Listening to the same song over and over again.

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

Does anybody else do this?
I'm not really into music per se and never have been (until I was about 13 I didn't know the names of any bands or singers) but every now and then I'll hear a song I like and for the next few days or weeks that's all I will listen to - just the same song or handful of songs on a continuous loop until a new one comes along and takes my fancy. Even when I'm not at my laptop, they'll play in my head. I get terrible earworm.
I never considered it to be an autistic trait but now that I think about it it's kind of similar to wearing the same clothes and eating the same food for weeks on end.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

Yes I do that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

I do that with songs. I will wear a song out. I also don't like hearing new songs. If I hear something by accident that I like, I'll download it. That's how I end up liking new music.

As for food, I do that too. I was on a soup kick a while back and ate nothing but soup for over a month. Campbells chicken and stars with lots of salt and Ritz crackers. I'd eat 6 or 7 cans a day. Right now I'm on a frozen dinners kick. Even though I cook good meals for my family, I want to eat a dinner and I want to eat it in bed with a book. With a certain spoon.

I hope I never get on an expensive food kick, like steak or lobster, because I'd just have to starve then! ;-)

Frances

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2011, 3:36 pm

I will play the same cd over and over and over until I find a new "favourite" and then I'll do the same thing. And there is some music I've heard in the past which, upon hearing again will completely overwhelm me and make me cry by bringing back really intense feelings...can't listen to it!! !!

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:37 pm

Did it a lot when I was really young, but got tired of getting sick of songs I like. Eventually I forced myself to listen to a lot of different music. Found out there's so many songs now I do like that much, I can make a loop of songs I'm perfectly happy listening to that lasts for several days. I don't get sick of any music I choose to listen to anymore.

I avoid the radio as much as I can for this reason. Unfortunately, I work at a radio station part time now soo....

But I do love the job itself. I just try not to pay much attention to the music.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

Yes - same song, same clothes, same food, same etc.

I get into moods/modes where I like the same thing over & over. I see it as filling a need at that time, perhaps stimulating a certain spot in my brain, sort of like scratching and itch.

Arisa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

I can't count the number of times I listened to the same Disney songs as a preteen. :P Nowadays, though? Barely ever. I may listen to particular artists when I'm in a certain mood, but listening to the same song, watching the same movie/episode, or reading the same book more than twice just bores me.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Yup. I can play the same single song over and over again for hours - and it can continue for days, weeks, months.

Songs like this, once I stop the obsession with them, get added to my "favourites" play list, which I listen to if the obsession with a song has worn off but a new song to obsess hasn't appeared yet. My favourites list currently has about 8 songs on it which I have listened almost exclusively to over the last 2 years or so ...

It's not that I don't like other songs or music. It's just that given a choice ... I always pick the same few songs.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

i do that too. but i'm really into music. like i have 8000 songs on my ipod.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

I guess I am part of your esteemed club. :)

I listen to a particular song over and over again until i get sick of it. In the future I come back to it. This cycle happens to all songs I have on my MP3

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

I do this too! I don't think it's a symtom of an ASD so much as it's a symptoms of an awesome song though. :)

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

I do that a lot, I love "test flight" by John Powell :)

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Did it a lot when I was really young, but got tired of getting sick of songs I like

I did the same. I got to the point where I had to refuse to listening to the same song more than once per day. Was like dealing with a drug addiction.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

I thought that most people did that at least sometimes...

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

I do this too! I listen to a song soo many times that I know all the words and tune and they get stuck in my head! When I need to distract myself I just remember a song and all the lyrics!
I'm the same with foods and clothes too.

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

Yeah I listen to it over and over again and then it gets stuck in my head on an end less loop :)