Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
My idea is that the surplus humans could be used to bring life to dead planets.

First in our own solar system, and as technologies are developed and improved, every star that we can reach afterward.

With current technology that means no stars other than our sun. The nearest star to us is 4 ly and the best speed we have managed is of the order of 100,000 mph. Figure it out.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
My idea is that the surplus humans could be used to bring life to dead planets.

First in our own solar system, and as technologies are developed and improved, every star that we can reach afterward.

With current technology that means no stars other than our sun. The nearest star to us is 4 ly and the best speed we have managed is of the order of 100,000 mph. Figure it out.

ruveyn

even then its possible with a lifespan of a 1000 years, or you could make generational ships.

(not that there is any actual indication we will only have the technology of today when we do so)

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:43 am

Oodain wrote:

even then its possible with a lifespan of a 1000 years, or you could make generational ships.

At 1000 years a generation a trip to Alph Centuri would be ten generations each living in a tin can. And if anything goes wrong they are goners.

And that solution would probably cost ten time s the GDP of the U.S. It is a very bad investment.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

At 1000 years a generation a trip to Alph Centuri would be ten generations each living in a tin can. And if anything goes wrong they are goners.

And that solution would probably cost ten time s the GDP of the U.S. It is a very bad investment.

ruveyn

with todays tech yes, it is foolish to think that is all we will have.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:54 am

Oodain wrote:

There is little or nothing on the horizon to indicate we will ever live long enough or go fast enough to get to another star. We may look as much as we wish, but we can not touch.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:58 am

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

There is little or nothing on the horizon to indicate we will ever live long enough or go fast enough to get to another star. We may look as much as we wish, but we can not touch.

ruveyn

we could start researching a new generation of thermonuclear rockets, about ten times the energy density of chemical rockets to start with.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

Oodain wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

ruveyn

we could start researching a new generation of thermonuclear rockets, about ten times the energy density of chemical rockets to start with.

What is the top speed there? About one tenth c? Maybe. And how does that extend the human life span. At 1/10 c the relativistic time dilation is barely measurable.

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
At 1000 years a generation a trip to Alph Centuri would be ten generations
ruveyn

people can not reproduce after about 55 for women, so 55 years is the maximum time between generations.
usually, generations would be defined as more like 20 years apart from each other (in a normal biological sense).

that makes 500 generations.

if the gravity supplied by their transporter habitat was not similar (rotating giant tubular wheel), and the lighting characteristics etc were not similar to their destination, they would not be able to survive for long when they got there (the planet of choice orbiting alpha centauri).

it is not possible to travel at extreme speeds for that long without encountering an obstacle that would destroy the ship. one can not take evasive action from an an object the size of a pebble at those speeds, and a collision with a pebble at that speed would end the saga.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

Quote:

ruveyn

...until someone invents something. But, for sure, if you take the attitude that "nothing will ever" then nothing will.

You can only be a rock star if you believe you are a rock star. I believe there are enough believers in the world that one day we will reach out and touch the stars.

When I was a child, we had phones attached to walls. The comic book, Dick Tracey, was an impossible fantasy. Someone believed it and here we are. Star Trek? There are actually scientists working on transporter technology and making some progress. Many feel that the phenomenon of this TV show actually revitalized our Space Program which has been privately funded for years.

Never say never.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

unduki wrote:
Never say never.

that is a self defeating sentence.

you use the word "never" to say that the word "never" must not ever be be said.

i am glad to retire and go to bed now because i can not understand.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

LOL, I always thought that was the point... Glad you got it.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 4:47 pm

b9 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
At 1000 years a generation a trip to Alph Centuri would be ten generations
ruveyn

people can not reproduce after about 55 for women, so 55 years is the maximum time between generations.
usually, generations would be defined as more like 20 years apart from each other (in a normal biological sense).

that makes 500 generations.

if the gravity supplied by their transporter habitat was not similar (rotating giant tubular wheel), and the lighting characteristics etc were not similar to their destination, they would not be able to survive for long when they got there (the planet of choice orbiting alpha centauri).

it is not possible to travel at extreme speeds for that long without encountering an obstacle that would destroy the ship. one can not take evasive action from an an object the size of a pebble at those speeds, and a collision with a pebble at that speed would end the saga.

technically a generation is the time between an organisms birth to when it reproduces on average,

if humans live for a thousand years i think our birth rates and birth age would reflect that.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

Quote:
if humans live for a thousand years i think our birth rates and birth age would reflect that.

God help us. I'm 52 and seriously wouldn't be interested in bearing children at this time in my life, living each year as I have. Years can really stack up, one by one. That's a real thing to consider. To live for 1000 years would mean a human would have to own 1000 years. They would be lonely, disturbed people.

If we develop technology to travel to distant destinations, we'll probably develop technologies that will get us there faster as well.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 6:01 pm

unduki wrote:
Quote:

God help us. I'm 52 and seriously wouldn't be interested in bearing children at this time in my life, living each year as I have. Years can really stack up, one by one. That's a real thing to consider. To live for 1000 years would mean a human would have to own 1000 years. They would be lonely, disturbed people.

If we develop technology to travel to distant destinations, we'll probably develop technologies that will get us there faster as well.

your body degrades now, that might not be the case for the future.
true the psychology of it all are uncharted waters so who knows how humans will cope.

as i said friends and family are what i worry about,

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 7:24 pm

unduki wrote:
Quote:

ruveyn

...until someone invents something. But, for sure, if you take the attitude that "nothing will ever" then nothing will.

You can only be a rock star if you believe you are a rock star. I believe there are enough believers in the world that one day we will reach out and touch the stars.

When I was a child, we had phones attached to walls. The comic book, Dick Tracey, was an impossible fantasy. Someone believed it and here we are. Star Trek? There are actually scientists working on transporter technology and making some progress. Many feel that the phenomenon of this TV show actually revitalized our Space Program which has been privately funded for years.

Never say never.

No matter how clever we are we cannot go faster than light. As a practical matter we cannot even go at one tenth the speed of light. The fastest human built vehicle has gone maybe 60 to 70 thousand miles per hour. The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second.

ruveyn

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 7:45 pm

unduki wrote:
My grandmother is 104. My grandfather died at 86. Her last sibling died when she was 92. She was 7th of 11. She stopped driving at 97 and went from her own apartment to the local home. My grandfather provided for her until she was 100. He thought that would be enough. He gave the rest to his sons and they mostly squandered it. She's broken both hips and survived maybe 7 battles with pneumonia. She lives on Social Security now. The living isn't quite as nice.

Her closest age mate that she knows is 94. Grandma was 13 when she babysat her; she sees her as sort of a pest. Most of the people she loved are gone and those she knew have changed with age and she doesn't really know anyone other than the few who visit her frequently. Grandma spends her days listening to the birds in the aviary she and Grandpa donated to the home over 25 years ago.

She says she doesn't know why she's still alive. She figures God must have a purpose for her. She simply endures and beats visitors at dominoes.

I think 100 years is plenty. I'm ready now but I figure I've got another 30 or 40 years to go. I figure if I have to live, I want to be in the best health possible. I'm a bit of a health freak.

My dad is 82 and has been in poor health for the past 10 years. He's suffered through a lot of pain and gross stuff. 10 years at death's door and he's probably going to hang on for another 10. It's frustrating to watch. I think it's silly to live like you're dying, but I've never been 80 so I don't know. Maybe I'll think differently then.

You're missing the point though. Curing aging would mean that you DON'T grow old physically. So when you were 200, you would look and feel 25 or 30.