Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

number2
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

Is anyone here actually good at fighting?

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

Not bad. Fighting is more about technique than brute strength (although size helps). Develop a couple of good moves and you will be well-served when the need arises. I'm not a martial arts guy, but it seems like a great outlet for Aspies ... precise and logical.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 1:44 am

Yes, I used to always get into brawls and I was physically bullied almost daily.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 2:14 am

MathGirl wrote:
Yes, I used to always get into brawls and I was physically bullied almost daily.

^- Yep. Daily fights for years. I now have long term PTSD from jr high / high school / boy scouts. Had stitches 28 times, from fighting. I was very scrawny, started high school weighing 80 lbs.

I got mean. Real mean. Then I started dissociating during physical trauma, having involuntary instinctive reactions when people picked fights. I never started a fight in my life. But I stopped getting angry and just went cold. Started fighting dirty. Hitting people with sticks, stabbing them with a protractor. I started "winning." Every time. That encouraged the bullies to "get revenge" so they started jumping me nearly every day.

In a fight, I can see myself hurting people. I don't want to, but I can't stop it. I have no formal training and am not very strong. Yet I can clearly see myself redirecting attacks mid-swing so that they will hit a specific target to disarm, incapacitate or cause more damage.

A book I read called this effect "cold iron," whereas the berserk fury is called "hot iron." And like the book says, cold iron beats hot iron 3 times out of 4.

- A really crappy story -

The last fight I was in was about a year ago at some show in St Louis. The singer in the band was being a jerk, punching audience members and whipping them with the microphone. A real macho tough guy. He started coming at me and wouldn't let up. I had not said or done anything to provoke him. I tried to back away, but he pushed through the crowd, hit me in the face and called me a fa***t. I went cold. I backed up two rows and just stood there and waited. Watching. The next time he came for me, which wasn't very long afterwards, he tried to push through two people to get at me. He got tangled up in them a little but still tried to throw the mic at me.

When I bent down to dodge the mic my body went forward a little, and I saw myself reach under and up through the spaghetti of 3 peoples' arms to come up into an uppercut that landed right on the singer's chin. It knocked him back a couple steps. I closed the gap and yelled in his ear "quit hitting people. the object is to help people up, not knock them down!" He sang another line of the song, and then suddenly came at me again.

This time when I dodged, I stepped between his legs and locked my foot around his far heel and just pushed him over. When he got up and came back at me, I did the same thing. A third time, same thing. Then he threw the mic (not his, the venue's) against the wall and yelled "we're done." The rest of the band ganged up around me and were threatening to kick my @#$. They were raging hot, I was dead cold. I was completely unimpressed and unafraid. I explained what had happened, and they all just called me a fa***t a lot and screamed in my face

When I realized that they weren't actually going to attack me or anyone else, I left the show and went home. Then I came down and just cried, for hours. For months and months I tried to understand why I couldn't just walk away. A lot of people thanked me for fighting that singer in the following months, which just upsets me even more. I freaking hate fighting and it just keeps happening to me.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 4:09 am

Spent many years while I was younger getting my Black Belt in Kenpo Karate and have had some karate fights in the past(some knockout fights and point fighting), all against larger people. Surprisingly, I did very good, when my parents weren't watching(got nervous with them watching me). I pair Karate with some kick boxing technique and styles I learned from taking some classes which helped me learn to punch with my knuckles better as opposed to open hand/palm strikes which is taught a lot in Karate, then some basic jiu jitsu, and sparring with wrestlers helped feeling more comfortable when having to grapple. It has been awhile since I've last fought, multiple years, but that fire is still inside of me, I workout and I practice techniques I've learned through classes, videos I watch on YT, in order to stay sharp as can be without sparring partners and trainers. I would say I could handle a lot of encounters if I had to, when it comes to hand to hand combat, at least I could beat a lot of dumbies out there who likes picking fights or those who have little training. There's a lot of people like that out there fortunately, or unfortunately.

Outside of official sport fights, I've won every fight I've gotten into, which isn't a lot, but I have my scars and so do they. I would never recommend street fighting though. I think it's an absolute last resort, stupid, and very dangerous.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:56 am

Burnbridge wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

^- Yep. Daily fights for years. I now have long term PTSD from jr high / high school / boy scouts. Had stitches 28 times, from fighting. I was very scrawny, started high school weighing 80 lbs.

