When someone tells you they wish you would die?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

I've been told that a lot when I was in school & I would tell them that I'd come back to haunt them :twisted: I wish they would of been as creative as this because I would of got a good laugh out of it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpAtG744-hE[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

mcg wrote:
I would take it as, "I dislike you a lot."

This. "Oh my god, kid; go die", "Go die in a fire" or "Go die in a hole" arecommon phrases of exasperation and annoyance that my friends and I use when one of us has said or done something incredibly stupid or pointless, or when talking about people who joined a subculture (goth, emo, scene, etc.) just for attention. We all know it's always just a joke, and never take it personally.

kakalulu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2016, 4:35 am

My husband do that. Moreover when i am poorly like now he won't bother and he probably waits till I drop dead....well it doesnt matter what and who say anything.do not let this take u down ever!

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

scmnz wrote:
are they being literal or sarcastic?

That's no easy one. I'm trying my best to give a reasonable answer here.

Most of the time they don't mean what they are saying. They don't want you to die literally. They don't really dislike you that much. They could be upset for something you said or have done. In this case their current emotional state is transitional: they will probably regret what they just said - even if they don't tell you they are sorry afterwards. Saying they are sorry is optional and irrelevant, you can be confident they will be sorry though in an uncertain amount of time.

People don't want you to die then give it loud to you unarmed. Would make little sense. That sentence is a vulgar display of a transitional emotion that will vanish. Would make sense that you think things over seeking for what you could possibly have done wrong and ask why.

The possibility of sarcasm exists, for instance people saying "why don't you just die" when they are meaning something else like "you're too smart", "I love you", "I hate when you do that". This is when things become very difficult to understand.

What do I do? I always ask why they said that. This makes all clear and adds to my experience for when I hear that again.