What's your opinion on extraterrestrial life?

Page 8 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

What do you think of extraterrestrial life?
I think we are alone in the Universe and god made Humans the Pinnacle of Creation 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think we are alone in the Universe because life is extremely improbable and Earth is the only place with it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but it's never visited Earth 46%  46%  [ 29 ]
I think the Universe almost certainly has other life, and it's possible we've been visited 40%  40%  [ 25 ]
I feel certain we have been visited 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 63

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
It took more than 4 billion years for humans to evolve and we are the only intelligent life form on this planet (that we know about). Why should intelligence evolved any easier else where. And even if it did, how would we come to know about it.

How long we took to evolve isn't really that important. What is more important is how long intelligent life will remain. I think intelligent life is very hard to exterminate and the more we learn the harder we will be to exterminate. In that case we are likely to keep going for a very long time. In 4 billion years there could well still be intelligent life that descended from us. Of course it will resemble us about as much as we resemble the first single celled organisms.

The universe is vast in space and time and the probability of us being unique is ludicrously low. However the vastness of the universe also means that the likelihood of meeting any other life is pretty low.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:45 pm

Aliens exist. No doubts about that. The question is, when will they arrive?

That can happen at any time. I am addicted to science shows like Morgan Freeman: Through the Wormhole and always will remember the faster-than-light travel methods they had. The most amazing one to me was warping. Could aliens have that technology? The answer is yes. It is silly to think that aliens would not have ways of bending our so-called laws of physics, because our way of looking at things would be considered "weak" to a powerful alien race. Think about it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

Anarbaculardrop wrote:
Aliens exist. No doubts about that. The question is, when will they arrive?

You do not have an iota of empirical evidence to support that assertion.

ruveyn

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

The universe is big place... Other life in various forms has to be a statistical certainty. We've discovered the existence of other planets, maybe other life forms have discovered Earth, even using its own naming conventions like we do. 

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

17 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I think intelligence is a fluke and a rare happening.

ruveyn

EVIDENCE, please?

It took more than 4 billion years for humans to evolve and we are the only intelligent life form on this planet (that we know about). Why should intelligence evolved any easier else where. And even if it did, how would we come to know about it.

Intelligence. Believed only when seen. The odds are against it. There are many more ways of being unintelligent than intelligent. Go with the odds.

ruveyn

Speculating about odds is just mere speculation unless you can provide an explanation as to why it's unlikely intelligence evolved on other worlds besides ours(and yes, there are plenty of other worlds that have already been discovered). I see no reason why the odds are against intelligent life elsewhere in the Cosmos.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:20 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I think intelligence is a fluke and a rare happening.

ruveyn

EVIDENCE, please?

Intelligence. Believed only when seen. The odds are against it. There are many more ways of being unintelligent than intelligent. Go with the odds.

ruveyn

Speculating about odds is just mere speculation unless you can provide an explanation as to why it's unlikely intelligence evolved on other worlds besides ours(and yes, there are plenty of other worlds that have already been discovered). I see no reason why the odds are against intelligent life elsewhere in the Cosmos.

There is not enough information available to make a statement of absolute certainty either way. What we do know is that it took a long time for a *technological* intelligence to evolve on Earth. I think the odds are good there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, possibly in our own galaxy. In various stages of evolution both natural and technological. Based on the evolutionary history of the Earth, the odds are also good we will encounter alien planets that have life but do not have any sapient species. Think about the length of our natural history compared to the time our species has existed; what chance do we have of finding another garden planet going through this brief period of "sapient habitability"? I actually hope we do not, because that would raise many ethical questions, especially if they were less advanced then us.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

So what about those pyramids on Mars?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
So what about those pyramids on Mars?

:lmao:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

Im not saying their is and im not saying their isnt exterrestrial life but if their is they are not very good at finding our planet.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Im not saying their is and im not saying their isnt exterrestrial life but if their is they are not very good at finding our planet.

Well, NASA hasnt yet identified all of the large asteroids that threaten Earth. Just last month a smaller 60 meter asteroid popped up that will pass underneath the orbit of some of our satellites next year. The point being that there could be small probes sitting out in the solar system watching us right now. We have a very crude detection network.

The Fermi Paradox deals with why we havent met or heard from any aliens. One possibility is that they prefer it that way. But there isnt much you can say about it without evidence.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

Even more likely is that alien life simply isn't as advanced or equally advanced to us somewhere thousands of light years away.

Hell, could well be just some bacteria hidin' on an asteroid for all we know.

You will reap what you've sown.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:47 am

i agree with Steven Hawking on the matter, its mathematically impossible for aliens NOT to exist but its highly unlikely we have been visited, Steven Hawking said that it would be like when Columbus came to the Americas and it didnt work out too well for the Natives