Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2006, 5:35 pm

Do you have any kind of "weird" associations that are completely out of context? Do you have "too many" associations? (See what I mean below.)

I'm totally overloaded with associations. When I try to concentrate on something, like reading, I start to "day dream" and have thoughts that are incoherent and out of context. It results in an infinite chain of associations. Example:
When reading the title of a book, like "The greek tragedies" I think of Greece then associate it with beards -> statues -> bookshelf -> bags -> literature -> post-impressionism -> van Gogh -> houses -> paper towels -> hotel -> and so on. This goes on forever until I finally stop "day dreaming".

It affects my concentration greatly and I get very incoherent.

Is this normal in AS standards?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

04 Oct 2006, 5:38 pm

Sounds like theta brain waves typical of ADHD. Your very creative but you find it hard to
finish most projects?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 5:43 pm

I get this!

I have a reputation at work for "covering every angle" but that's only because when someone comes up with an idea my brain just goes into random overdrive and careers off all over the bloody place.

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2006, 5:53 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Sounds like theta brain waves typical of ADHD. Your very creative but you find it hard to
finish most projects?

Not creative at all...

Edit: Is it possible to have both AS and ADHD?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 6:08 pm

innocuous wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
finish most projects?

Not creative at all...

Edit: Is it possible to have both AS and ADHD?

Yeah many people have doctor dx AS and ADHD on this site.

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2006, 6:19 pm

Is it possible to get rid of these associations and incoherent thoughts? Is there any medication that people with ADHD take?

Last edited by innocuous on 04 Oct 2006, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 6:20 pm

OCD is known for randomly associating things with another too - but I wonder if some of this is just a connectiveness that other people do not notice. Occassionally I have mentioned things that I have noticed and other people will say they have not thought of that before but that they agree. Some of these associations can be intrusive and unwanted though so I don't know how that fits into your description of daydreaming.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 6:21 pm

The trick is to set boundries, to learn to catch yourself when you get far enough out in associations that they become irrelevant to the original subject.

Return to the starting point and pick a new direction.

Just watch out for circles :P

As others have stated ADHD is common among those with AS but at least that part can be treated with medication and/or meditation.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 6:31 pm

innocuous wrote:
Is it possible to get rid of these associations and incoherent thoughts? Is there any medicine that people with ADHD take?

Yeah lots of drugs. Stimulants usually. Lots of pros and cons associated with there use.

First you very well may not feel like "yourself" when they shut down the theta brainwaves (by stimulating your brain to beta).

Side effects can be extreme: dry mouth, loss of appitite, nerious, increase BP in some,
sweating, etc

The most effective with fewwest side effects dexedrine or d-methamphetamine
(available in the US) will likely only be rx by and expensive $150 hour Dr requiring monthly visit. Control substances can only be rx for 30 days at a time. So That might be $200 or more a month.

The less effective more easy to get drugs include strettara (spelled wrong) (expensive patent medicine) or generic Wellbutrin can be obtaned from any GP DR and he can write up to a 6 months rx if he chooses. You might try a low cost health clinic that
will have a low Dr visit cost. But again they will be less effective and just as many side effects.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 7:32 pm

I was diagnosed as a teenager with ADHD (and, being female, it was kinda rare...). And that "associative" thought pattern was one of the reasons, apparently. But it doesn't seem to fit since aven as a child I used to read the encyclopedia / dictionary / thesaurus for hours without becoming bored... A child who reads both french and English and memorizes poems at the age of four CAN'T have ADHD...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 7:58 pm

I have the same pattern; and it really does distract me from my schoolwork, and from conversations with other people, which often get boring (and speech is such a slow way of communicating anyway).

But it even happens when I'm doing things I enjoy that just happen to have mildly boring parts--for example, leveling on "safe" monsters while playing an RPG. I don't know how many times I've died because my mind was off in la-la land, and I let my HP get so low that I get killed by a sickly rat or something else equally humiliating.

It's even happening right now, while I'm typing this post.

Lately I've been experimenting with caffeine pills (200 mg every 4 hours), and these seem to give me a little more focus.

I really do suspect ADHD at this point... or at the very least, ADHD-like symptoms caused by depression. The only thing is that my depression is fading, controlled by medication and counseling; but the ADHD-like symptoms are still there.

Quote:
A child who reads both french and English and memorizes poems at the age of four CAN'T have ADHD...
...unless said child also has a high intelligence, allowing him/her to pick up those poems just from having listened to them once or twice. ADHD and giftedness are often closely associated. (And besides, learning two languages before you are four is easy enough to do--young brains are so very suited to learning language. Reading that early is probably typical Aspie hyperlexia. Do you perchance have an aptitude for languages today?)

I had straight A's during my elementary days, and one or two B's total during high school; this wasn't because I knew how to study, but because, when I sat in class, the teacher only had to say things once, and I'd pick them up--even while daydreaming about my current special interest.

My thoughts were always so much faster than the world around me... only a very small part of my mind was actually needed to pay attention to the teacher. The problem is that, now that I'm in college with my intellectual equals, I need to pay attention to a higher degree than I used to when I was a child--but I don't know how. Not to mention that, when you are intelligent and just "pick things up", you don't learn a thing about how to study when you're not intensely interested in something...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 8:06 pm

Callista wrote:
But it even happens when I'm doing things I enjoy that just happen to have mildly boring parts--for example, leveling on "safe" monsters while playing an RPG. I don't know how many times I've died because my mind was off in la-la land, and I let my HP get so low that I get killed by a sickly rat or something else equally humiliating.(...)

I really do suspect ADHD at this point... or at the very least, ADHD-like symptoms caused by depression. The only thing is that my depression is fading, controlled by medication and counseling; but the ADHD-like symptoms are still there.

Quote:
A child who reads both french and English and memorizes poems at the age of four CAN'T have ADHD...
...unless said child also has a high intelligence, allowing him/her to pick up those poems just from having listened to them once or twice.

I had straight A's during my elementary days, and one or two B's total during high school; this wasn't because I knew how to study, but because, when I sat in class, the teacher only had to say things once, and I'd pick them up--even while daydreaming about my current special interest.

My thoughts were always so much faster than the world around me... only a very small part of my mind was actually needed to pay attention to the teacher. The problem is that, now that I'm in college with my intellectual equals, I need to pay attention to a higher degree than I used to when I was a child--but I don't know how. Not to mention that, when you are intelligent and just "pick things up", you don't learn a thing about how to study when you're not intensely interested in something...

I'm still amazed at the fact that stuff like what I quoted above ISN'T JUST ME!... 8O