Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

28 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Mahlon wrote:

The question this discussion begs, from those who do and do not, is, "Would you consider yourself to come from a family with an established history of substance abuse?" Yes or no type question.


yeah, and I've done that....psilocybin mushrooms every three days for any length of time is not the best idea for instance.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

28 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm

munch15a wrote:
There is a very small group who become addicted to it you just don't notice because its cheap legal and if they excise enough has no noticeable down sides for that matter there have been a few pepel who gave up coffee and got hospitalized for head aches that they did not relsisies was server withdrawal.


I recently had a headache caused by lack of caffine, I've been trying to quit smoking so I had gone without a cigarette for a while so I thought that was causing the headache, but smoking a cigarette diden't help, smoking cannabis did not help and then it dawned on me that I hadn't had anything with caffeine all day so I had a Mountain Dew I think and that helped.



Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,194
Location: wrongplanet

29 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
munch15a wrote:
There is a very small group who become addicted to it you just don't notice because its cheap legal and if they excise enough has no noticeable down sides for that matter there have been a few pepel who gave up coffee and got hospitalized for head aches that they did not relsisies was server withdrawal.


I recently had a headache caused by lack of caffine, I've been trying to quit smoking so I had gone without a cigarette for a while so I thought that was causing the headache, but smoking a cigarette diden't help, smoking cannabis did not help and then it dawned on me that I hadn't had anything with caffeine all day so I had a Mountain Dew I think and that helped.


one of the more common reasons for a headache is dehydration


_________________
www.wrongplanet.net


Fern
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,121

29 Mar 2012, 12:21 am

When I was a kid my mom wanted to medicate me every time I seemed in any way out of the ordinary (which needless to say, caused me to take a lot of medication at a young age). More than once I had bad side effects, but when you are a kid it's not your choice. For that reason I associate drugs with pressure from other people to be something that I am not. I do not crave them, but rather hate them with a passion. I have never smoked anything... not even a cigarette. I dislike the taste of beer. Whiskey is pretty good, but I really only consume it because it tastes good in deserts. The feeling of being drunk cannot compare to the happiness I feel when I'm sober.

The one medicine I can sort-of see myself becoming addicted to is benadryl. ... my allergies are terrible sometimes, and there's nothing like breathing through two nostrils at once.


_________________
This is me.


pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,204
Location: Sydney, Australia

29 Mar 2012, 12:31 am

Personally, I think people tend to take drugs as a group and I've never really been bothered by peer pressure.

I drink alcohol and have smoked cigarettes in the past. I've only smoked a little marijuana and then I developed a seizure disorder which makes it very dangerous for me to have drugs and alcohol. Though I still have a little alcohol.

From what I've heard about bad LSD trips it sounds like my type of sensory overload, coupled with synaesthesia (which I also have) and temporal lobe epilepsy (which I also have). I don't need drugs to feel like I am on drugs.

There's no pressure on me to take drugs. When I do feel really depressed I can take medication or I can get into a special interest as a distraction. I'm not normally depressed longer than three days.
I escape the world through science fiction stories.

I have enough problems with my brain (some psychological) to make it worse with drugs.

If I'm addicted to anything it's potato chips.

Fern wrote:
When I was a kid my mom wanted to medicate me every time I seemed in any way out of the ordinary (which needless to say, caused me to take a lot of medication at a young age). More than once I had bad side effects, but when you are a kid it's not your choice. For that reason I associate drugs with pressure from other people to be something that I am not. I do not crave them, but rather hate them with a passion. I have never smoked anything... not even a cigarette. I dislike the taste of beer. Whiskey is pretty good, but I really only consume it because it tastes good in deserts. The feeling of being drunk cannot compare to the happiness I feel when I'm sober.

The one medicine I can sort-of see myself becoming addicted to is benadryl. ... my allergies are terrible sometimes, and there's nothing like breathing through two nostrils at once.

I think the permanent side effects I got from prescription meds have led to my decision to never take any illegal drugs. People say marijuana doesn't affect your health but it does affect your mental health. Hallucinations and meltdowns x 2000 plus extreme paranoia. Not to mention the clusters of seizures in a given time period.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


Last edited by pensieve on 29 Mar 2012, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 493

29 Mar 2012, 12:32 am

I don't take drugs nor did I ever take drugs. I don't like medicine and I don't see how I would like my mind to be altered in some way.
The closest I came to such things was when I was being a hypochondriac.....thus I started to take heavy pain killers (no prescription) for real or imagined pains.
When those pain killers went out, I didn't want to go to the doctor so that he could give me some. He probably wouldn't. So I just told myself that all these feelings of illness were in my head and that I'm healthy. It worked and I didn't want any pain killers again.


