Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you currently have imaginary friends?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 35 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 75

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

My imaginary friend started off as an 'imaginary therapist' – because I desperately needed one at the time, and couldn't get a real one. So she'd ask me questions like 'how are you feeling today', and helped me to work through various issues. And in time she became more of a friend than a therapist.

But I've always talked to deities and spirits too, and most people think they're imaginary, so I guess it just comes naturally to me. :P

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 6:42 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I wonder if its like a split personality except the personalities are aware of each other... or you are aware of a minor personality. So could you hear them talk to you in your mind?

You've got me thinking about it now. I've not got answers for you because I've never actually analysed it before. It is just something that is normal for me.

When you're a child and you play with dolls, you do the voices yourself. :lol:

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 7:03 pm

Mine I believe created themselves, since I was always in the company with an entity most of my life. What I remember is it began with stray thought, thoughts that weren't mine. This developed with a distinguishable and noticeable voices. This was what I remember in school during times of stress.

More recently, this voice separated into two. My therapist at the time suggests this happened while experiencing a traumatic event. These two did begin to talk to me directly and between them. Mostly positive and complementary friendly dialogue.

4 years ago, one of the voices took the chance to create itself. It asked me how it wanted to look like, at the time, I was creating costumes in the game LittleBigPlanet. Since then, it slowly developed a personality. It developed a rather childlike personality. One with magical, superhero beliefs and distinguishable political ideologies. It presented itself very cat like and borrowed something from my own interests in Furry culture. It often borrowed things I liked, it started to borrow things from games and from my culture. The Avatar is part of this process, it eventually settled on a name after googling what he is and Gwydion is the one that stuck

2 years ago, the other voice took the chance to create itself, this used the creator from LittleBigPlanet 2. This one developed a more mature female personality. One with gothic style, holds beliefs in Catholicism and a high fondness of chocolate. It presented itself very rabbit like and borrowed the style from Sonic Fandoms, as well as borrow thing from my culture. It eventually settled on the name Rhoslyn.

Therapists suggests it is some form of split personality cause by extreme traumatic medical experiences from an early age. They also suggest Gwydion is like the childhood I should of had, while Rhoslyn is the mother figure I didn't have.

Over time, they are becoming more interactive with the world. They like to present themselves in person, talk to me through them, developed a more emotional intellect, developed sexual energies as well as a more advanced personality. Gwydion presents himself as Gay for example.

Over time, they often want to see what they look like through Internet art, modified into their own colours. This was suggested be therapists. The two images below is the nearest to what they look like.

Sometimes I do employ the techniques of genuine Tulpa communities to further their development as how Gwydion and Rhoslyn wants.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2014, 2:21 am

Not imaginary friends, per se. More along the lines of already-established fictional characters.

Matter of fact, this is what fast-tracked my diagnosis. I was in fourth grade, and the game I was playing at the time was a combat flight sim. One fine day, in PE, I was off in my merry little world, flying a combat mission in my attack helicopter. I said something along the lines of "If today America falls, I'm gonna kill some people!", and a girl in my class overheard me and mentioned it to her parents.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but this was right after the Columbine shootings, and her dad was an MD at the local clinic. They flipped out, and contacted the school, and thus began my regular sessions with the school counselor.

I'm 23 now, and I still do it. The fantasy world I vanish into depends on whatever video game I'm playing at the time.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2014, 6:52 am

I've got a few, the most important one is like a big brother character, giving advice and guiding me through difficult stuff.