Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 2:56 am

How do you motivate yourself to do something you don't like? The major obstacle I face at school is trying to concentrate on the task at hand. Well if it is something I find boring I can't find motivation to study at all. I avoid work that doesn't interest me and this makes me stress myself out as the workload increases. I've tried and failed repeatedly to focus for atleast a few hours. I have no idea how others study information they find boring but I am scared if next semester goes the way this semester did I will have to quit school. I actually pay out-of-state fee for school and I only have 1 more semester left and I don't want to risk dropping out at this stage. Any advise please?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:40 am

Maybe, giving more time to yourself first for difficult studies (the ones that either bore you or you find hard to wrap your head around). Then, once you feel you have more time, concentrate on the details, taking in the subject slowly, one peace after another. Try to bind it to your existing knowledge (associations), your believes, your experiences, ideas. Once you have gone through one lump of study, try to summarize, recap.

Don't feel grudge for being slower at learning than others. It's only you and your success at your studies that count. You want your investment to make profit for you. Knowledge (and degrees) are always good investments in the future. If you persevere, who knows, maybe you'll achieve more than others.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 4:09 am

OJani wrote:
Maybe, giving more time to yourself first for difficult studies (the ones that either bore you or you find hard to wrap your head around). Then, once you feel you have more time, concentrate on the details, taking in the subject slowly, one peace after another. Try to bind it to your existing knowledge (associations), your believes, your experiences, ideas. Once you have gone through one lump of study, try to summarize, recap.

Don't feel grudge for being slower at learning than others. It's only you and your success at your studies that count. You want your investment to make profit for you. Knowledge (and degrees) are always good investments in the future. If you persevere, who knows, maybe you'll achieve more than others.

Thanks Ojani. My problem is anxiety. I think I've just gotta calm down and do my best. but then after a few minutes I wander off and am doing something else. I can't motivate myself to study or I try and escape work. I don't know how I can deal with it. I've tried creating time tables and sticking to them but all my plans go invain. I lack inertia.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 5:23 am

Letting yourself doing something else is acceptable and quite normal, there's nothing wrong with it. If you feel you can't concentrate, it's ok, don't force yourself. The point is, you should find occasions for studying a little. Perhaps, if you could find someone to introduce you to difficult subjects might help (if you can picture better what a subject is about by discussion), or if you could just look up related information on the internet or in the library, and immerse yourself in it (a roundabout way of studying).

If you feel you don't have enough energy currently, go with the "auto-pilot mode", that is, do what minimally required form you, do your studies accordingly, and later, when you feel better and stronger, you'll know you did what was expectable from you then, no less.

Sorry if I'm not much of a help, finding motivation can be tricky, I tried to bring up ideas, go try ask yourself what would motivate you yourself, you might be surprised how creative one can be.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

That last freaking semester is the hardest. It's like the last bit of a mountain when you're exhausted and sick of it. Don't give up now. Work on whatever for just a bit, then give yourself a reward. If you have someone who can give you that bit of a kick and reward, so much the better. It's hard, it really is. Ojani has a point too. I worked my butt off because I wanted A's all the time, but a C is passing. You get the degree just the same.

10 yo dd on the spectrum