Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:53 am

Wolfheart wrote:
I'm exactly the same, It could be that people on the spectrum are more suited to learning theoretically rather than learning visually or from demonstrations. Many concepts are also explained in a metaphorical or allegorically way which I think can be difficult for us to process and lead us to being confused.

It could also be that people on different parts of the spectrum learn differently. Visual, geometric learners would learn better visually through diagrams or hands-on. Mathematical, musical, pattern thinkers would learn better through a discussion of the underlying principles. Verbal, hyper literate thinkers would learn better through a hypothetical story.

It takes all kinds of Aspies to make wrongplanet go around.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 2:26 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I don't understand how someone not learn from other peoples mistakes. I remember as a child if I saw a kid do something and he got in trouble for it, I then knew that thing isn't allowed and if I do that, I get in trouble. One day I saw a boy in my class throwing chairs as he was crying and yelling at the teachers. He got sent to the office and was there for the rest of the day. I learned that day that if I throw chairs, I would go to the office there and sit and I'd be bored. How can someone not learn this?

Many people believe certain rules that apply to others do NOT apply to them so they make the exact same choices that others make in similar situations and expect a different outcome. I believe Neuro-typicals refer to this method of learning as Learning The Hard Way or metaphorically getting ones "Ass Spanked". LoL.

TheSunAlsoRises

I guess that came from my literal thinking. I assumed everything was the same for others and if it was okay for one person to do something but not okay for me to do it, I'd get confused. I always used my eyes to figure stuff out by watching what people do and learning what was allowed and what wasn't. But if something was allowed off and on, it was confusing so it made harder for me to learn. When I know the rules and when I see a kid break them and not get in trouble, I get confused and think it was allowed now. Then I get in trouble when I do it and I would think I was being picked on and I had different rules than other kids and it make me mad so I rebelled. I wanted the same rules as everyone else and be treated like everyone else. My mother could not get me to stop rebelling in school because of it.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 3:28 am

Burnbridge wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
I'm exactly the same, It could be that people on the spectrum are more suited to learning theoretically rather than learning visually or from demonstrations. Many concepts are also explained in a metaphorical or allegorically way which I think can be difficult for us to process and lead us to being confused.

It could also be that people on different parts of the spectrum learn differently. Visual, geometric learners would learn better visually through diagrams or hands-on. Mathematical, musical, pattern thinkers would learn better through a discussion of the underlying principles. Verbal, hyper literate thinkers would learn better through a hypothetical story.

It takes all kinds of Aspies to make wrongplanet go around.

I guess my original post, I was refering to the social rules. Aspies might not quite learn something socially until they've messed up. But in pertaining to this post. I agree that all aspies learn differently. Im a visual and hands on learner. I cant learn from reading books about theory. If you asked me to build something, the manuel is mostly useless. I learn better by looking at the structure and figuring out what goes where. Thats kinda how I learn how to work electronics. I learn from fiddling withe device not from the manuel. The manual is boring and doesnt serve me much use. My dad whos also aspie is a huge manuel person.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Dec 2011, 3:43 am

bumble wrote:
Some things I learn, other things I can't seem to get to sink in or stick lol.

Ie not rambling on and letting other people speak. As soon as I relax I forget myself and off I go...

What did you think of the team up films - I recall one with Daredevil (in which he had infrared vision rather than sonar but was still blind), one with Thor, and one with Doctor Strange? I think they got a bit cheesy but at the time it was fun to see Marvel characters on TV. It wasn't like these days where it seems like every major Marvel character is appearing in movies.

I actually watched most of the series when it first aired. One thing that bothered me was it seemed like there'd be a love interest in every episode, but she'd often get killed in some way so the Hulk could go on a rampage. Am I remembering this correctly? I mean not killed in every episode, but it happened fairly often.

I never saw the Trial of the Incredible Hulk, though. I had no idea that they'd killed the character.

The series seemed pretty low-key compared to the comics. Seeing Ang Lee's film was kind of a revelation in terms of scale although I still think the plot was problematic. I own the movie and rewatch it occasionally despite that.

.... so, anyway. :D

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Dec 2011, 3:45 am

I learn things by doing. I don't learn much from reading and less from listening to a lecture, but if you give me something and a clear set of instructions on how to do it, I can learn it quickly. Usually. Unless I can't, which has happened with some things.

With some things (usually technological things) I have a much closer to intuitive grasp - as in I could work out how to program VCRs and such years before they were particularly user-friendly. These days it matters less as most things are much easier to use than they were before.