Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 5:19 am

Does anyone take this? I am starting it after being on clomipramine for about 13-14 years. I'm very scared. I don't want to get fatter.

CocoRock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2011, 5:53 am

I took Escitalopram for approx five years. I found it was helpful for reducing my anxiety and it put an end to my intense and frequent anxiety attacks, making them a rarer and milder experience.

As for putting on weight...I am unsure whether this is a certain side-effect. My life-style changed dramatically during the time I was taking Escitalopram, for reasons unrelated to the medication. I moved away from my parents, I drank alcohol, I ate processed and fatty foods and I got less excercise. Before my life-style became unhealthy, I did not put on weight. Once my life-style became unhealthy, I did put on a lot of weight and continued to do so until I made healthier choices.

That's just my experience. Based purely on my own experience, I would say that healthy food and excerise will do more to keep you a healthy weight than what medicine you take. These healthier choices were difficult to do while depressed, but when I could manage to do them regularly again, they were a great (albeit gradual) anti-depressant in themselves.

Of course, have a word with your GP (or the appropriate medical person) if you're worried about what you're taking.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 6:01 am

Thanks for your reply. It's quite beneficial to me. I would love to hear from others.

The Psychiatrist I am seeing says it has less effects than the clomipramine.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:52 am

Both Citalopram and Escitalopram were nothing more than placebos for me.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:21 am

I've been on this for anxiety/depression since 2007...no weight gain here. The only side effect I've gotten is feeling more nauseous than usual...although this does not happen very often. Other than that, it has been very positive.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

Been on it for 6 months. Was on it for over a year before.

It does increase your appetite (and disturb your stomach at the same time). I find the side effects worth it because the medication helps me to handle the mood disorder. I don't want to even think about where I'd be without it.

I've put on about a stone but before I was medicated, I wasn't eating properly.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

My prescription have been changed yesterday, the citalopram been replaced by escitalopram... First pill tonight, I gonna see what happen...

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

My doctor believes there is no discernible difference between escitalopram (Lexapro) and citalopram (Celexa); only that the drug company wanted to develop a new product after the patent expired.

I have been on Celexa for six months and have felt no discernible difference. We may drop it altogether and switch to a different antidepressant.

****************************************************************************************

Check out "Problem Child," my memoir of life with autism.