UFO skeptics - are you still skeptics NOW?!

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

mercury is too far off and the artifact was too large for it to have been a vaporizing space craft,

but from a programming pointof view it could easily be artifacts due to the maths involved, even if they change shape(the light levels would most certainly fluxuate in any local region)

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
shrox wrote:
We've been launching stuff for 50 years now...Russians too.

Indeed; but we generally dispose of space junk by letting it burn in the atmosphere, perhaps with a few nudges to help it along. In the case of geosynchronous satellites we boost them into a higher "graveyard" orbit at the end of their useful life, because sending them spiraling back down to Earth would again cost too much in delta-v. I'm not aware of any instance of us intentionally sending anything towards the Sun as a means of disposal. Doing so is just too costly.

There have been many missions towards the sun as well.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

Oodain wrote:
mercury is too far off and the artifact was too large for it to have been a vaporizing space craft,

but from a programming pointof view it could easily be artifacts due to the maths involved, even if they change shape(the light levels would most certainly fluxuate in any local region)

It could expand very quickly, and the glow could make it appear larger than it really is.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 1:04 am

shrox wrote:
Oodain wrote:

It could expand very quickly, and the glow could make it appear larger than it really is.

yes but we are talking planet sized versus what in reality would be a 2 meter wide canister at most, at interplanetray ranges that is nothing.

again i see little to suggest anything but mathematical artifacts, it behaves almost like infinite exposure on a moving film,

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:05 am

Quote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
...Carl Sagan

Quote:
The principle of Occam's razor states:
"simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones."

I'm gonna have to go with processing artifact from the equipment explanation.

Hard evidence for alien craft being present in out solar system will have to be MUCH, MUCH more than just some fuzzy image called out by a single youtuber jumping to conclusions.

Diagnosed in 2005

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 8:03 am

pete1061 wrote:

Lol, on a side note very unfortunate to hear about their cannon experiment. Hopefully it doesn't get them cancelled.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

dmm1010 wrote:
shrox wrote:
We've been launching stuff for 50 years now...Russians too.

Indeed; but we generally dispose of space junk by letting it burn in the atmosphere, perhaps with a few nudges to help it along. In the case of geosynchronous satellites we boost them into a higher "graveyard" orbit at the end of their useful life, because sending them spiraling back down to Earth would again cost too much in delta-v. I'm not aware of any instance of us intentionally sending anything towards the Sun as a means of disposal. Doing so is just too costly.

Sunward. Not necessary right at the Sun. And elongated unstable orbits over 50 years could easily bring something in that range. Boosters from lunar missions, mostly unmanned slingshot out towards the sun if possible. No one really cared before, but now it becoming a concern.

The plume in the images would be rapidly expanding leftover, unvented fuel, not the actual craft itself. And this is just my opinion, because the video artifact explanation fell apart for me with a minimal examination.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

So let me get this straight: The picture shows an object right next to the planet mercurey, that is roughly the same size as the planet mercurey (though not the same shape)?

Since the planet mercurey is about 3000 miles wide this object would then have to be half-again as wide as the Moon. And its about the same length of the whole United States.

Is that what we are talking about?

A saturn V rocket ejecting fuel couldnt be anywhere near that size.

If you go along the urban folklore about UFO's then "motherships" would not only be believeable- they would be necessary. Those one-in-a -hundred ( or whatever the polling figures show) Americans who claim to be repeatidley abducted would need a huge workforce of aliens to be abducted. Those in turn would need a sizable infrastructure.

Three millions a year.. that means ten thousand of us have to be knocked out beamed aboard alien ships- then implanted with devices to keep track or our mating habits and migration patterns and so forth. Its kinda like the Deadliest Catch- except the crewmen have to put catch back into the sea again.

So you would need mother ships to support the huge workforce of grey aliens to process all of these human abuctees.

But were talking about craft the size of the island of Manhatten crusing around our solar system.

An artificial planet the size of the whole USA or the planet Mercurey, even if had a Clignon cloaking device, could not enter our solar system undetected.

Its gravity would effect other bodies in the solar system too much to go undetected.

I dont think its either an old Nasa clunker, nor alien made made artificial planet. I think a bird dumped on the telescope lense.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I think a bird dumped on the telescope lense.

I think that's pretty much the long and short of it; that bird happened to be one of their film technicians.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 3:56 am

shrox wrote:
fraac wrote:
The guy explains it's an artefact of the video enhancement.

I looked at that, but the object and Mercury are not moving at the same speed, so the example shown would show artifacts of progressively longer lengths, rather than nearly identical lengths.

Still not a UFO though.

If the observers do not know exactly what this Thing is, then by definition it is Unidentified.

To conclude that it is a artificial thing made by some intelligent agent is a totally unjustified leap from what is seen. The first thing one should do is assume that whatever it is, it is natural and investigate it on that basis. If that leads to dead ends then one can start making assumptions that the whatever it is, is artificial.

Using Ockham's razor is the sensible way to go.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 8:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
shrox wrote:
fraac wrote:

I looked at that, but the object and Mercury are not moving at the same speed, so the example shown would show artifacts of progressively longer lengths, rather than nearly identical lengths.

Still not a UFO though.

If the observers do not know exactly what this Thing is, then by definition it is Unidentified.

No, its identified.

Quote:
As you might suspect, there is a non-UFO explanation of the apparent flare-up near Mercury. According to Russ Howard, head scientist of the NRL group, and Nathan Rich, lead ground systems engineer, it is simply an artifact left over from the way raw HI-1 telescope data gets processed. Rather than a UFO mothership parked near Mercury, the bright spot is "where the planet was on the previous day," Rich told Life's Little Mysteries. [A History of Recent UFO 'Sightings']

To make the relatively faint glow of a coronal mass ejection stand out against the bright glare of space — caused by interplanetary dust and the stellar/galactic background — the NRL scientists must remove as much background light as possible. They explained that they determine what light is background light, and thus can be subtracted out, by calculating the average amount of light that entered each camera pixel on the day of the CME event and on the previous day. Light appearing in the pixels on both days is considered to be background light and is removed from the footage of the CME. The remaining light is then enhanced.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
shrox wrote:
fraac wrote:

Still not a UFO though.

No, its identified.

As what. Artificial or Natural. Which? If Artificial of what origin?

What I read is that there was a big flash induced by charged particle emissions from the Sun.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 10:50 am

ruveyn wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
shrox wrote:
fraac wrote:

Still not a UFO though.

No, its identified.

As what. Artificial or Natural. Which? If Artificial of what origin?

What I read is that there was a big flash induced by charged particle emissions from the Sun.

ruveyn

Essentially just glitchy editing, and I agree it was quite badly written. The bright spot was the position Mercury was in the day before, they were editing something for brightness or their ability to view it propertly - that came out as an video editing artifact simply because they did an awful job of it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Lol, on a side note very unfortunate to hear about their cannon experiment. Hopefully it doesn't get them cancelled.

I'm surprised they went this long without any collateral damage.

Diagnosed in 2005

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 2:06 am

pete1061 wrote:

But Kari forgave them.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

But Kari forgave them.

ruveyn

Awwwwee.......not sure what that's worth but hey its a start I guess. :huh: