What's your opinion on extraterrestrial life?

Page 1 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

What do you think of extraterrestrial life?
I think we are alone in the Universe and god made Humans the Pinnacle of Creation 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think we are alone in the Universe because life is extremely improbable and Earth is the only place with it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but it's never visited Earth 46%  46%  [ 29 ]
I think the Universe almost certainly has other life, and it's possible we've been visited 40%  40%  [ 25 ]
I feel certain we have been visited 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 63

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 7:59 pm

I'm of the opinion we have probably been visited, based on personal experience, but I don't feel completely sure.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

• I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but there is no valid material evidence to support the claim that it's ever visited Earth.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:03 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I'm of the opinion we have probably been visited, based on personal experience, but I don't feel completely sure.

Ahh..

"Personal experience"?

How close was the encounter you had?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
  • I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but there is no valid material evidence to support the claim that it's ever visited Earth.

This

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

donnie_darko wrote:

We have no hard evidence to support that hunch. I think we have been Visited, but I have not a scintilla of evidence to back up my hunch. Why do I think so? Because in a period of less than 1000 years between 5000 b.c.e and 4000 b.c.e. mankind all of a sudden (so to speak) started looking for natural principles and fixed rules to explain nature rather than the Whim of the Gods. This happened in China, Babyon, Egypt and in Meso-America. Why did the human race wake up all over at pretty much the same time? Did the human race get a little help from the Outside? Who knows?

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

donnie_darko wrote:

Did they probe Uranus?

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

Ahh..

"Personal experience"?

How close was the encounter you had?

Well I've never seen an actual alien physically manifest, though I did see a 'shadow figure' once. I've had very very disturbing, traumatic dreams involving aliens. Their scar on my psyche is so large I can't just dismiss them as fantasies. One dream sequence I had was literally as real as waking life. I've had lucid dreams but even those weren't as real as that was.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I did see a 'shadow figure' once.

Was it by any chance... a shadow?

donnie_darko wrote:
I've had very very disturbing, traumatic dreams involving aliens. Their scar on my psyche is so large I can't just dismiss them as fantasies.

I have dreams involving zombies; often. I tend to remember them very well and think about them later. Sometimes I dream about generic aliens. Does this mean I should conclude that they are both real based on the fact that they are dreams I remember well?

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:15 pm

Vigilans wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
I did see a 'shadow figure' once.

Was it by any chance... a shadow?

donnie_darko wrote:
I've had very very disturbing, traumatic dreams involving aliens. Their scar on my psyche is so large I can't just dismiss them as fantasies.

I have dreams involving zombies; often. I tend to remember them very well and think about them later. Sometimes I dream about generic aliens. Does this mean I should conclude that they are both real based on the fact that they are dreams I remember well?

Nope. definitely wasn't a shadow because one second it was there, next it wasn't. Unless it was some kind of amazing hallucination, i saw something. With that said, the human brain does have great power in tricking the eyes. But who's to say hallucinations aren't real even if so?

Have you ever had a lucid dream though? This dream was so lucid, it made the lucid dreams I have seem dull. I doubt your zombie dreams were THAT realistic, though I could be wrong.

And remember I said I still have my doubts. I wouldn't be fully convinced unless I saw an alien in the flesh for more than a split second.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:22 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Nope. definitely wasn't a shadow because one second it was there, next it wasn't.

Switch on the light. Do you see a shadow? Yes? Good. Now switch the light off. Did the shadow go away? Yes? Good.

See how that works? One moment, the shadow is there, the next it isn't. Amazing, isn't it?

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would go from "I saw something" :huh: to "We have probably been visited" :alien: without any intervening evidence :nerdy: .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
Nope. definitely wasn't a shadow because one second it was there, next it wasn't.

Switch on the light. Do you see a shadow? Yes? Good. Now switch the light off. Did the shadow go away? Yes? Good.

See how that works? One moment, the shadow is there, the next it isn't. Amazing, isn't it?

