Eco-Nazi teacher saves Earth by torturing kids

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:26 pm

I don't lack the "cognitive capacity" - I just can't be arsed.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Environmentalists do not say that houses should not be heated but rather the heat should come from a carbon free source.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Environmentalists do not say that houses should not be heated but rather the heat should come from a carbon free source.

Darn. That eliminates my solution: burn environmentalists to heat our houses.

ruveyn

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

ruveyn

I don't like that solution, but imagine how much energy we can save by not focusing tv cameras on environmentalist nut jobs.

I like conservationists though, but no one ever listens to them because their solutions make sense, save money, and create jobs.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:02 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

What environmentalists say depends on which ones you ask. Some believe that, for the sake of the planet, humans shouldn't exist -- and even that the Earth will eventually destroy humans in self-defense if they don't mend their ways. They take that extreme view of "purify/heal the Earth". Others just want everyone to let the government automatically control the temperature in your home. It's a whole ideological range of opinions, but the underlying belief is that the Earth is more fundamentally sacred than humans are -- and that, therefore, humans should be compelled to show it respect self-sacrificially. Some even recommend abortion to reduce "our carbon footprint". But virtually all propagate the myth that CO2 -- that which plants take in to survive, and then expel as oxygen -- is a polutant. So, that which humans exhale is a pollutant, on one end of the environmentalism spectrum, and even humans themselves are the pollutant, on the other end.

Environmentalism which goes much beyond "try not to litter", and "try not to waste things/energy when it's very easy to avoid" is essentially a spectrum consisting of all degrees of Earth-worship, an ancient and enduring pagan practice. As I implied, I believe in not littering and not wasting, but when people start getting fascistic in their demands of others in the service of some Naturalist greater good, that's when they've gone too far.

Last edited by Ragtime on 07 Dec 2011, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

One thing people are not taking into account here, even if the school averaged 18 degrees C, different rooms are gonna have different temperatures, due to different locations. IE, closer to windows, sunlight going in, etc. Also, they could just be lying or stretching things a bit, and just measuring the 18c in a "good" room.

The other thing too, different rooms in the school are going to have different insulation levels and windows, so it's entirely possible some rooms dropped to 1c if their windows were old and nasty, which I've seen very often in schools. Replacing a school's windows, even with basic ones would probably a hundreds of thousands of dollar job, so they don't get replaced often. As far as the difference, my friend's house during a power outage here was in the 30s, and my house was high 40s just from newer windows and stuff like that.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:18 pm

1000Knives wrote:
One thing people are not taking into account here, even if the school averaged 18 degrees C, different rooms are gonna have different temperatures, due to different locations. IE, closer to windows, sunlight going in, etc. Also, they could just be lying or stretching things a bit, and just measuring the 18c in a "good" room.

The other thing too, different rooms in the school are going to have different insulation levels and windows, so it's entirely possible some rooms dropped to 1c if their windows were old and nasty, which I've seen very often in schools. Replacing a school's windows, even with basic ones would probably a hundreds of thousands of dollar job, so they don't get replaced often. As far as the difference, my friend's house during a power outage here was in the 30s, and my house was high 40s just from newer windows and stuff like that.

maybe read the second article. there is no mention of the 18'C being an averaged number and the state of the windows was also addressed. the Health and Safety Executive had no issue with the temperature so i sincerely doubt that any of the rooms were particularly cold.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

When I was a kid it happened in my school a lot. Sometimes the pipes would freeze and we would wear our coats. They didn't always send us home.

Maybe he is trying to teach sacrifice to the kids; but he will have a lot to answer for if any of those kids got ill from it, especially in our cotton wool kids culture.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

No, it'll still work. Incinerating environmentalists is a carbon neutral activity. All of the carbon in their bodies was recently removed from the atmosphere.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

No, it'll still work. Incinerating environmentalists is a carbon neutral activity. All of the carbon in their bodies was recently removed from the atmosphere.

I think Dilbert once got on all the junk mailing lists he could, and then heated his house with the mail. :lol:

Converting silly b.s. into a power source is brilliant, as it is inexhaustable.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

Ragtime wrote:
:lol: Oh dear...
If only you lived in the UK you'd know what a worthless rag The Sun is and how referencing it does your credibility no good whatever.
They print any old pap in a desperate attempt at making money. They distort and lie. This "newspaper" is still boycotted in some parts of the country for their vicious lying:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborou ... _newspaper

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
If only you lived in the UK you'd know what a worthless rag The Sun is and how referencing it does your credibility no good whatever.
They print any old pap in a desperate attempt at making money. They distort and lie. This "newspaper" is still boycotted in some parts of the country for their vicious lying:

Well, the same is said about any newspaper, depending on who you talk to. Right now, you're talking to me, but we haven't talked enough for me to feel one way or the other about your credibility, so, logically, I am required to remain unmoved by what you've said -- at least until I receive some easily-verifiable information of some kind on the subject. I don't know anything about The Sun.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 5:10 pm

1000Knives wrote:
You could reduce it more by just not having school, which would be much more beneficial for the society at this point.

Or they could heat the school by burning the underachievers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Well, the same is said about any newspaper, depending on who you talk to. Right now, you're talking to me, but we haven't talked enough for me to feel one way or the other about your credibility, so, logically, I am required to remain unmoved by what you've said -- at least until I receive some easily-verifiable information of some kind on the subject. I don't know anything about The Sun.
That means you have no credible reason to refer to The Sun's story either - yet you do, and you defend it too. I assume you verified it with other independent sources before making that decision?
The Wiki link will only give you a flavour of just how badly The Sun behaves so I assume it didn't meet with your requirements either, which must make believing stories so much easier.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:33 pm

visagrunt wrote:
For those of you who lack the cognitive capacity, 18 degrees celcius is 64.4 farenheit.

Let's look at the applicable health and safety regulations. While there is no established minimum (the regulations simply require that the temperature be reasonable), guidelines suggest that workspaces should be a minimum of 16 degress (or 13 degrees if the work is physical). If the ambient temperature was warm enough for the teachers to work, there seems little basis to conclude that it was not warm enough for children to learn.

There is absolutely no basis on which a healthy child or adult will face cold stress or injury by remaining in a dry environment with an ambient temperature of 18 degrees.

Suggestions of "torture" are wantonly inaccurate, even using your remarkably obtuse definition.
The normal temperature in this city is 16-17 degrees. I consider it warm.

TORTURE!!!11111111111111111111111

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:40 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
the school temperature didn't fall below 18'C. hardly torture, Ragtime.

Heck, I'm in the subtropics and I sit in classrooms that are about that temperature.

Quote:
EDIT: that article even said people were shivering and wearing gloves!! ! at 18'C i'd say those people need to harden up a little if they were really THAT cold when it was only a couple degrees below room temperature.

People seem to get pretty whiny about the tiniest deviation from room temperature... man up, I say. I almost never use the AC in my apartment, not even during the summer months. And again, I'm in a subtropical zone. I'm also quite slow to turn on the heat. I've never used it down here, and even when I'm much further north I just deal with the temperature change rather than turning the heat up. We are mammals, after all. We can survive quite comfortably in a fairly wide range of temperatures.