New symbol for autism from autistic perspective

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

I like symbols. For one reason, or another, a lot of us seem to have a problem with the puzzle piece, which has come to symbolize autism in the minds of many.

Does anyone have a better symbol in mind, or in use?

I would love to see it!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

The infinity symbol is a popular one with many of our kind

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

plantwhisperer

03 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

The infinity symbol.
I like it!

Helical thinking always comes back to learn more about the subject.
Perceiving globally, and processing singly.
Directionally, thinking outward from part to whole can be infinite.
Thanks woodpecker.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

A shark with a friggin' laser beam for absolutely no reason at all.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw[/youtube]

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

I don't really understand the need for any symbol at all.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

http://phoenix-kat.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3czytt

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

A hand trying to force a square peg into a round hole wouldn't work....

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Paja
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

I'm not sure whether I see the need for a symbol either, but because every "cause" has a ribbon, I do really like MagicMeerkat's ribbon. I once stumbled on a children's book called "All Cats Have Asperger's" (or something like that) that made laugh. It made way too much sense.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

Paja wrote:
I'm not sure whether I see the need for a symbol either, but because every "cause" has a ribbon, I do really like MagicMeerkat's ribbon. I once stumbled on a children's book called "All Cats Have Asperger's" (or something like that) that made laugh. It made way too much sense.

Thats it! A cat!

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

Dinosaur and a cat

Dinosaur with a cat on the dinosaur's head

Last edited by TheygoMew on 03 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

It seems that the puzzle-piece is by far the most well-known symbol for autism. The Asperger's ribbon is also available with puzzle-piece pattern.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

I think these two symbols for it are perfectly fine. In a sense they represent two different groups of people although I don't mind the puzzle piece as much as other people do. I don't agree with autism speaks like everyone else but since the puzzle is practically universal there are good organizations that refer to it too. I'm not going to condemn the puzzle just because of one organization. I do also like the AFF symbol.

I'm going to quote myself from the last thread Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4207803 ... t=#4207803 which ended in fail because people just wanted to complain about autism speaks instead. I'd like that not to happen here just like the OP.

plantwhisperer wrote:
In the vain hope of exhibiting good forum manners, I'm going to bump rather than hijack this thread, and start a related one.

Angel_ryan wrote:
I like the puzzle piece it does a great job of representing many things. Like maybe we might be a puzzle to NTs, but thier world can be a puzzle for us too. To me the puzzle represents the obvious disconnect. It has so many possible different meanings which makes it awesome. Like the ying yang symbol one person might see that as good vs evil, while others might see it as harmony, universal contentment, man and women, or even bipolar disorder. The fact that we can interpret it in different ways makes it great. I find the puzzle piece is an excellent memorable icon. I felt like I was putting a puzzle together during the diagnostic process trying to figure out who I was and how I fit into the world with a disability I didn't know I had till age 20.

The aspies for freedom infinity symbol is probably going to be a more popular fit for people with autism, while the puzzle piece is a good fit for NT friends and family who just don't get it. LOL I think both are fine but don't completely condemn someone for liking both or for just liking the puzzle piece guys.

Image Image

Last edited by Angel_ryan on 03 Dec 2011, 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

How about a grey ribbon cable (like the ones used by IDE hard drives), with one end soldered to a microSD card breakout board?

The microSD card represents gigabytes of knowledge acquired from the obsession-of-the-week

The ribbon cable represents the pinnacle of High Geekdom.

Last edited by dr01dguy on 03 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

A cat with its tail knotted into the infinity symbol? Hahaha ouch....

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Paja wrote:

Thats it! A cat!

LOL cats are pretty awesome and there is a cool book I own at home about how my two cats are like me
It's funny because my one cat won't let anyone else near her because they don't approach her right. If she were human she'd have AS. My other cat is surprisingly friendly for a cat though. I think she'd be an NT LOL.
I don't think a new symbol would necessarily trump the universally established ones, but it could generate a nice rep from decent sized groups of asipes. A rainbow cat might work since it can refer to the universal color of neurodiversity. The downside with a rainbow though is that people also reference it to sexual diversity.