Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NineTailedFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

AGW is real, and a serious problem. But I can't stand apocalyptic doomsayers who insist there is nothing we can do about it, and we all have to drastically reduce our standard of living because renewable energy can never work.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 7:58 pm

Global warming denialists are playing Russian roulette.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

NineTailedFox wrote:
AGW is real, and a serious problem. But I can't stand apocalyptic doomsayers who insist there is nothing we can do about it, and we all have to drastically reduce our standard of living because renewable energy can never work.

Global warming is currently happening. How much is due to human activity and how much due to natural causes is in dispute.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

ruveyn wrote:
NineTailedFox wrote:

Global warming is currently happening. How much is due to human activity and how much due to natural causes is in dispute.

ruveyn

no sane person would say our effect is of no consequence however,

making the above rhetoric an excuse not to deal with the problem in the end anyway.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm

Meh, I just know it's December 15th and we've only had snow 2 times, and it's already melted. <,< Guess our canadian stereotype will soon shift at this rate....

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:47 pm

The warming is more dramatic as one shifts further north, Phil, so you're probably seeing more of an effect than those of us in the lower 48 + Hawai'i.

krixiajanna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2011, 4:27 am

what do you mean again?...it’ll be more accurate if “global warming remain”, it was never gone since it started in the first place.XD

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 4:53 am

Again here on this forum. The topic comes up about ...every other week or so? Once a month? and we all hash over most of the same arguments, with the OP and the few posts after it being the only new stuff.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:03 am

phil777 wrote:
Meh, I just know it's December 15th and we've only had snow 2 times, and it's already melted. <,< Guess our canadian stereotype will soon shift at this rate....

Or, Yellowknife will become Canada's biggest city

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

Oodain wrote:

making the above rhetoric an excuse not to deal with the problem in the end anyway.

If the current warming epoch is the result of a natural cycle taking an Oath of Poverty and promising to freeze in the dark will not help. Besides, there are better reasons for giving up the Filthy Oil Habit.

Why do I like clean air? Because I breath it. Why do I want to see us find better energy sources than petroleum and natural gas? Because most of it exists in countries that are hostile to the U.S.. The U.S. should not be dependent on people who dislike us and wish to do us harm.

Getting out from under the Filthy Oil Habit promotes a saner foreign policy. If it also leads to better temperatures that is an added extra.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

If the current warming epoch is the result of a natural cycle taking an Oath of Poverty and promising to freeze in the dark will not help. Besides, there are better reasons for giving up the Filthy Oil Habit.

Why do I like clean air? Because I breath it. Why do I want to see us find better energy sources than petroleum and natural gas? Because most of it exists in countries that are hostile to the U.S.. The U.S. should not be dependent on people who dislike us and wish to do us harm.

Getting out from under the Filthy Oil Habit promotes a saner foreign policy. If it also leads to better temperatures that is an added extra.

ruveyn

if the warming period happened alone it wouldnt be as much of an issue, the trouble is that there are some weather systems that once disrupted take some millenia or ten to get to a working order.
but the thing is i know the alternatives arent anymore expensive to use than the fossil fuel, the company i work for actually owns wind turbines both as an investment and power generation,

anyway co2 is only part of the equation, there are many factors including cf gasses, methane and a host of other factors, the air is shared by the planet and not only a country so any independant action would only give the proper effect if others follow suit.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Oodain wrote:

if the warming period happened alone it wouldnt be as much of an issue, the trouble is that there are some weather systems that once disrupted take some millenia or ten to get to a working order.
but the thing is i know the alternatives arent anymore expensive to use than the fossil fuel, the company i work for actually owns wind turbines both as an investment and power generation,

anyway co2 is only part of the equation, there are many factors including cf gasses, methane and a host of other factors, the air is shared by the planet and not only a country so any independant action would only give the proper effect if others follow suit.

If the Eco-Phreaks take over they will live in warm well lighted quarters during winter and you won't.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

If the Eco-Phreaks take over they will live in warm well lighted quarters during winter and you won't.

ruveyn

no one has to take over,
no one has to suffer, we simply have to be better.

anyhoo im curious how does eco phreaks "taking over" actually mean in an objective way and why would it lead to me not having heating´?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

Climate change is likely caused by natural weather patterns. There is no evidence we're doing anything to evidence, merely correlation. A lot of ice creams are bought in the summer, does that mean the sun produces ice creams? :roll:

It's shame really, because the sooner the environment of this planet kills off all the humans, the better.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

unfortunately i actually think humanity could survive a snowball earth scenario.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

Oodain wrote:
unfortunately i actually think humanity could survive a snowball earth scenario.

It's what I've been doing all day (seriously, the weather has been s**t) :P

But yeah, it really is a great shame.