Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:54 am

Ragtime wrote:
I don't think anyone knows how dimensions work for sure, it's all theory. Higher dimensions can only be theorized; we can't observe them.

Stories about Columbus gave a good demonstration how dimensions work, as Columbus didn't sail off the edge of the Earth.

I know we can't see water boil in a dark room, but it's a moderately safe bet that the water will boil around a 100 degrees C at standard air pressure even in a dark room.

Maybe basic Dimensional Analysis will help: "Most physical quantities can be expressed in terms of combinations of five basic dimensions. These are mass (M), length (L), time (T), electrical current (I), and temperature, represented by the Greek letter theta (q). " From: http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/dimanaly/

Per "If A Fourth Spatial Dimension Exists", confusion over the coordinate system must be avoided too, not just the number of independent vectors required to determine a unique "point". A simple example is the surface of a sphere requires two distinct coordinates to determine a point on the sphere, but three vectors are involved, and in a convenient coordinate system, one of the three vectors can be held constant and ignored, since the restriction is placed of the example of remaining on the surface of the sphere. Mapping the surface of the sphere to the "flat Euclidean plane" for a conventional map works good for a small area, but for larger areas, the distortions become great, as with a Mercator Projection Map or a Great Circle Map of the Earth.

A coordinate system does not require orthogonal vectors (orthogonal vectors tend to be the most convenient to use though), as only the minimal number of independent vectors are required. In the sphere example, on leaving the surface of the sphere, the vector conveniently held constant previously, must then be considered, and 3 dimensions are then required to determine a "point", say the Longitude, the Latitude, and the altitude for locating the point. Since the altitude is now regarded as to vary with the Longitude and Latitude, the sphere now has a different degree of curvature for areas around a particular Longitude and Latitude. On a well mapped/known surface, the curvature can be recorded as an attribute with two components of the fixed surface (Gauss Curvature, which has a maximum with orthogonal vectors in the tangent plane, as a simple standardized measurement of a vector product in two dimensions). The particular location on the surface of the Earth still only requires two numbers, but the "manifold" (as distinct from the surface of the perfect sphere) has the changing altitude, requiring a third number, and the concept of variable curvature of an area of the surface of the manifold associated with each distinct point.

Now while being stuck on the two-dimensional surface of the Earth, the easily verified attribute of altitude for each point on the surface gives a third dimension required to "embed" the two-dimensional surface into three-dimensions to account for the measurement/observation of altitude. Though, on a high-altitude flat geographical-plane on the surface of the Earth, the Earth is large enough that a human standing on the surface doesn't "see" the altitude nor the curvature of the Earth, but both the altitude and the curvature can be "observed" by using measurement tools.

At high relative velocities, (and velocity is measured by 4 dimensions (speed is measured by two dimensions)), the finite speed of light must be taken into consideration in making relative measurements, and the possible confusion between "seeing" and "observing" is a more entangled riddle best summarized as "Terrel Rotation":
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m3 ... rell1.html
and the "curvature of axis" effect:
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m3 ... ture1.html

With gravity, the 4 dimensions of space-time is "curved", which results in observable measurements of the curvature, and in which requires 5 dimensions to be embedded in for a full "intuitive" sense of the 4-dimensional manifold of the curved space-time.

One history has the confusion between "seeing" and "observing" recognized in:
http://www.guspepper.net/electro/Segund ... /Funez.pdf

and with other resulting effect examples at:
http://hep.sdu.dk/FY504/FuzzyGerry.pdf

Tadzio

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:07 am

Ragtime wrote:

Not...this...

:?:

:lol: The Russian Doll model of the universe.

The dolls can resemble a nested stack of spaces but they are not dimensions. In a true dimensional representation of a point in a space, the co-ordinates are independent of each other.

ruveyn

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Just tell me how this blasted thing works.

:lol:

It malfunctioned once while a doctor was making a call and during the malfunction he forgot what his name was.

But I like the idea in this tardis where the inside has much more space than is apparent.

Ya, the internal/external size discrepancy was what I was mostly referring to.

My wife and I watched this video: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVb6-s-wEA[/youtube]
And I asked her why, after the one-minute mark, the guy starts listing visually-obvious size discrepancies about his balls.
At one point, he compares them to the size of the moon, so I asked my wife why the lyrics were so inaccurately chosen.
She replied that his pants might be like the TARDIS. :lmao:

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

nat4200 wrote:
Dimensions don't work like that. Time-like dimensions don't govern space-like dimensions, anymore than the x axis of a graph can be said to govern the y axis or vice versa.

How about the space-time continuum? and well, one variable is dependent on the other.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Just tell me how this blasted thing works.

:lol:

It malfunctioned once while a doctor was making a call and during the malfunction he forgot what his name was.

But I like the idea in this tardis where the inside has much more space than is apparent.

Ya, the internal/external size discrepancy was what I was mostly referring to.

:

I don't know how it works but I presume they are trying to demonstrate that the Doctor goes into the tardis and steps into a new spatial dimension.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:37 am

I've seen it played with before, it seems like a cute and edgy concept but what I don't understand is how such an object (4th dimensional) would interact with its surroundings or that the extra fourth dimension would be in a spatial sense. When I see it attempted it seems like an attempt to imply a partially inside-out factor of some type or saying that an object has some visual trickery to it - which when looked at that way would make you wonder whether its truly 4 dimensional or whether the particular visual vantage point is deceptive. The gif on the front page of the seeming cube but not a cube is a good example - where the lines line up to look like a cube but when it rotates you see that its not really a cube in there but rather just something that looks like that from a given vantage point (much like Julian Beever's sidewalk art looks 3D from the proper angle).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

blunnet wrote:
nat4200 wrote:
Dimensions don't work like that. Time-like dimensions don't govern space-like dimensions, anymore than the x axis of a graph can be said to govern the y axis or vice versa.

How about the space-time continuum? and well, one variable is dependent on the other.

Only on a world-line. Not throughout the entire space. The equation for a circle makes the x co-ordinate dependent on the y or the other way around.

ruveyn

Dogfield
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:
I wonder if you'd be able to actually see normally invisible forces like Gravity or Magnetism.

I have wondered that. If you could see the whole EM spectrum would be confusing to say the least. But it would be cool if you could tune your senses into any part of the spectrum at will.

Like Predator?

That would be cool!