Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tjolk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2011, 6:21 am

I don't hate phones themselves but i keep my conversations short for information exchange purposes or appointment making.
One exeption is when I used to call my girlfriend on the housephone and the mobile at the same time to have a stereoconversation. Due to a small delay of one line to the other it sounded really cool and she'd put on this really sexy voice.

What I do hate about phones is the way tei're being used, especially in public transportation or otherwise confined spaces. You're listening to one side of a conversation and somehow that attracks more attention (steals my attatntion) than a conversation between people sitting right in front of you. I dislike people on a bycycle having phoneconversations, they don't pay attention to traffic, it's verry annoying.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2011, 10:57 pm

no i like phones its just that my phone isnt really that cool besides the hello kitty phone charm :D

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2011, 5:36 am

I don't like android for some unknown reason. Isn't it tied in with google? Reason enough to dislike it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 4:22 pm

I don't mind phones however i struggle to have a conversation as i don't feel very comfortable which is why i prefer to text or email instead.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm

Hate phones, had one when I was a kid, can't stand the possibility of being contacted by people I know at any time, maybe people I don't know. So I get by without one.

DNMA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2011, 2:50 am

I don't really hate phones, I just feel uncomfortable talking with them.

I never knew why I was so afraid of talking on the phone, but I'd always figured that I'd grow out of it somehow. It kinda felt a little strange that I didn't after two years of owning a cell phone, so I've always been a little embarrassed about it and tried to avoid/delay making appointments/non-personal calls as much as possible. I think I'm prone to making more mistakes on the phone than I do on a face-to-face conversation because of my slight auditory processing disorder. Sometimes, I'll hear stuff but my brain won't process it and I'm left asking them to repeat what they said or pretend that I did hear them if it's not too important. :?

If it's my family, I don't really mind talking on the phone as much, but with anyone else, I kinda just want to get through the conversation as quickly and gracefully as possible.

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2011, 12:41 am

Hater phones hate making calls really hate texting if you want to talk to me for more then 4 minutes then either fb or some other internet thing or meet up in rl.

when I am on the phone i feel like I am taking to an alien I have no idea whats going on.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 5:10 am

I feel uncomfortable talking over a phone, I don't know why but I just find it makes it even more difficult because I lack expression in my voice. I prefer to text people, it helps because you have more time to analyze messages and come up with an appropriate response when you use text messaging.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

I don't like the way is feels to have someone talking straight to my head lol, then add the occasional interference and crackle. I text a lot. I wonder if it's because of my dreadful year in a call center.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

Phones really don't bother me, unless I get an unwanted call or text message from one of my you-know-who's.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2011, 7:50 am

I have bad social anxiety and hate myself so I hate phones. Many, many times I've had the dreaded "get a job yet? don't you have a bf? etc" I have 1 person I really like talking to (about a shared interest) and when I was trying to get work online it became the main thing she brought up every time. When I finally got one I told her but not when I lost it shortly thereafter. I also hate how everyone is rude, abrupt and doesn't identify themselves on the phone anymore (often this includes businesses). That has caused me to argue with strangers. "Who are you & why are you calling me?" is apparently considered rude but just bossing me around when you called isn't.

I keep trying to tell people "I don't like using the phone" but now I think that I might have to say I'm "phone phobic". I don't even know if that's an actual term.

For instance I need a woman psychiatrist. My therapist set up the appt & requested 1 but my dad was worried that they wouldn't honor that. He tried to call & check but they said it was confidential & I had to call myself. I can't. I have to be very drunk to talk on the phone with less fear & that doesn't translate well to anything important.

I don't like texting either. It's too immediate. Plus I rarely do it so I'm very slow at it while everyone else sends over a 100 a day.
Then they make fun of me for texting too slow.

I like email, message boards, that kind of thing. I also hate any type of IMing.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

I hate talking on the phone as well. It is harder for me to answer a call than to make one because I can't prepare a script for the conversation as I don't know what the other person will be calling about. I have problems with timing during phone calls so I either end up speaking at the same time as the other person or creating awkward silences. I used to work as a receptionist/switchboard operator but had to leave after a few months because it was too stressful and I got complaints from customers for ending calls too abruptly. I much prefer text or e-mail as you can answer in your own time or even ignore them if you want.

kennethb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2011, 6:06 pm

My wife and I had an argument the other day because I (for the thousandth time) didn't take my cell phone with me when I left the house. My cellphone's battery is dead half the time because I don't remember to charge it. If I do remember to charge it, I usually leave the phone somewhere that I am not.

I tried to explain to my wife that I'm not making a conscious decision to not take my phone with me or not answer it when I do have it with me. I think I avoid my cell phone for the same reason most people avoid sticking their hand into a fire: it hurts. When the phone rings it causes me physical distress. In explaining all this to my wife, I compared a ringing cell phone to being punched with an electric cattle prod. I have the same reaction to texts and instant messages.

To me, getting a phone call is the equivalent of someone knocking on my door, me opening the door, and them just walking into my house and talking to me. It's an invasion of personal space and an imposition on my time. I rarely call people on the phone for the same reason. To me, a phone call says "Drop whatever you're doing. What I've got to say is more important than anything else going on in your life right now."

I prefer to communicate by email because it is by nature asynchronous. I send the message when it's a good time for me to do so, and the recipient can reply when it's a good time for them. No one is imposing on anyone else's time or space.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm

I have an aversion to using the phone.

I avoid answering my own mobile phone - when it rings, I'm either annoyed or anxious about whoever might be calling, even if I like or love that person. I get embarrassed on the phone sometimes.

I always run out of things to say, even with my own family members, and I often find we end up speaking at the same time.

Email is much better for me. It gives me time to choose my words.

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2011, 2:02 am

Yeah email = good

Facebook = good but don;t expect a deep conversation I only have do that scripted type of talking we do

text= you might get an answer in a day or so unless its very important

phone = bad feel weird the whole time

real life = i love chatting to real people provided there are only a few people I'm interacting with other wise it becomes not so fun

recycledwit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

Oh god, I hate using phones. I don't care if I'm just supposed to order a pizza, I get so nervous. Ugh.