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

29 Mar 2012, 12:45 am

Alexender wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
munch15a wrote:
There is a very small group who become addicted to it you just don't notice because its cheap legal and if they excise enough has no noticeable down sides for that matter there have been a few pepel who gave up coffee and got hospitalized for head aches that they did not relsisies was server withdrawal.


I recently had a headache caused by lack of caffine, I've been trying to quit smoking so I had gone without a cigarette for a while so I thought that was causing the headache, but smoking a cigarette diden't help, smoking cannabis did not help and then it dawned on me that I hadn't had anything with caffeine all day so I had a Mountain Dew I think and that helped.


one of the more common reasons for a headache is dehydration


Oh I tried drinking water to....and it still persisted.



nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: BANNED

29 Mar 2012, 3:56 am

Redacted



Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: BANNED

29 Mar 2012, 4:07 am

Redacted



Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,393

29 Mar 2012, 5:41 am

It probably has to do with higher resistance to peer pressure. It could also have to do with lack of social competence (it's hard to get drugs if you are not popular or socially adept)



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

29 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I think that unless they are trying to self-medicate or are really desperate to try to be accepted that aspies are less likely to even try drugs.


What about curiosity?....I mean I self medicate but one reason I even tried any drugs was curiosity, I wanted to know what the effects would feel like because I found the idea of drugs fascinating, and like many other things figured what I learned in school about it was inaccurate so naturally I became curious to see for myself what drugs do.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

29 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

nat4200 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Alexender wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
munch15a wrote:
There is a very small group who become addicted to it you just don't notice because its cheap legal and if they excise enough has no noticeable down sides for that matter there have been a few pepel who gave up coffee and got hospitalized for head aches that they did not relsisies was server withdrawal.


I recently had a headache caused by lack of caffine, I've been trying to quit smoking so I had gone without a cigarette for a while so I thought that was causing the headache, but smoking a cigarette diden't help, smoking cannabis did not help and then it dawned on me that I hadn't had anything with caffeine all day so I had a Mountain Dew I think and that helped.


one of the more common reasons for a headache is dehydration


Oh I tried drinking water to....and it still persisted.


^ And yeah, caffeine addiction/withdrawl is very, very common - contrary to what munch15a suggests, it's not a small group of users suffer withdrawl symptoms if they skip their morning coffee at all (withdrawl not strictly the same as addiction, BTW).

Having a coffee each day is pretty unremarkable though, so people don't have the same pressure to give up caffeinated beverages like they do with cigarettes/nicotine, but it does turn out to be somewhat of a daily commitment if you don't want to suffer withdrawl headaches (I'm sorry Sweetleaf I know that they can be pretty bad).


If only 'a' cup of coffee was enough.......but usually it takes at least three, same with tea or Mountain Dew works...and then of course energy drinks. But yeah quite bad, lol at least more caffeine helps though. Also I know withdrawl aren't the same withdrawl is what can happen if you go without a drug you're dependent on or addicted to. But yeah its terrible, and I am sorry that you know how bad such headaches can be as that indicates you've had them.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,223
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

29 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
It probably has to do with higher resistance to peer pressure. It could also have to do with lack of social competence (it's hard to get drugs if you are not popular or socially adept)


Since most of society looks down on drugs use and/or people who use drugs I have a hard time believing you have to be 'popular' to get drugs, you would have to be more or less popular within the groups of people who use drugs. I mean obviously its easier to obtain drugs if one hangs out with people who do drugs rather than people who don't....I guess it also helps if much of your family uses drugs.



munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 153

29 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

You should of seen one of the teachers at my school at least 6 a day my mum has 5-8 of tea



WarrenWannabe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 7

29 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

I've done quite a bit of experimenting with LSD, and I think it has been life changing in a very positive way. It made me realize and accept a lot of things I've been denying about myself for years. I don't really feel like writing up a long explanation for it now, but if anyone has any questions about experimenting with drugs, send me a PM. I've dabbled in most of the mainstream recreational drugs (excluding hard drugs like meth, heroin, etc.)



TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 869
Location: Thornaby, UK

29 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
It probably has to do with higher resistance to peer pressure. It could also have to do with lack of social competence (it's hard to get drugs if you are not popular or socially adept)


I go like this. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigs, nor do I take prescription drugs unless it is a pain relief kind of thing. It's the only one I take & I not took one for a long time. Mainly for tooth reasons

I don't do illegal drugs.

In the end it's not going to solve my problem, its just going to give me even more problems.

& external peer pressure does not work on me, I will just keep saying no. because of the above line^^^.

They is only one time that illegal drugs is when pain relief drugs don't work. For some people that have that pain problem.

Quote:
& really curiosity, that’s why you get the ones at the end of they age, do you think they did not have the same idea you had Sweetleaf Silly someone telling you who has not been through it, if they have not. It's the end product. Yes some have been lucky & never got a bad batch. Up to you to take the risk though like I always say.


_________________
INTJ, Type5 Observer, Ecologists,
?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?