me not explaining myself well enough. To one part of the questioning i said i like to think im openminded. Never said thats only if i dont know the answer lol. if i know im right then im right. As me an my x-girlfriend would say "its not about being right or wrong and you know im right about that lol". If im right about something or have a method to accomplish something and someone were to suggest a different method or answer to a problem i can very quickly weigh it up in my mind and take from it if its good or dismiss it all. Sometimes i think so quickly people think ive not considered their idea/ method at all.
They also said i have reasonable eye-contact. This is something i have worked on and am very aware of the importance of eye-contact. I was almost surprised they didnt see it is as almost forced. I also use my hands for gestures and was talking with some changes in pitch and stuff and not so monotone and i spoke about emotions.
What really threw them though was i seemed to also show signs of AD (wow didnt expect that) and also something he called attachment wherein if as a child i didnt have an "attachment" to an appropriate adult this can lead to issues later in life. this is true of me too and i can see where he is coming from.
Finally im not settled at the moment with this hanging around, think i would have prefered a negative diagnosis than more waiting. lol. Im back to see them just after chrismas for further questions and also an IQ test and maybe i can convince them that i have aspergers. i feel i have, (its not about being right or wrong lol) even when i spend time with my friends im constantly studying the whole social thing,. i drift off into my own world. I can say things that just bring the flow of conversation to a complete, dead stop, i cant follow two lines of conversation, i rarely feel totally comfortable or at ease. Especially if there are new or unexpected people around. I think i would rather spend time alone cos it is soo tiring being around people.
What do you guys think?
thanks for reading...
The Rinkster..

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 7:52 am

TheRinkster wrote:
They said that although i fitted aspergers well i didnt quite meet all the criteria. Possibly down to me not explaining myself well enough.

Do we really ever? Probably not.

TheRinkster wrote:
To one part of the questioning i said i like to think im openminded.

Most people think they are open minded. Even your typical extremist, kalashnikov wielding Afghani "redneck" would be offended if someone implied they were not open minded.

TheRinkster wrote:
They also said i have reasonable eye-contact. This is something i have worked on and am very aware of the importance of eye-contact. I was almost surprised they didnt see it is as almost forced. I also use my hands for gestures and was talking with some changes in pitch and stuff and not so monotone and i spoke about emotions.

Deficits in non-verbal cues and eye contact only comprise part of the diagnostic criteria for AS. The DSM-IV diagnostic criteria was compiled from case studies of children and are not entirely applicable to adults. This is why assessments specifically for adults exist. Many of us have developed our eye contact skills over the years.

TheRinkster wrote:
maybe i can convince them that i have aspergers. i feel i have, (its not about being right or wrong lol) even when i spend time with my friends im constantly studying the whole social thing,. i drift off into my own world. I can say things that just bring the flow of conversation to a complete, dead stop, i cant follow two lines of conversation, i rarely feel totally comfortable or at ease. Especially if there are new or unexpected people around. I think i would rather spend time alone cos it is soo tiring being around people.
What do you guys think?
thanks for reading...
The Rinkster..

While I could not say whether you have it or not, I do have reason to believe the psychologist you chose is not qualified to diagnose adults (though like with being open minded, they probably think they are).

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

TheRinkster wrote:
hi guys,

Update on my journey of self discovery lol. I went to see a psychologist monday to see about aspergers. He and his pretty assistant both said that by the end of the session (nearly two hours) they would be able to tell me either way with ref to aspergers.
At the end of the session neither he or his pretty assistant could tell for definite. lol.
They said that although i fitted aspergers well i didnt quite meet all the criteria. Possibly down to me not explaining myself well enough. To one part of the questioning i said i like to think im openminded. Never said thats only if i dont know the answer lol. if i know im right then im right. As me an my x-girlfriend would say "its not about being right or wrong and you know im right about that lol". If im right about something or have a method to accomplish something and someone were to suggest a different method or answer to a problem i can very quickly weigh it up in my mind and take from it if its good or dismiss it all. Sometimes i think so quickly people think ive not considered their idea/ method at all.
What really threw them though was i seemed to also show signs of AD (wow didnt expect that) and also something he called attachment wherein if as a child i didnt have an "attachment" to an appropriate adult this can lead to issues later in life. this is true of me too and i can see where he is coming from.
Finally im not settled at the moment with this hanging around, think i would have prefered a negative diagnosis than more waiting. lol. Im back to see them just after chrismas for further questions and also an IQ test and maybe i can convince them that i have aspergers. i feel i have, (its not about being right or wrong lol) even when i spend time with my friends im constantly studying the whole social thing,. i drift off into my own world. I can say things that just bring the flow of conversation to a complete, dead stop, i cant follow two lines of conversation, i rarely feel totally comfortable or at ease. Especially if there are new or unexpected people around. I think i would rather spend time alone cos it is soo tiring being around people.
What do you guys think?
thanks for reading...
The Rinkster..

I hope your second session goes well.
If you're comfortable with it, is it possible for a relative that has known you since you were very young to go with? Or have you already done that?
Having some history of how other people saw you as a child is of great help as many traits of OCD and anxiety can look like AS.
Good luck :)