What's your opinion on extraterrestrial life?

Page 7 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What do you think of extraterrestrial life?
I think we are alone in the Universe and god made Humans the Pinnacle of Creation 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think we are alone in the Universe because life is extremely improbable and Earth is the only place with it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but it's never visited Earth 46%  46%  [ 29 ]
I think the Universe almost certainly has other life, and it's possible we've been visited 40%  40%  [ 25 ]
I feel certain we have been visited 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 63

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 1:31 am

Fnord wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:
... we can only speculate.

Which is why the literary genre is called speculative fiction, especially when the author's ideas about extraterrestrial life are involved.

I don't know how to prove my own existence either, and yet, I believe I exist.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Is there any currently-available technology that would allow humans to colonize Mars (assuming that money, politics, and religion were no object)?

Maybe if someone were to strap a booster to the ISS, and Escape From Terra, perhaps ...

I found the documentary "The Mars Underground" quite interesting in this context: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437325/

It's probably also on youTube. According to aerospace engineer and founder of the Mars Society Robert Zubrin, who helped NASA develop a cheaper version of the SEI Mars mission design, we could have started to terraform Mars 20 years ago. Here is an interview with Zubrin, in which he outlines his terraforming and colonization ideas:
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-terraform-04h.html

Quote:
If one considers the problem of terraforming Mars from the point of view of current technology, the scenario looks like this:

1. A century to settle Mars and create a substantial local industrial capability and population.

2. A half century producing fluorocarbon gases (like CF4) to warm the planet by ~10 C.

3. A half century for CO2 to outgas from the soil under the impetus of the fluorocarbon gases, thickening the atmosphere to 0.2 to 0.3 bar, and raising the planetary temperature a further 40 C. This will cause water to melt out of the permafrost, and rivers to flow and rain to fall. Radiation doses on the surface will also be greatly reduced.

Under these conditions, with active human help, first photosynthetic microbes and then ever more complex plants could be spread over the planet, as they would be able to grow in the open. Humans on Mars in this stage would no longer need pressure suits, just oxygen masks, and very large domed cities could be built, as the domes would no longer need to contain pressure greater than the outside environment.

4. Over a period of about a thousand years, human-disseminated and harvested plants would be able to put ~150 mbar (millibars) of oxygen in the Martian atmosphere. Once this occurs, humans and other animals will be able to live on Mars in the open, and the world will become fully alive.

Edited to add:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfMtRn5Ylfc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx02eHaqYp4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHzmfMdP-0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Qw_5uZDvw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczRGAIUIAc[/youtube]

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

Robert Zubrin has always been an extreme Mars optimist.

And lately I think he's running out of patience with not going to Mars and he's getting a little emotional. I don't find that he makes much sense or is fair to NASA.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

I think Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson makes some interesting arguments in favor of further space exploration; by helping advance technology overall, and it could help the economy too (I saw him on Bill Maher and Daily Show last week). I love his passion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhc25v0DpJc

I still have to watch all of the videos CrazyCatLord posted. I've watched the first one so far.

If we find evidence of life on one other planet, I think that could change everything.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

09 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

I can't help but wonder where This thing came from.....And what it actually was.

16 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

BUMP

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
I can't help but wonder where This thing came from.....And what it actually was.

That was me, sorry

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:44 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Fnord wrote:
  • I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but there is no valid material evidence to support the claim that it's ever visited Earth.

This

Yeah, I think that's what I believe, too.

I voted for "I think the Universe almost certainly has other life, and it's possible we've been visited".

Well, basically... It's almost certain that there was life on Venus at one point. And I don't know whether this was the case, but I guess "life" is, generally speaking, referring to... everything. Life didn't evolve out of thin air. ^^

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

16 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
NineTailedFox wrote:
Read this. It'll blow your mind. 8)

Intelligence will not be explained by or in terms of quarks. Itty bitty particles are not even conscious let alone intelligent.

ruveyn

I daresay that it ultimately will be explained by or in terms of quantum physics!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
  • I think it is possible the Universe has other life, but there is no valid material evidence to support the claim that it's ever visited Earth.

Agreed.
I think the universe is too vast for us to be alone, I image though that other life is so different to ours it'll almost be unrecognisable.

16 Mar 2012, 11:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I think intelligence is a fluke and a rare happening.

ruveyn

EVIDENCE, please?

Furthermore, hydrocarbons can form in other solutes besides water. And furthermore, while most life in the Universe is undoubtedly carbon based, there IS another element, which given the right circumstance(a proto-solar disk rich in Nitrogen gas is bombarded with protons from a nearby supernova resulting in the transmutation of Nitrogen into Boron-the other element which could serve as a basis for life). Some of the basic molecules found in life on Earth have been found in interstellar gas clouds. There is plenty of evidence that life in this Universe is not uncommon and I see no reason why intelligent life is unlikely to evolve on other worlds as it did here on ours.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm

^It took a long time for a technological life form to evolve on Earth. I think most planets are capable of developing life, but the window during which that life may exist is relatively brief in most cases. The window for human-like intelligence even smaller

17 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

Vigilans wrote:
^It took a long time for a technological life form to evolve on Earth. I think most planets are capable of developing life, but the window during which that life may exist is relatively brief in most cases. The window for human-like intelligence even smaller

In MOST cases? What facts led you to that conclusion?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 12:03 am

AspieRogue wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

In MOST cases? What facts led you to that conclusion?

What conclusion?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:29 am

AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I think intelligence is a fluke and a rare happening.

ruveyn

EVIDENCE, please?

It took more than 4 billion years for humans to evolve and we are the only intelligent life form on this planet (that we know about). Why should intelligence evolved any easier else where. And even if it did, how would we come to know about it.

Intelligence. Believed only when seen. The odds are against it. There are many more ways of being unintelligent than intelligent. Go with the odds.

ruveyn

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:24 am

ruveyn wrote:
It took more than 4 billion years for humans to evolve and we are the only intelligent life form on this planet (that we know about).

My cats take great offense to that comment.