If we use a different part of the brain-Why can't scans...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

Why can't/How can brain scans show the diference to show likely or deffinite sighns of aspergers?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

Some research last year found small but definite differences in the brain scans of NTs and people with autism / aspergers. I think it is still a few years off being used as a diagnostic tool though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Well not even all NT brains are the same, everyones brain is different.....so it would be hard to find specific differences that actually indicate autism. Not to mention most brain processes and such happen at a microscopic level so kinda hard to see all of that I guess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Some research last year found small but definite differences in the brain scans of NTs and people with autism / aspergers. I think it is still a few years off being used as a diagnostic tool though.

Well as long as they don't reintroduce forced lobotomies because of this then its all good I guess.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

The brain is too complex and there is too many variations, we don't have enough information yet.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

They are already using an MRI scanner in a south London hospital but I'm not sure if anyone has actually been diagnosed with it yet.
From the articled below:

Quote:
The team used an MRI scanner to take pictures of the brain’s grey matter. A separate imaging technique was then used to reconstruct these scans into 3D images that could be assessed for structure, shape and thickness – all intricate measurements that reveal Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at its root. By studying the complex and subtle make-up of grey matter in the brain, the scientists can use biological markers, rather than personality traits, to assess whether or not a person has ASD.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/news_details.php?news_id=1426&year=2010
http://www.slam.nhs.uk/media-and-publications/archived-news/slam-experts-win-award-for-mri-autism-scan-breakthrough.aspx

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

There are lots of news articles about the discovery. Here is one of them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10929032

ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Noob wrote:
Why can't/How can brain scans show the diference to show likely or deffinite sighns of aspergers?

Actually, they can. Got $150,000 lying around to pay for the scans? Because your insurance sure as hell won't pay for it.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Well as long as they don't reintroduce forced lobotomies because of this then its all good I guess.

Lobotomies would actually make it worse - one of the big effects of a lobotomy is executive dysfunction, which is also a common problem for AS. When I did a paper for neuropsychology on the inaccuracy of the portrayal of lobotomy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, a lot of the effects of lobotomies sounded like features I already have.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Lobotomies would actually make it worse - one of the big effects of a lobotomy is executive dysfunction, which is also a common problem for AS. When I did a paper for neuropsychology on the inaccuracy of the portrayal of lobotomy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, a lot of the effects of lobotomies sounded like features I already have.

I have just started studying psychology and that sounds like an interesting paper you wrote. Do you have more details please?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 8:52 am

J87 wrote:
They are already using an MRI scanner in a south London hospital but I'm not sure if anyone has actually been diagnosed with it yet.
From the articled below:

That's a key point. I'm sure AS's differences are most observable when they happen. You can't go to a social function with an MRI strapped to your head, so testing for how the brain processes information is problematic...even if they know what to look for.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

I know what a lobotomy is...nothing good usually comes out of such a thing.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

I have had an MRI and several CT scans because of a rare neurological condition, I imagine they are on file somewhere in my medical records. If they ever find out a way of telling for sure from scans maybe I'll be able to get a definitive diagnosis one way or another.