Lifestyle change has greatly improved my AS symptoms

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

Since I joined this group not so long ago, I have been struggling with the decision of (at age 47) whether or not to keep taking college classes in the hopes of developing a potentially money-making skill. This is something that has caused me great stress since my home-based internet retail game business fell apart several years ago, and I found myself with technical skills too outdated to be useful. I used to be really good at learning new things and prided myself on being an excellent student. However, things have changed, and after failing at learning plans A, B & C, I had lined up a plan D for January.

Well, thanks to all the time spent here on WP, I've realized that I can no longer handle classes, be they online or off. I have also realized (confirmed by two psychologists), that the odds of me making money as a result of getting an updated degree are very slim. And so my partner Paul told me not to worry about money, and just focus on taking care of my AS daughter and staying healthy.

I am happy to report that after only one day of adjusting to the idea, I began feeling better than I have in years. My stress level has gone way, way down,. My AS symptoms are so much better that I only notice them in the back of my mind, not like this oppressive disability hanging over me. I am now successfully completing household projects that had been on indefinite hold because I couldn't deal with them. And I feel really good about myself for each thing I accomplish, so I'm quite happy.

Thanks for all your posts that have helped my come to this acceptance after a very late discovery of AS one year ago.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

Good for you!! Glad you're feeling better now that you've decided to stop pushing the college courses. It must be a relief.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

I'm glad for you!

I am seeing a similar positive effect in my life since I started coming here. I am more accepting of myself. It helps knowing that there are other people with the same traits I have, the more I read here, the more I understand myself and the better I feel.