Does anyone hate electronic music like I do?

Page 4 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ManicMinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2011, 7:37 pm

I hear ya, I cannot stand most electronic music. It has to appeal to me. If it's dark, it has to sound good to me, but stuff like techno that they play at clubs for the mainstream people irritates the living s**t out of me. I can't stand being in a club that's playing that type of music. I don't like it and it makes me wanna cover my ears or get s**tfaced so I can tolerate it LOL Even dark type of electronic music can be annoying. I can tolerate loud music, but if it sounds like a whole bunch of noises just thrown together it makes me dizzy/irritated.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
What always confused me was how dubstep's blown up so big that almost everyone's heard of it, it came from dnb which has been around since the mid 90's, and it seems like so few people outside of London know anything at all about dnb. Its not to say I dislike dubstep, dubstep and dnb seem like part-in-parcel genres though and I never fully got why so many people hated one and love other over a difference of.... 30 bpm?

I guess its the same reason people didn't prefer Miles Davis.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTfBpKzu6XA[/youtube]

I guess most people don't get anything out of ferocious energy of fast syncopated beats. They just want a steady thump thump thump... Personally, I think dnb is much more interesting than dubstep.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:17 am

marshall wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
What always confused me was how dubstep's blown up so big that almost everyone's heard of it, it came from dnb which has been around since the mid 90's, and it seems like so few people outside of London know anything at all about dnb. Its not to say I dislike dubstep, dubstep and dnb seem like part-in-parcel genres though and I never fully got why so many people hated one and love other over a difference of.... 30 bpm?

Lol, Paradox (one of if not the lead don of 'drumfunk' for a long time) had a rant where he blasted jump up in that he was making really complex elaborate beats, spinning them, and his small side room would maybe be at half capacity to three quarters where someone sprung some wizzy, farty, sunshiny synthetic noises on the main stages and people were just about standing on top of each other for it whereas those same people would walk into to his room, effectively scratch their heads, pick their noses, shrug - possibly have some missing time even (then again, admittedly, I wouldn't have stayed too long; maybe 20 minutes, a lot of his stuff does come off as quite dry and academic).

Not to take his side too much even; I learned years ago that that kind of thing is really a sense of entitlement, its the kind of thing that makes a lot of people think that anyone who's into subculture is just an egotistical douche who thinks they're way too cool for everyone else or, alternatively, is simply making it all up as they go because they're trying way too hard to be cool. The flip side, from the standpoint of someone like Paradox, is really showing your soul, chasing the edges of what you can even fantasize, feeling like you've rendered it exactly as you saw it, and realizing that no one cares (and yes - it can come off as quite personal in an aggregate reaction sense). Suppose someone should have told him though that this just isn't how the world works and, if you live, breath, and eat the mysticism of creativity and sort of soul-spelunking; don't be surprised that fewer and fewer people can relate to you, that's just how it goes.

Even forgetting the so-called avante gard (a term that I've really come to associate not with 'ahead of its time' but really a 'it'll never have a time - just make it go out to pasture somewhere and die already'), jungle always had a lot of crowd friendly stuff; I think though one of the bigger problems might have been the conversion of what was very classy jump up in the mid to late 90's into the real whizzy clownstep stuff; there might be a few good tunes like that (some of Majistrate or Dub Zero's stuff comes to mind) it might have done a lot in terms of chasing the clubber kids off; its like it was electronic punk that would have sounded too much like happy hardcore for punks and too much like dnb for candy ravers. Then again, admittedly, I watched this unfold over here - not in London, so I guess a lot of my observations are more localized to the Midwest USA where, perhaps due to its unpopularity we actually had something special to call a scene for as long as the music worked (a scene that I'm sure did come back maybe five years ago - its just past my time now).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 8:28 am

Heh, since the thread has taken on a life of its own past the OP I might as well post this. The original Metalheadz: Platinum Breaks I, which I tend to think of as something like the bible of dnb or the first big release that gave it an organized thrust. This particular tune is Wax Doctors - The Spectrum; lots of very lush, chromed-out atmospheric stuff; really smooth jazz dnb but in a significantly different character to the way LTJ Bukem would handle it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9BRdm4tug[/youtube]

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

I adore Electronic music.

Just not the sort you hear today in Nightclubs, with it's ridiculously simple format.

"KICK, SNARE, KICK, SNARE, KICK, SNARE, KICK SNARE etc."

I prefer the more obscure, as well as complex Electronic musicians from past and present.

Granted, the likes of The Prodigy 'work' in my eyes due to their blending of their Punk roots, but, yeah, like Rock/Metal, it's a very polarized genre.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:38 pm

kxmode wrote:
It enhances mediocre stuff...

Beethoven's 9th Symphony, electrified...

You think that's mediocre?!

Each to their own. 8O

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

I think I'd get aspie points for liking it more, but I can't bring myself to. I hate d n b and dubstep.

I like the odd bit of house and synthpop. See, I'm old-fashioned even when it comes to electronic music. :roll:

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

I like deep house. I think it makes for some great mixes, it's very soundtracky, though I doubt I could tell one track from another.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pcF8B6rCHU&feature=related[/youtube]

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:30 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
marshall wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, Paradox (one of if not the lead don of 'drumfunk' for a long time) had a rant where he blasted jump up in that he was making really complex elaborate beats, spinning them, and his small side room would maybe be at half capacity to three quarters where someone sprung some wizzy, farty, sunshiny synthetic noises on the main stages and people were just about standing on top of each other for it whereas those same people would walk into to his room, effectively scratch their heads, pick their noses, shrug - possibly have some missing time even (then again, admittedly, I wouldn't have stayed too long; maybe 20 minutes, a lot of his stuff does come off as quite dry and academic).

