"BBC - Brain Find Sheds Light on Autism"

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 12:46 am

BBC News - Brain Find Sheds Light on Autism

This is actually a super cool finding. The scientists basically took skin cells from individuals with Timothy Syndrome, and made neurons. From my understanding, they compared the growth of neurons to neurotypical children, and found that there were fewer neurons equipped for the upper cerebral cortex, and few for the lower part. They said that it "...meant there were fewer neurons equipped to work in a part of the brain called the corpus callosum, which has the role of helping the left and right "hemispheres" of the brain communicate." Many scientists think that autism is partially due to poor communication between both hemispheres of the brain (and other parts), and I think it's cool that an experiment like this demonstrates this theory. They also said that the neurons in individuals with Timothy Syndrome were making too much norepinephrine and dopamine, which "play a significant role in sensory processing and social behaviour". Timothy Syndrome is different from an autism spectrum disorder (with specific physical anomalies to do with structure of the heart and webbing of digits...I don't really know much about it), although they say ASDs occur with the syndrome. I hope they continue with studies comparing other ASDs to each other. I'd definitely be interested in learning about that.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 2:08 am

i long have had the feeling that the different parts of my noodle weren't on too good speaking terms.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2011, 3:31 am

You, too, Auntblabby? ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 5:27 am

^^^
misery loves company :)

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 9:09 am

Well, people have said that our "brain wiring" is a bit off. Though I am curious if MRIs and other tests have revealed how our brains go about storing and retrieving information. Would some areas highlight that aren't normally associated with a typical region of the brain's function? Stuff like that would be interesting to find out.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

We have more brain cells.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
misery loves company :)

Count me in, too!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 1:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
i long have had the feeling that the different parts of my noodle weren't on too good speaking terms.

:lol:

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 6:07 am

Do you suppose this is what accounts for uneven test scores?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

Like my mother used to say, "How can you be so smart and so stupid!" :lol: