Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

I was looking online at something the other day, and came across a whole slew of information regarding the Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece and how some people don't like it because they hold the stance of neurodiversity. What's your opinion? Is the puzzle piece symbol wrong? Should it, or should it not be worn?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

dobrolvr wrote:
I was looking online at something the other day, and came across a whole slew of information regarding the Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece and how some people don't like it because they hold the stance of neurodiversity. What's your opinion? Is the puzzle piece symbol wrong? Should it, or should it not be worn?

I am confused why would having the stance of neurodiversity make someone dislike that symbol?

I don't think it is nessisarly right or wrong, but I am not quite sure what wearing that symbol would imply exactly, and for neurodiversity I would say Autism and AS are not the only variations from normal neurological functioning so it is a bit ridiculous to refer to anyone who does not have Autism or AS as neurotypical since there are other variations.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 11:20 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
dobrolvr wrote:

I am confused why would having the stance of neurodiversity make someone dislike that symbol?

I don't think it is nessisarly right or wrong, but I am not quite sure what wearing that symbol would imply exactly, and for neurodiversity I would say Autism and AS are not the only variations from normal neurological functioning so it is a bit ridiculous to refer to anyone who does not have Autism or AS as neurotypical since there are other variations.

Yeah, I was confused too...that's why I was wondering. It seems they were trying to say something like, the puzzle piece symbol is just another awareness symbol for a disease, but they feel like Autism and AS should not be treated as such, therefore, the puzzle piece symbol should not be used. I don't know, I was just wondering, because I didn't quite understand...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

I wouldn't wear one because Autism Speaks uses that symbol and I don't support Autism Speaks. I'm not a puzzle that needs to be figured out and put together, I'm a free range Aspie.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wouldn't wear one because Autism Speaks uses that symbol and I don't support Autism Speaks. I'm not a puzzle that needs to be figured out and put together, I'm a free range Aspie.

Yes, that's what a lot of individuals were saying in the information I came across. Do you not support Autism Speaks because they are trying to cure Autism and you don't think it needs to be cured? That's a lot of what they were saying too. I apologize if I'm coming across as ignorant, I'm just new to all of this and I've kind of become obsessed with everything there is to know about it. Thanks for your input!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

I don't like autism speaks because it seems like they are more focused on preventing any further cases of autism, and curing people with it wether they want to be cured or not......then supporting individuals with autism or trying to raise awareness in society so people realise its not always 'bad' to be different.

But I don't have a problem with that symbol, because I am rather hard to figure out so I see nothing wrong with having it acknowledged that a lot of people with AS or regular Autism aren't understood very well......I am opposed to being understood for the purpose of being cured or preventing children with it from being born but being understood so people quit just assuming I'm ret*d, psychopathic or anything else like that would be cool.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't like autism speaks because it seems like they are more focused on preventing any further cases of autism, and curing people with it wether they want to be cured or not......then supporting individuals with autism or trying to raise awareness in society so people realise its not always 'bad' to be different.

But I don't have a problem with that symbol, because I am rather hard to figure out so I see nothing wrong with having it acknowledged that a lot of people with AS or regular Autism aren't understood very well......I am opposed to being understood for the purpose of being cured or preventing children with it from being born but being understood so people quit just assuming I'm ret*d, psychopathic or anything else like that would be cool.

Well said.Thanks! :)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

http://phoenix-kat.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3czytt

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

That is how I feel. Excellent post. Well said.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
http://phoenix-kat.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3czytt

I actually came across this when I Google searched "Asperger's wallpaper" for my computer. I thought that was you, I recognised the user picture. I quite like it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm

If I'm going to wear any symbol at all, it'll be a symbol I make myself, to represent what I do.

I don't get the wearing symbols, t-shirts or whatever else, to advertise that I'm Autistic. The whole idea of stuff like that is too mainstream-fashion-statement-trendy-scripty for me.

If ya can't tell, maybe ya don't need to know. If ya can, yer prolly one yerself, and ya don't need stuff like that.

Besides, I've not needed anyone wearing symbols to meet other Autistics. I've met plenty, none of whom wear anything like it. It wasn't that hard to find them without them having to advertise it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't like autism speaks because it seems like they are more focused on preventing any further cases of autism, and curing people with it wether they want to be cured or not......

I think when someone claims that they worry of someone being cured whether they like it or not, they're considering that they don't want to put up with others getting cured who could benefit from cure due to being lower functioning. They don't want others to become fortunate like they already are, or to have to compete with them.

Quote:
then supporting individuals with autism or trying to raise awareness in society so people realise its not always 'bad' to be different.

Disability is not a neutral difference.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm

dalurker wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't like autism speaks because it seems like they are more focused on preventing any further cases of autism, and curing people with it wether they want to be cured or not......

I think when someone claims that they worry of someone being cured whether they like it or not, they're considering that they don't want to put up with others getting cured who could benefit from cure due to being lower functioning. They don't want others to become fortunate like they already are, or to have to compete with them.

That's quite a lot of reading more into the statement than what the statement says. How do you get from "I don't like the idea of curing people whether they want it or not" to "I don't want others to be fortunate because I may have to compete with them." ? That's quite a leap. I think you are reading an awful lot between the lines.

BTW, I don't subscribe to Sweetleaf's position, but I do think you're assuming an awful lot.

dalurker wrote:
Quote:
then supporting individuals with autism or trying to raise awareness in society so people realise its not always 'bad' to be different.

No, it isn't, but what does that have to do with the quote? Are you saying we should not raise awareness that being different is not necessarily bad, because Autism is actually bad?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:55 pm

dalurker wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Quote:

That's absurd! The post in no way implies that. I do not want a cure for autism as it will be forced upon people, but I would like for there to be a way to increase the functioning of people with Autism, particullary LFA, as its not fair that they should suffer from Autism in ways that the higher functiong people do not.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:07 am

dalurker wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I am someone who would worry about people being cured whether they want it or not. I'm also explicitly someone who states that I'm not against a "cure" existing, and people taking it if they choose to. I think each individual should be able to make that decision without there being any additional pressure to take the "cure". If the person who doesn't want the "cure" is non-verbal or the person who wants it is one of the most "high functioning" cases, I think that both sides must be respected. It's not about functioning level, its about individuals and individuals being allowed to make such drastic decisions as that for themselves. We're not just disabilities we are people. I am not a case study for Asperger's Syndrome, I'm autistic.

As for disability not being neutral, yes, but I don't care that its not neutral, making me not be me would be far more damaging than autism is.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2011, 12:35 am

dalurker wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Hmmm, I don't get that at all. The main problem for me about Autism Speaks is that they present themselves as speaking for all Autistics, yet it is mainly a group made up of NTs. So they talk about cures and such, yet have not bothered to ask any of us what we think! So for you to say "They don't want others to become fortunate like they already are, or to have to compete with them" is a load of BS. I would love to see everyone on the Spectrum healthy, happy, and productive. But, I don't want others to define what that is for me, especially when they are NTs. Who is to say what's "normal" anyway. Maybe Autistics are normal, and NTs are not…