Not to take his side too much even; I learned years ago that that kind of thing is really a sense of entitlement, its the kind of thing that makes a lot of people think that anyone who's into subculture is just an egotistical douche who thinks they're way too cool for everyone else or, alternatively, is simply making it all up as they go because they're trying way too hard to be cool. The flip side, from the standpoint of someone like Paradox, is really showing your soul, chasing the edges of what you can even fantasize, feeling like you've rendered it exactly as you saw it, and realizing that no one cares (and yes - it can come off as quite personal in an aggregate reaction sense). Suppose someone should have told him though that this just isn't how the world works and, if you live, breath, and eat the mysticism of creativity and sort of soul-spelunking; don't be surprised that fewer and fewer people can relate to you, that's just how it goes.

Even forgetting the so-called avante gard (a term that I've really come to associate not with 'ahead of its time' but really a 'it'll never have a time - just make it go out to pasture somewhere and die already'), jungle always had a lot of crowd friendly stuff; I think though one of the bigger problems might have been the conversion of what was very classy jump up in the mid to late 90's into the real whizzy clownstep stuff; there might be a few good tunes like that (some of Majistrate or Dub Zero's stuff comes to mind) it might have done a lot in terms of chasing the clubber kids off; its like it was electronic punk that would have sounded too much like happy hardcore for punks and too much like dnb for candy ravers. Then again, admittedly, I watched this unfold over here - not in London, so I guess a lot of my observations are more localized to the Midwest USA where, perhaps due to its unpopularity we actually had something special to call a scene for as long as the music worked (a scene that I'm sure did come back maybe five years ago - its just past my time now).

Yea. I realize it's all a spectrum and there's stuff way "out there" that I don't get so much either. You can't make people have the same taste as you no matter how saddening it might be. I'd say if someone makes some really crazy, bordering on unlistenable avant garde, soul-spelunking as you call it, it's better to have a small audience that really gets what you're doing than a larger audience of pretentious douches who merely pretend to like what you do in order to impress their friends.

You can be at peace with the fact that a lot of people are going to prefer one thing over another because it's slow enough to dance to. The nice thing about the internet is you can usually find people with similar tastes to impress, even if it would be too much effort to chase after it in real life. I imagine it's harder if your an actual musician though.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm

marshall wrote:
Yea. I realize it's all a spectrum and there's stuff way "out there" that I don't get so much either. You can't make people have the same taste as you no matter how saddening it might be. I'd say if someone makes some really crazy, bordering on unlistenable avant garde, soul-spelunking as you call it, it's better to have a small audience that really gets what you're doing than a larger audience of pretentious douches who merely pretend to like what you do in order to impress their friends.

Yeah. I think a lot of times what it comes down to is that when people start going way outside the box it becomes specific mood music, and it may well be part of the "Please turn this off - it would be *awesome* to listen to if I was f'd up, but I'm just drinking".

marshall wrote:
The nice thing about the internet is you can usually find people with similar tastes to impress, even if it would be too much effort to chase after it in real life. I imagine it's harder if your an actual musician though.
It probably depends more as well on what levels of the scene you've hit. I did start producing about fourteen years ago, have been off and on with it sense (mostly on since 2005 or so). I think when you're an amateur you're more used to people not caring at all or even wanting to know that you make music because, unless they've heard huge things via word of mouth from other people, they're often assuming its crap. However to be a record-label owner and have big dj's who you're signing, selling all kinds of records, and the harder you work the less people seem to listen - I get where that would be maddening because the "Oh, I'm a newb - just haven't paid my dues yet" isn't available as a shelter.

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

No. If it's experimental and sounds good, I'm all over it.

marygrief
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

I love electronic music. It´s my favourite music! :D

How can you not like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hzyiLvzsCU

:)

tapedeckghost5
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

I don't really think you can hate all electronic music. There are so many genres!

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure my brain is a computer so 99% of my music is electronic. I don't like music without it unless it's over 20 yrs. old and I'm bothered by people who think electronic music is defined by techno.

I will admit some sythesizer patches that sound like huge church organs irritate me. Doesn't mean I don't like the song, the depth of the emulation just bothers me for some reason. Makes me feel like my brain is being squished.

Example:

As much as I love this song sometimes I can't listen to it because of the keys and beat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDqeLG5Odk

And I listen to crazy stuff like this on almost a daily basis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2G32Ek ... plpp_video

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

I can't stand it either, it makes me sick and the fact that all pop music lately is all electronic doesn't make it any better.

enjoy some real music below ;-) (no intention to offend people who do enjoy electronical music)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdXWM1btG4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KG16-C-hi4&feature=BFp&list=FLa3BrLEPjJv2AORQEqlqCPw[/youtube]

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 2:50 am

If people are creative or passionate with it, electronic music is absolutely great. But most popular electronic music sounds all the same or is horrendous and has no soul.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xck5ueXKfvQ&feature=related[/youtube]