Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 10:37 am

I've found just now that when I phone my mum each morning, I talk about myself. I don't talk about anything else but myself. Is this related to autism and does anybody else on WP do this?

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

How else would you talk on the phone? I phone my mum every day too, and I talk to her about myself, and then I ask how she is, and she talks about herself. :?

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Autism etymology - from etymology.com:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autism - 1912, from Ger. Autismus, coined 1912 by Swiss psychiatrist Paul Bleuler (1857-1939) from Gk. autos- "self" (comb. form) + -ismos suffix of action or of state. The notion is of "morbid self-absorption."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
URL for the source of above quoted information - http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=autism

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

I talk about myself endlessly but I don't know why I do it. I don't mean it in an arrogant selfish way. It is something that has always puzzled me as I also have a terrible time following other peoples conversation when they are talking unless they are talking about something that interests me or that I can personally relate to in some way. So even then it comes back to myself.

I feel very selfish sometimes but I don't mean to be.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've found just now that when I phone my mum each morning, I talk about myself. I don't talk about anything else but myself. Is this related to autism and does anybody else on WP do this?

It's definitely common for people on the spectrum to do, we tend to talk self obsessively or about what is relevant to us rather than realizing that a conversation is supposed to go both ways.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

It is the opposite for me, I have this weird way of getting stuck with people on the phone who only talk about themselves and don't give me a chance to talk.