Binding loose 8.5" x 11" sheets (w/o hole punching

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:13 pm

To save money, I have been printing my own textbooks for school. It takes about $10 worth of paper and off-brand toner to run off a 600 page textbook, which is some pretty significant savings on a $150 book. The time it takes to punch binding holes in 600 sheets of paper is a more significant cost which I would like to reduce. Motorola used to send datasheets for their microcontrollers bound with what looked like an adhesive-backed plastic strip. It worked fine and looked fast and cheap. I would like to bind my books in a similar fashion, but don't know the name for that type of binding or if it is something that I can do at home.

Does anyone have any advice for binding loose 8.5" x 11" sheets of paper? I need it to be fast. The cheaper, the better.

Thanks!

Edit: Grrr, WP truncated my title...

Franma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

Hi mcg

Search google with this phrase - book binding glue strips

Seems there are some thermal book binding machines and strips that would work for under $100 to make 50 books

Hope that helps.

"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Hans Asperger

In the end I'm just me whatever that may be

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm

Nice, that is exactly what I was looking for. The adhesive strips look pretty reasonably priced, about $1-2 per book. The binding machine looks like it will run me $150-200 for the kind of capacity I need (600 pages), but that should be well worth the time I save punching holes.

Thank's for the help!