Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

For me its very relaxing and brings me down in a state of peace and self satisfaction.

bushratcandy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2016, 9:49 am

Because it's fun and challenging. Seems like there is always something new to learn. I just learned about imaginary numbers the other day :lol: now I can do (-10)^1/2 *Yays*. However still frustrated that division by zero is undefined :(

faust
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2016, 9:30 am

I love Geometry because my visual perception is more developed...

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2016, 4:48 am

I find language interesting, to me math is a language, so it's enjoyable to use.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

I liked math because of the consistency.
I actually was headed in the direction of a math teacher.
In college another subject led to a career left turn.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2016, 1:13 pm

y0?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 1:30 pm

Must I have a reason? Is it a crime or a sin on my part to like math without properly justifying my interest before some competent authority?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 7:28 pm

It's the most general form of truth. I could spend the time trying to memorize all the arbitrary arrangements in the universe, or I could learn truth that is independent of the arbitrary.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

I am no math wiz but what I like about the level of math that I can wrap my head around is that it rules out ambiguity, and as a drummer it defines a space of countless rhythmic and sonic opportunities. (Who knows if Pythagorus hadn't heard that guy banging on the anvil, we might not have had all this glorious pop music we hear at the gas stations and in elevators every minute of every day)

I envy those of you that can grasp the complexities of math. I had all I could do to get past f (x) and statistics class.

TristahK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2016, 11:25 am

Self-learning mathematics is my favorite hobbie. I havent finished High School but I wanna be a mathematician on the future. Not only that, its my only source of self-esteem. Everytime I learn a new theorem and understand it, I become happier. It makes my free time feel rewarding. If I didn't like math, I would probabily be a worthless and depressed individual. At least my love and talent for it makes me feel like I can do something with my life, because outside of the perfect world of logic and reason, I'm just an Aspie with no hope for anything.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2016, 3:15 pm

I found statistics easier than calculus, but in any case, there's nothing odd or new about finding beauty in mathematics.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 5:28 am

Quiet Water wrote:
I found statistics easier than calculus, but in any case, there's nothing odd or new about finding beauty in mathematics.

Statistics is false math, of course it's easier. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TristahK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2016, 11:20 am

Ganondox wrote:
Quiet Water wrote:

Statistics is false math, of course it's easier. :P

Mathematics is made out of proofs, theorems and axioms. When something is demonstrated by a mathematical statement, it is indisputably true. The problem with statistics and probability however, is that they cannot demonstrate anything.
Thats why they are part of Applied Mathematics and not Pure Mathematics.

dendrite
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2016, 3:32 am

It's neat.

It the one constant in the universe. Space aliens on a planet on the other side of the universe are going the same math we are (well, sort of. It depends on how much they've discovered). With math, you can learn anything and build anything and stuff.

I dunno. It's just amazing.

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2016, 7:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's a language that I share with scientists and other engineers.

To me mathematics is beyond language. What is considered mathematics is just the symbolic representations of the underlying geometric concepts. Don't get me wrong the notation is a beautiful thing in itself, and we would not be able to share those concepts without that description.

But I have a passion for the underlying ideas driving math.
What is "three", or "3" or "tres". You could just draw a triangle or 3 dots.
But the raw number, the actual VALUE in there? The value in the memory address that the pointer "three" points to.

Much of math is deep geometry. A quasi-dimensional universe that conforms to the shape of the imagination.
There are still yet concepts of math we have no symbolic representations for. One struggles to describe higher dimensional geometry and complex number planes.

But our understanding of that strange universe is expanding exponentially as our calculation machines get more powerful. And now rather than just "describe" math with symbols & expressions (letters & words), we can create images of those higher dimensional structures and complex value relations.

In the 'fractal' space, things become more aesthetic than scientific.

And what are we? What is "consciousness"? Some suggest it is mathematical patterns in the data and can be found in all complex systems. Difficult to quantify, it represents the infinite horizon of mathematics. For mathematics is the precision mapping of the realm of mind.

It can be somewhat spiritual for me :D

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 6:32 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:
I enjoy the pictures , complexity , relationships , patterns , precision , fantasy and unfalsifiability of mathematics.

All that plus the mental exercise of mastering these things. Mathematics is hard and to master it one must work and concentrate and not give up. So mastery can not only be a source of pleasure but a source of pride.