Is It racist to keep track "blacks","whites,

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Is it racist to keep track "blacks","whites", "hispanics", and many other "groups", every time you're writing about Americans?
It's definitely racial, and obsessive enough to be racist. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
No. 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 14

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

pandabear wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Why do Democrats say there are the non-racist party, when every study they do is intensely racial? "Blacks", "whites", "hispanics", "asians", "pacific islanders", etc., etc.

Every American is artificially thrown into groups by "race", gender, economic level -- they always insist on segregating us, as if each "group" that we "belong to" is its own separate country or something. As if we don't all work and interact together on a daily basis. It's like the "Palestinians" and the "Israel Jews" -- true, they differ in principles and agendas more than "blacks" and "whites" do (for there is not ideology to which "blacks" belong as opposed to which "whites" belong), but even in Israel, many Jews and Arabs work together in the same companies and even in government alongside each other and at peace with each other.

Check it out -- what you won't hear from the mainstream media's spin machines:

Most Israeli Arabs Proud to be Israeli:
http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2011/09/most-israeli-arabs-are-proud-to-be.html

Now hold on. Don't you see where you are being more than a tad hypocritical? On the one hand, you excoriate Democrats for doing studies that include demographic information based on race, age, gender, etc. Then, you praise effusively an Israeli study that also provides information based on demographic variables.

My point was that some Arabs and Jews work and play together peacefully and willingly in unity, not the percentages.
The liberal articles I'm talking about like to use race to say how split all our groups apparently are, and to emphasize those differences above all. They use it as a tool to divide Americans against each other further than we actually are. I live in the South, and where I live, blacks and whites who don't even know each other talk casually and comfortably to each other, as if slavery never existed, with total equinimity. This is a picture of unity that the liberal media never present -- it undermines their mantra that the "classes" need to all be at odds with one another, lest we stop for a moment to realize who is become our real enemy and master: the U.S. government.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

Ragtime wrote:
My point was that some Arabs and Jews work and play together peacefully and willingly in unity, not the percentages.
The liberal articles I'm talking about like to use race to say how split all our groups apparently are, and to emphasize those differences above all. They use it as a tool to divide Americans against each other further than we actually are.

Your article does show differences between Jews and Arabs in the percent who said they were either "very proud" or "quite proud" to be Israeli.

Quote:
The Israel Democracy Index survey 2011, released their results a few days ago. One question they asked was intriguing: How proud are you to be an Israeli?

Among Jews, the vast majority - nearly 88% - said they were either "very proud" or "quite proud" to be Israeli.

But the Arab response was positive as well. 52.8% said they were proud, as opposed to 41.6% who said they were not.

There is obviously a difference between Jews and Arabs in the percentage who are proud to be Israeli.

Ragtime wrote:
I live in the South, and where I live, blacks and whites who don't even know each other talk casually and comfortably to each other, as if slavery never existed, with total equinimity. This is a picture of unity that the liberal media never present -- it undermines their mantra that the "classes" need to all be at odds with one another, lest we stop for a moment to realize who is become our real enemy and master: the U.S. government.

I thought that you never listened to "liberal media" anyway. Is this something that Fox Noise says about "liberal media?" And, what has the U.S. government done to disturb you? The increase in "black on white" violence that you had predicted apparently never happened, at least in the South.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 6:01 pm

From what I've observed, Republicans who talk about achieving a color blind society, and accuse the Democrats of racism (including civil Rights leaders who had marched with Dr. King) really mean they don't want to be called on their own possible racism, and so can deny the whole ugly mess.
As I recall, Rush Limbaugh is one of those oafs who keeps accusing Jesse Jackson and his associates of being "the real racists." And yet, he has said that Barack Obama has given up on his "white side," and is motivated by his "black side" in regard to race relations. Limbaugh has made racially charged accusations, such as that social programs under Obama are really "reparations for slavery," giving in to the racist notion that blacks are the primary recipients of the social safety net. On top of that, when Herman Cain had complained about how Rick Perry's ranch had been called "Ni%*#rhead," Limbaugh and other conservatives had bitched that Cain was playing the race card - as if that word doesn't hold an ugly power. Limbaugh knows his audience eats this all up, because they too don't want to be bothered with the legacy of racism. A color blind society essentially means, just stop complaining, because I don't want to hear it.
The fact of the matter is, it;'s not just a matter of whites and blacks being able to speak to each other. After all, there used to be a saying that goes: in the south, blacks can get as close as they want, as long as they don't get too high, while in the north, blacks can get as high as they want, as long as they don't get too close. It's a matter of blacks and other ethnic minorities having the same opportunities of employment and social acceptance - and that is still sadly lacking, though great strides have since been made.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

I am tired of the whole hyphenated American thing, but I don't think just calling someone black or white or Mexican or whatever is racist.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:41 pm

Some diseases plague the various "races" to different degrees. Knowing one's genetic heritage may be necessary for getting the most effective drugs to treat various diseases. Also genetic race may indicate certain dietary restrictions. For example, Asians or more likely to be lactose intolerant than Caucasians.

ruveyn

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Some diseases plague the various "races" to different degrees. Knowing one's genetic heritage may be necessary for getting the most effective drugs to treat various diseases. Also genetic race may indicate certain dietary restrictions. For example, Asians or more likely to be lactose intolerant than Caucasians.

ruveyn

Yeah, race denial to me is just as un-scientific as scientific racism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:41 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

The Daily Show once interviewed some jackass who, in his campaign against drinking milk, claimed milk is racist as it can mainly just be drunk by "Aryans."

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:41 am

As my teach told us, the US's policy is ethnically exclusive, but inclusive on the civil level. =/