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would go from "I saw something" :huh: to "We have probably been visited" :alien: without any intervening evidence :nerdy: .

It wasn't a shadow because it was STANDING right in FRONT OF ME.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Fnord wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

It wasn't a shadow because it was STANDING right in FRONT OF ME.

Material things don't suddenly "disappear" - hallucinations, illusions, and other "tricks of the mind" do.

:roll:

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Material things don't suddenly "disappear" - hallucinations, illusions, and other "tricks of the mind" do.

:roll:

This is what I don't like about 'self-styled' rationalism - the inability to accept certain possibilities. What if the entities have the ability to turn on and off their visibility to the naked eye? I'm sure WE have that kind of technology already in a primitive form.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2011, 8:54 pm

Fnord wrote:

This is the correct answer. I have always liked the "ancient astronaut" hypotheses for their entertainment value though. My favorite one is the story of the Dogon people and their supposed knowledge of the star Sirius' companion white dwarf which can only be seen with the aid of a telescope. Sadly, like all the rest, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The Fermi Paradox seems like good evidence against the existence of intelligent life elsewhere in our galaxy, unless of course the aliens came to be around the same time as us or there is something that makes interstellar travel even more difficult than we think. I've never found the "Prime Directive" or "zoo" hypotheses, which try to explain away the Fermi Paradox, to be anything but contrived.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
This is the correct answer. I have always liked the "ancient astronaut" hypotheses for their entertainment value though. My favorite one is the story of the Dogon people and their supposed knowledge of the star Sirius' companion white dwarf which can only be seen with the aid of a telescope. Sadly, like all the rest, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The Fermi Paradox seems like good evidence against the existence of intelligent life elsewhere in our own galaxy, unless of course the aliens came to be around the same time as us or there is something that makes interstellar travel even more difficult than we think. I've never found the "Prime Directive" or "zoo" hypotheses, which try to explain away the Fermi Paradox, to be anything but contrived.

Yeah I admit, while I LOVE Ancient Aliens, huge fan of the show, rarely does it truly impress me that much. My grandmother thinks she is a Sirian incarnate in a human body, I used to believe her wholeheartedly, but now I kind of wonder if she isn't just delusional. She has a big ego, she hasn't shared many details of her story with me, the things she says are sometimes inconsistent, i don't know. I want to believe her, I don't think she is lying but I don't really believe she is a contactee anymore.

As for the Fermi Paradox, I think if we're being visited, they're intentionally only leaving enough evidence behind that only a minority of people will believe they are here. The Solar System alone is so vast physically that it's unlikely we will see much evidence of them from telescopes. Richard C. Hoagland, who is a friend of my grandmother, believes the Face on Mars is an artifact but I'm kind of skeptical of that myself. It's possible.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

The Fermi Paradox seems like good evidence against the existence of intelligent life elsewhere in our galaxy, unless of course the aliens came to be around the same time as us or there is something that makes interstellar travel even more difficult than we think. I've never found the "Prime Directive" or "zoo" hypotheses, which try to explain away the Fermi Paradox, to be anything but contrived.

Am familiar with the Fermi Paradox-that if aliens exist then they would already be here.

Dont know the "zoo" hypothesis, but I suspect that I mustve independently reinvented it in the great American science fiction novel that Ive been writing and rewriting in my head.

The human heroes of the story discover that not only have the aliens landed, but that our whole solar system is actually a protected national park in a vast alien interstellar empire.
We dont have to worry about them "invading us" because they already own the place.

These saucer creatures that visit us are park rangers and naturalists and other types of custodians. They are like Jane Goodal, and we are like the Chimps of the Gombe Stream Reserve.

We are an interesting but endangered primitive species that warrants special protection.

Protection from both special interest groups within the society of the aliens themselves ( an alien equivalent of Walmart wants to pave our whole solar system over), and from ourselves and from each other ( theyve secretly nudged human nations away from nuclear armageddon for decades- which is why we are all still here).

Love to compose UFO stories, but actually believing in UFO's is something else.