I got mean. Real mean. Then I started dissociating during physical trauma, having involuntary instinctive reactions when people picked fights. I never started a fight in my life. But I stopped getting angry and just went cold. Started fighting dirty. Hitting people with sticks, stabbing them with a protractor. I started "winning." Every time. That encouraged the bullies to "get revenge" so they started jumping me nearly every day.

In a fight, I can see myself hurting people. I don't want to, but I can't stop it. I have no formal training and am not very strong. Yet I can clearly see myself redirecting attacks mid-swing so that they will hit a specific target to disarm, incapacitate or cause more damage.

A book I read called this effect "cold iron," whereas the berserk fury is called "hot iron." And like the book says, cold iron beats hot iron 3 times out of 4.

- A really crappy story -

The last fight I was in was about a year ago at some show in St Louis. The singer in the band was being a jerk, punching audience members and whipping them with the microphone. A real macho tough guy. He started coming at me and wouldn't let up. I had not said or done anything to provoke him. I tried to back away, but he pushed through the crowd, hit me in the face and called me a fa***t. I went cold. I backed up two rows and just stood there and waited. Watching. The next time he came for me, which wasn't very long afterwards, he tried to push through two people to get at me. He got tangled up in them a little but still tried to throw the mic at me.

When I bent down to dodge the mic my body went forward a little, and I saw myself reach under and up through the spaghetti of 3 peoples' arms to come up into an uppercut that landed right on the singer's chin. It knocked him back a couple steps. I closed the gap and yelled in his ear "quit hitting people. the object is to help people up, not knock them down!" He sang another line of the song, and then suddenly came at me again.

This time when I dodged, I stepped between his legs and locked my foot around his far heel and just pushed him over. When he got up and came back at me, I did the same thing. A third time, same thing. Then he threw the mic (not his, the venue's) against the wall and yelled "we're done." The rest of the band ganged up around me and were threatening to kick my @#$. They were raging hot, I was dead cold. I was completely unimpressed and unafraid. I explained what had happened, and they all just called me a fa***t a lot and screamed in my face

When I realized that they weren't actually going to attack me or anyone else, I left the show and went home. Then I came down and just cried, for hours. For months and months I tried to understand why I couldn't just walk away. A lot of people thanked me for fighting that singer in the following months, which just upsets me even more. I freaking hate fighting and it just keeps happening to me.

Used to happen to me when I was younger. Though not the bullying/fighting (not nearly as much anyway). But the 'cold iron' or whatever. I f*****g love that feeling.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2011, 2:24 pm

No. I've gone 44 years without getting in a fight, and now I'm too old to learn. But I look huge & scary as a bodybuilder, so hopefully that'll carry me through and I won't ever have to fight anyone. I'm sure I'd lose.

Charles

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2011, 6:03 pm

kx250rider wrote:
No. I've gone 44 years without getting in a fight, and now I'm too old to learn. But I look huge & scary as a bodybuilder, so hopefully that'll carry me through and I won't ever have to fight anyone. I'm sure I'd lose.

Charles

Brute strength is enough to win most fights. If that thing you're holding in your avatar is as heavy as I think it is, you'd probably flatten the average man within seconds.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

Icyclan wrote:
kx250rider wrote:

Charles

Brute strength is enough to win most fights. If that thing you're holding in your avatar is as heavy as I think it is, you'd probably flatten the average man within seconds.

Thanks :) . I hope the potential fighter would think the same. That siren head I'm holding is appx. 550 lbs. I didn't pick it up from the ground, but I am actually holding it. I had to use wrist hooks as you can see, because finger joints can't hold that much 8O . I did it for a stunt for a photo.

Charles

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

04 Dec 2011, 11:38 pm

Used to be as a kid.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

04 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

Used to be as a kid.

number2
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

MathGirl wrote:

That sucks... right now I'm in a stage in my life where I need to get toughend up because I know that people would just try to use me so I need to learn how to never let that happen again.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 2:06 am

I could break off people more often than not as long as they aren't significantly bigger than I am.

