Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

I cannot stand technophobia! I think it is because Aspies/Auties were very instrumental in creating technology.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

TBH: I can't relate to either statement.

I love technology, and don't believe Autistics have been as instrumental in developing it as many of us seem to believe.

Not only that, I don't even understand why the two would be related. If I hate anything, it has nothing to do with who I think is responsible for it. At least not in terms of whether they might be Autistic.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

CrazyOldBat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

I can stand technophobia, I just think it's pretty pathetic. I am a Geek Old Lady ("Bending Computers To My Will Since 1971"). How much of that's an Aspie thing, I don't know. All I know is, I grew up on science fiction and when, at age 11, I saw my first computer, with all its wonderful blinky-lights, on 20th Century With Walter Cronkite, I had to have one! Alas, where have all the blinky-lights gone...

What I can't stand are people who are sure that if they touch a computer, they will break it, or are convinced that technology is too hard for them to learn so try to make you do everything _for_ them because it's just easier. Drives me nuts. Okay, nuttier. That's just laziness.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

Xaisede wrote:
I cannot stand technophobia! I think it is because Aspies/Auties were very instrumental in creating technology.

I don't understand computers or technology at all and I am an aspie.
It is a stereotype that all aspies are computer/technology geeks.
I wish that humans did not depend so much on technology. What happens if all the computers crash?
It would be a disaster. Humans program computers and humans are known to make mistakes.

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2011, 10:40 am

My wife is a IT person, and she's managed to teach her grandmother of 89 how to use a computer.

I think it boils down to the fact that some people refuse to learn new things. This can apply to many things - computer/technology use being one of them. I think there's probably something everyone refuses to learn, so I don't begrudge anyone that avoids new tech. I don't completely understand it, but I just think "You don't know what you're missing!" and move on.

Officially diagnosed autistic. September 2023, suspected since 2010.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

I'm talking about people who want to get rid of technology for everyone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

No I quite enjoy technophobia, the band that is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjWyaCKnhw[/youtube]

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

I'm all for technology. I love it.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

I don't like technophobia either. I love technology. I don't think we would be better off without it, no way. I don't know much about tech history so I don't know how big a part autistics played in everything.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Singularity.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 8:58 pm

I don't think we should get rid of technology but we should not depend on it for everything.
I understand how to do basic things on computers but some things really confuse me.
When you said technophobia I thought you meant the fear of depending on technology.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

12 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

Technophobia... wait, is that a fear of technology, or a fear of techno music? I like techno music! I like technology!

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:34 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:03 am

I also love technology as well and I don't understand how people can hate it so much. Technology is cool and it's the wave of the future. I guess that some people just aren't ready for the future.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also love technology as well and I don't understand how people can hate it so much. Technology is cool and it's the wave of the future. I guess that some people just aren't ready for the future.

True