Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

I am visually impaired and in addition to no depth perception whatsoever, this means my vision is bad enough to ban me from the roads. :shrug: Good thing I can take to bus to work and walk home. In the case of the OP, it is nice to hear that you found a job you like. Thumbs up to you!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 12:57 am

I don't know about people from other countries, most Americans think they drive well. Do you think and aspie would say they drive bad?

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 3:32 am

From Denmark :)

I drive fairly well, what drives me nuts though is parking lots; always dumb people who don't look before the waddle across the lot with their idiotic kids in hand, small roads and one-way labyrinths are also a stress factor for me...

Country roads and freeways I find quite relaxing, just zone out and follow the traffic really :)

In my time driving (5 years now), i've had one speeding ticket (don't zone out and follow the traffic in a town :P ) and one "accident" (rear-ended another car, although the only fallout was a wee bend on my front license plate)

freebird1987
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2011, 9:53 pm

not very well. I was told by my driving instructor that it takes a person 5 years to be a good driver. I've driven for 4 3/4 and already been in a few accidents.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm

yes.

on the other hand, statistics say that a majority of drivers consider themselves to be above-average drivers.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

freebird1987 wrote:
not very well. I was told by my driving instructor that it takes a person 5 years to be a good driver. I've driven for 4 3/4 and already been in a few accidents.

...and when you get really good; calm down and don't speed so much, less stress, no kids, lower insurance rates and all that, you start to get old and your reflexes, eyesight, energy, faculties get tired. You can't win.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 12:11 am

blauSamstag wrote:
yes.

on the other hand, statistics say that a majority of drivers consider themselves to be above-average drivers.

Generally, people think they're better than they truly are...

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 2:15 am

So, as far as meeting deadlines, how is it? I did terrible delivering food in an inner city, but I'm assuming this is mostly highway driving. Like, what's sorta your margin of error with this job? Is it like "YOU'RE ALREADY LATE!" like food delivery, or is it like, you know, reasonable?

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 6:27 am

I'm a good driver: line up to the high side of the curve, tap of the brake 5 feet before the entrance of the curve, clip the apex, and accelerate out of the turn. I took race car driving lessons.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 9:40 pm

I'm 18 and I still don't have my license. I live in a small town in Wisconsin, where the closest big box store is 15 miles away. Last year, I had my learners' permit, but after 2 driving lessons, I gave up on driving. I don't have the patience to drive.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:00 am

1000Knives wrote:
So, as far as meeting deadlines, how is it? I did terrible delivering food in an inner city, but I'm assuming this is mostly highway driving. Like, what's sorta your margin of error with this job? Is it like "YOU'RE ALREADY LATE!" like food delivery, or is it like, you know, reasonable?

The deadlines aren't as bad as I thought they would be.

One example of a tough run is picking up in Norfolk, VA Sunday Morning and delivering to Grand Rapids, MI Monday morning. Just over 800. Rough figure of 12 to 13 hours driving. But the available time is about 20 hours right? Yeah it's a lot of driving but I had time to pace myself, catch some breaks, even grab some sleep. I did not feel stressed out.

Also as an independent contractor I had the right to refuse the load but I took it because it paid well.

Another example is Buffalo, NY to Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Now I came out of Toronto after delivery and got this on Friday for Monday morning delivery. Lots of driving sure but paced myself through the weekend.

These 2 examples are some of the harder distance runs I don't usually get them that long. Most of the time deadlines have reasonable leeway but sometimes it does seem tight on time so I just tell dispatch. Like one time I made a mistake taking a switchback road trying to deliver in Virginia. I will say this was easier then Truck Driving. My last trucking job had me on a tight schedule all the time until I was abusing Monster Energy Drinks.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2011, 7:34 am

Nope. I can't drive well at all. I'm totally rubbish. So, even though I have a driver's licence, it is better for all concerned if I take public transportation.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

I don't know how to drive. I never had anyone to teach me except I practiced in my friend's car a few times in my teens. Between having slow reflexes, not being able to do a lot of things at once, and having so much of my vision blocked off by the car around me my driving would just lead to many accidents.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 3:21 am

I'm a pretty safe driver. I only had about 50 hours experience before I got my licence, but I had a really good driving instructor, one of the best in the state :). He got me able to drive, even with distractions like the radio or a conversation. I did a refresher course with him recently and he said that despite being a bit too cautious at first (I spent over a year not driving) I'm a safe driver. I also quite enjoy driving, it's quite liberating being able to go where you want and get there faster than walking or waiting for public transport. I wouldn't mind a driving job if I can fit it around university, unless if it needed a car which I don't have and I don't think my parents will let me take theirs for extended periods of time :(.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:21 am

Well Im a farly good driver havent had a wreck in years. I have noticed that my peception is more speed bace than distance. In other words im more likely to run you down in a parking lot at 5 kph than if you were playing freeze tag on the express way at 80kph. :lol:

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

I generally like to drive, especially highway driving. I get nervous in city driving when people are more likely to be aggressive and unpredictable in heavy traffic. My space bubble is larger than most NT drivers and therefore tend to get upset easily if someone gets too close to me while turning, tailgating, whatever. I also hate it when people break traffic rules such as red light running, excessive speeding, cutting you off, etc. Keeping my emotions in check when these types of things happen is my major challenge.