That's a big qualification though cause I am not a large imposing guy. But I will break an arm if dudes are not careful.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Burnbridge wrote:

I have this happen to me. Its funny because most NTs think that my lack of Emotional response to physical danger means that theyre "Safe" to keep escalating a confrontation with me. I dont know what it is, but I just CANT get Emotional while fighting. In fact, if im already emotional sudden physical pain or eminent danger calm me down, pretty much instantly. I start seeing Options and calculating probable outcomes. I mean, though, that this just sort of "happens" for me. Im aware that there are several options, but I seem to just do the one thats most Incapacitating instantly. And Yelling, screaming, calling me"n****r", talking about my mother... none of this mattters to me - none of it will get a physical reaction. but the second a person moves to do me harm, I break them like a toy. No "rules", no regard - they stop being able to function under their own power. when I was 10 a guy in his thirties came at me full stop and I just stood there and let him get 1 step out then I closed the gap and shoved my housekey into his trachea. I dont think I was upset, or even annoyed. I mostly wondered why anyone would commit so stupidly to an attack like that. Now that Im larger, however , most of my attacks focus on the Joints, as bleeding tends to cause panic, ive learned.

Now the funny thing is that I can be VERY emotional under the right circumstances. I cry, i get hurt, all of that, but something inside of me NEVER connects that to Hitting. I dont think Ive ever just HIT someone, from an emotional response. Its always a calculated move, and almost aways a consequence of real or imminent danger. I also dont think that I can remember crying because of physical pain. Screaming yes, crying not so much.

Ive been very involved in the Martial Arts, and even in structured "fights" (which are really just sparring matches with people you dont know) Im the same way. People have always asked me to "teach" this to them, and I cant!

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Icyclan wrote:
kx250rider wrote:

Charles

Thanks :) . I hope the potential fighter would think the same. That siren head I'm holding is appx. 550 lbs. I didn't pick it up from the ground, but I am actually holding it. I had to use wrist hooks as you can see, because finger joints can't hold that much 8O . I did it for a stunt for a photo.

Charles

Hes right, brother. I say this to students ALL THE TIME - "Most of what we do here is NOT learn techniques, first you must turn your BODY into something capable of being USED as a WEAPON!"

You're 80% of the way there already!

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

you're NOT too old

Instruction near you:

Wuzhong Jia 1350 E. Arapaho, Ste. 122 Richardson, TX 75081 (972)671-9648 [email protected] www.HeBeiWushu.com HeBei Hsing I Tai Chi (Chen, Yang Wu, Hao, Sun) Pa Kua Chang Chi Kung

Stanley Johnson 1746 Jay Ell Dr. Richardson, TX 75081 (972)442-6104 www.southernskykungfu.com Pa-Kua Chang Yang Tai Chi Authentic Kung Fu, Inc.

Steve Cottrell 7519 C Chapel Avenue Fort Worth, Texas 76116 817.244.2347 http://www.authentickungfu.com/index.html Praying Mantis

Wing Chun Taijiquan EBMAS Wing Tsun Graham Weedon Studio 3 Dance N.E. Corner of Coit and Park Blvd 2220 Coit Rd, Suite 440 Plano, 75075 Phone: 972-398-3160 Email [email protected] http://www.weboutsourcing.com/wingtsun/ourschool.htm

Wei-Chen Ni 5220 Village Creek Dr. Plano, TX 75093 (972) 867-7728 Tai Chi Chuan Pa Kua Chang Hsing I Chuan

CapuraGinga Dallas Titans Gymnastics Dance & Fitness Center, 2150 Willow Grove Rd, Lewisville, TX 75067 Contact: Manga - (214) 629-4786 http://www.capuradallas.com/

Richard Peck Iva Peck 5924 W. Parker Rd., Ste. 100 Plano, TX 75093 (972)473-9070 Tai Chi Chuan Pa Kua Chang Hsing I Chuan

Angola Sao Bento Grande Instructor: Nigel Boyd Address: 3400 South Fitzhugh Dallas, Texas 75210 Phone: 214.939.2787

Machado Jiu-Jitsu Instructor Carlos Machado Black Belt, 6th degree 13720 Midway Rd., Suite 210 Dallas, TX 75244 972-934-1316