Would getting a diagnosis of Asperger's be beneficial?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lost_in_Reverie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

Hello.

Months among months ago, I learned about Asperger's Syndrome. It made me hysterical and deeply saddened, though this only lasted a few days. Personally, I felt like this was due to the fact that I know who I am and what I'm like-- there's just a word for it now. I told my mother about it. She laughed and said that I didn't have it, regarding my mere inquiry of it as trivial. This made me upset and angry, though this did not last too long. After months of extensive research of the Syndrome, I have become positive that I do, in fact, have it. Asperger's Syndrome describes me in such a way that is equally intriguing and terrifying.

I am female and nearing the age of sixteen. I do not want help, as I find it a hassle and see it as being potentially awkward. I am also completely functional in my schooling. I have friends to talk to in each of my classes (though they aren't what most would consider as close friends) and I'm content with them. Due to my gullibility, oblivion (I spend a lot of time 'in my own head'), and lack of what today's adolescent youth regards as "common sense", they consider me as being stupid, and this is ironic as I am quite capable in academic terms. Though I have had trouble with teasing and bullying, this is only in my nonacademic classes generally.

Fear is something that I have regards to after high school. I do not know whether having Asperger's would negatively affect my ability to function in college and afterward.

So here is my question: would getting a diagnosis of Asperger's be beneficial? And after that, would seeking help be worth the time and money spent? I definitely do not fit into the special education classes, yet I'm not sure whether getting assistance with the disorder is worth its while. If you would, please share your thoughts about these questions to me. I am contemplating both courses of action. Getting the diagnosis itself would be a difficult task on its own in my case: convincing my parents. I believe they do not think I have Asperger's due to the fact that they are used to the way I behave, or perhaps they have convinced themselves that there is nothing wrong with me, as I have noticed that most parents take pride in their children and seek to ignore what they consider faults of theirs. I also think it might have to do with their thinking that Asperger's Syndrome equals full-blown autism.

My apologies if I have went off track of the subject and questions of interest. Any feedback would be appreciative.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

If you don't need help in school and your parents aren't willing then wait until you're an adult. College is generally easier than high school as far as the social stuff. You might want to go to a community college for your core requirements because the classes are smaller and generally taught by Phd's rather than assistants. If you do need help you can always get it later. As far as parents go (and I am one), is there really any reason other than wanting to share a new discovery why you need to convince them of anything? Is there something you want them to do differently?

By the way, your writing is quite good. Just a bit of polishing and you'll ace the writing parts.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 9:01 pm

Well, my experience, I got my DX at 17 after high school. Tried to go for treatment at 20, they said there's really no treatment unless you're in high school, and then it's handled within the school system. Most I can do is like some ASD support group thing.

I'd say get the diagnosis now, while you're still in school, first off get the diagnosis to see if you actually have it and aren't just a socially awkward nerd. Second off, you can use the DX as leverage in school, in case things get sour in high school ever, you have the option of retreat with that diagnosis. Whereas without a DX, you can't retreat into special ed, tutoring, or anything like that, gotta face it head on.

One thing too, it might not be "Aspergers" it might be more a PDD-NOS kinda thing, too. For me specifically, I found out I have NVLD. NVLD tends to get diagnosed with girls more. Basically, there's a gap in your verbal IQ and your performance IQ, your verbal IQ is usually pretty high, sometimes genius level, but your nonverbal is usually pretty low. My gap is like 130+/80, but other people on here I've read have had like 130/65. So, if you don't have massive social problems, NVLD could be more likely. Basically, it's a right brain deficiency. NVLD more or less acts like Aspergers, but scientists and whatever are debating whether or not it should be included into ASD or not. The causation for NVLD is pretty easy, though, it's not some mystery disease like Aspergers, it's just your right brain sorta sucks. NVLD is entirely neurological in it's diagnosis, too, they give you some IQ tests, and you basically either have it or don't. I think they consider NVLD like a 20 point IQ gap. You can even test yourself for it, go online and look up a verbal IQ test and look up a performance IQ test, and take them and see how far off they are. Also, you might get further with your parents suggesting NVLD, too, as it's not got the stigma of AS attached to it, and there's a logical concrete explanation for it all. But yeah, since you're a girl, lots of girls who would be AS if they're boys simply get NVLD diagnosis.

But yeah, if you do want treatment for it or help in anyway, get a diagnosis now, as you're fast approaching your window where treatment's not really available. But, if you don't want treatment or accommodation in any way, I'd say pretty much don't bother. Seriously look into NVLD, too, though.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm

I've answered so often what I've gotten from my diagnosis (as a young adult), that its just written into a blog post to link to now.

http://turtleisaverb.blogspot.com/2011/ ... nosis.html

Is it worth it for you now? I don't know, do you need help with anything? If you don't need help, then probably no. Is it worth it to do for later? Also maybe.

What I can say is that its helped me a huge deal when I was diagnosed at age 22 and that I wish I had been diagnosed at 13 or 14 when the idea came up.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm

I think you should seek the diagnosis to confirm or disconfirm if you have aspergers. Just getting the diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean you will be placed in special ed. But it confirms you as an disabled part of the population and it gives you access to services. Besides, if you want to see psychs in the future, it would work better to have a confirmed aspergers diagnosis.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here