Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

Activities with the dog are extremely helpful, you will find. And having the dog automatically erases the awkward social problems. Everybody focuses on the dog, converses about the dog, and does not even notice the person is not quite "normal."

Plus going to dog parks to give the dog wild dog time, one meets so many dog owners. Typically everybody knows the dogs' names but few know the humanimals' names. It is just a very affirming experience. If you love your dog enough to take him/her to a dog park, you're considered eccentric anyway, so it's good camaraderie.

Orka is also a therapy dog for a large eldercare community. I've been a caregiver for over 30 years and my partner runs healthcare for this posh best practices community in Lake Oswego so Orka has been going there to delight the residents since he was 14 weeks old.

I think if you make a list of the things your child needs help with, then match it to the traits of a certain breed, then enhance training to take advantage of that breed's instincts, you will be amazed at how much fun you can have with a service dog. Every new task, activity, learning experience also gives the handler more confidence and joy and opens more doors literally. And a working dog is a happy dog. Just remember the dog will need lots of time out of service harness to just play, sniff, cavort, explore, run, pee, and be a wild happy dog. Looking after the dog's needs builds rapport and empathy.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

Really enjoyed your story. I'm finishing my BS in psychobiology right now then will get my MS in animal behavior. I've been training dogs and cats since I was a kid just because I love animals. A couple of years ago I decided to do it for a living so I dropped everything and went to college for a change of career. I'm going to start a private practice working with animals that have behavior issues ( although we all know that the problem usually starts with the humans :wink: ) while training a small number of service dogs for people with ASD, MS, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, etc., etc.. Your story reminds me of why I decided to do this. Thanks.

Cascadians wrote:
Activities with the dog are extremely helpful, you will find. And having the dog automatically erases the awkward social problems. Everybody focuses on the dog, converses about the dog, and does not even notice the person is not quite "normal."

Plus going to dog parks to give the dog wild dog time, one meets so many dog owners. Typically everybody knows the dogs' names but few know the humanimals' names. It is just a very affirming experience. If you love your dog enough to take him/her to a dog park, you're considered eccentric anyway, so it's good camaraderie.

Orka is also a therapy dog for a large eldercare community. I've been a caregiver for over 30 years and my partner runs healthcare for this posh best practices community in Lake Oswego so Orka has been going there to delight the residents since he was 14 weeks old.

I think if you make a list of the things your child needs help with, then match it to the traits of a certain breed, then enhance training to take advantage of that breed's instincts, you will be amazed at how much fun you can have with a service dog. Every new task, activity, learning experience also gives the handler more confidence and joy and opens more doors literally. And a working dog is a happy dog. Just remember the dog will need lots of time out of service harness to just play, sniff, cavort, explore, run, pee, and be a wild happy dog. Looking after the dog's needs builds rapport and empathy.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2011, 7:53 pm

This summer I am supposed to be getting my Service Dog puppy, though it is looking increasingly likely that that won't happen. I too have been trying to think of ways to raise money. Here is what I have:

* Sell stuff online. I see you have an Etsy account, and that's fantastic, but some people don't like to buy all that stuff. They want movies, CD's, video games, all that kind of stuff, so I sell items on Amazon.com and Half.com. I just sold an item for $100+.

* This is not something I've tried, but I see people sitting outside stores trying to raise money. One time I saw a girl with Muscular Dystrophy trying to raise money to go to summer camp. If it's something you had permission from the store and felt comfortable doing it might help. Some stores also allow you to place little buckets by the register to raise money.

* Sometimes pet stores will help. One of our local pet stores helped a girl raise money for her Service Dog by holding raffles and contests and stuff. I asked them to help me, but they won't because I am not going through an organization...

That's all I have for now.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2011, 9:23 am

I had no idea beforehand how much a service dog would cost! The initial purchase was expensive just as my own to be self taught puppy but then everything afterward has been extraordinarily expensive. I am very fortunate my partner makes good money and has been willing to pay for everything. I got a small inheritance and spent every penny on dog gear, which has been an excellent investment in my health. When all is said and done, there's nothing like the love and joy a great dog gives all day and night, every day. (photo credit Leah Nash)

[img][800:665]http://web.me.com/leskaemeraldadams/_gallery/102904/Orka-20my-20kayak-20partner/web.jpg[/img]