Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What is the CAUSE of what I just described (I am not asking what I have, but strictly what is the CAUSE that is relevent to this one single post)
Asperger ALONE 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Asperger ALONE 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
mild anxiety/depression ALONE 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
mild anxiety/depression ALONE 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Age ALONE 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Age ALONE 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Asperger + Age 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Asperger + Age 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Asperger + mild Anxiety/depression 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Asperger + mild Anxiety/depression 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Asperger + Age + mild Anxiety/depression 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Asperger + Age + mild Anxiety/depression 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Other 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Other 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 52

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 12:40 pm

Roman wrote:
Fraya wrote:
If your lacking hopes and dreams to share your not ready for a relationship and need to work on yourself first before trying to draw others in.

Yes I agree with you completely. Thats why I was making this post on the first place.

But then again, what should I do to get the hopes/dreams?

Looking back at what I been saying three years ago, it is funny I even asked that question. I mean, ever since I was 9 years old I had one major life time dream which is to become a physicist. I never gave up that dream, regardless of how "depressed" I was, simply because that is the way I define who I am. May be I am just so used to this being part of who I am, that I don't even notice it or recognize it as one of my hopes/dreams, while it definitely is.

Anyway, this brings us right back to the question on whom or how can I share this hope/dream? My last relationship, with Jennifer, which lasted for almost two years is a good example where it was NOT happening, since she kept getting mad at me that I keep studying all the time and not give her enough attention. So are you saying I should find a girl who has similar attitude towards studying, and then it would be okay with her since she, too, would have to do her school work, while I do mine?

But I guess this is not about SHARING hopes/dreams, this is about CONVENIENCE due to similar hopes/dreams. So what do you mean by sharing? Should the girl be a physicist, working in my field, and then we can work on the same project? Well, I know most relationships are not that way. So how else can I share my hope/dream of being a physicist? Can it really be done with a girl who is in a different field?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 1:02 pm

Roman wrote:
Roman wrote:
Fraya wrote:
If your lacking hopes and dreams to share your not ready for a relationship and need to work on yourself first before trying to draw others in.

Yes I agree with you completely. Thats why I was making this post on the first place.

But then again, what should I do to get the hopes/dreams?

Looking back at what I been saying three years ago, it is funny I even asked that question. I mean, ever since I was 9 years old I had one major life time dream which is to become a physicist. I never gave up that dream, regardless of how "depressed" I was, simply because that is the way I define who I am. May be I am just so used to this being part of who I am, that I don't even notice it or recognize it as one of my hopes/dreams, while it definitely is.

Anyway, this brings us right back to the question on whom or how can I share this hope/dream? My last relationship, with Jennifer, which lasted for almost two years is a good example where it was NOT happening, since she kept getting mad at me that I keep studying all the time and not give her enough attention. So are you saying I should find a girl who has similar attitude towards studying, and then it would be okay with her since she, too, would have to do her school work, while I do mine?

But I guess this is not about SHARING hopes/dreams, this is about CONVENIENCE due to similar hopes/dreams. So what do you mean by sharing? Should the girl be a physicist, working in my field, and then we can work on the same project? Well, I know most relationships are not that way. So how else can I share my hope/dream of being a physicist? Can it really be done with a girl who is in a different field?

I don't think that she necessarily has to be in the same field as you. Having said that, you're lucky that you've had a relationship. Being the same age as you, I still haven't had one and I think that's because of social skills. I've also always wanted to become a physicist and I'm happy to say that I'm pretty much already there. I just have to figure out the topic for my doctorate. I've already passed my MSc in astrophysics cum laude.

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2009, 1:09 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
You need the poll optional:

completely confused what this poll is asking

Exactly.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 1:12 pm

Roman wrote:
Okay in the context of thinking of why I don't have a lot of luck with women, I have recently ran across a realization that attraction has never been a part of the equation. YES I AM STRAIGHT, but the point is that my whole emotional spectrum is very flat. I don't really enjoy eating, or any other "simple" things. My whole purpose of life was getting approval from others, and this definitely includes having girlfriend. Thus, it doesn't even matter how attractive she is. The only thing I care about is that she is willing to be "in a relationship" with me which is a sign of approval. Thus I had to work out LOGICALLY on how to "generate" signs of attraction which I didn't feel. So, in a sense, I was basically deceiving everyone by trying to pretend to feel something which I don't. At the same time, I was taking it for granted that it is a world-wide fact that the only reason for relationship is an approval, so I weren't even realizing I was basically trying to lie to everyone!

Of course the other factor is the fact taht I was obsessed about every single woman I was with. But this still can be traced to waht is discussed above. Trying to fake emotions is a streneous intellectual task. So, no wonder, from time to time I was failing at it. And the more I fail the more I became convinced that I have to obsess about it more and more. And, of course, my low self esteem (another depressive symptome) reinforced my obsession since the approval I was getting from women was basically a life-saver since being single absolutely causes me to feel that I am worthless. Of course, if I had some little things that were making me happy, they would of distracted me from this obsession. But the fact that I can't "smell roses" makes any and all of my obsessions basically a point of my life.

So this brings me to asking is having flat affect part of Asperger? I guess I kind of have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I definitely had much more emotions up untill I was 18. Yes I was definitely attracted to some women and had several crushes some of which lasted for many month up. The irony is that I have been ignoring them which was combination of extreme shyness about it as well as an idea that physics is all that matters and everything else is a "waste of time". On the other hand, right now that I don't really feel attracted to women, all of a sudden I WANT a girlfriend just in order to get an approval.

So could it be that I am suffering mild depressive symptoms that my life is dominated by "gray" feelings (i.e. mostly lack of them) as well as negativity (thoughts of rejection). Because a lot of other htinsg became that way too. I lost interest in school, and also eating became an exercise, and my days are dominated by an idea that I have to "escape" to another dimension. But on the other hand, I am not really sure whether it is serious enough to be called "depression" because I never had suicidal thoughts or anything of that nature.

So could it be part of Asperger DESPITE the fact that it started when I was over 18? Yes, Asperger is what I get from birth. BUT could it be that up UNTILL I was 18 there were other things that "made up" for Asperger? For example, even though I was programmed not to care about food, still the fact that I USED to be a growing boy made me care? And likewise could it be that despite the fact that I was programmed not to feel any strong attraction to women, the fact that I was a teen MADE me feel one?

But on the toher hand, it is interesting that I can spot a particular event when my whole life became kind of gray. Namely, when I got two D-s back in Spring 1999, when I was 19. Starting from that point I got into a "different dimension" so to speak in a sense that everything both good and bad were in "different colors" (much more gray than before) and I never came back. I remember LONGING to come back to the "other side" of two D-s (and still do) not because of the D-s but because of that "other dimension".

BUt then again, since I was 19, that other dimension could be accounted by my stopping to grow. Once the growth stops, aging begins. So I dunno, is the whole business part of Asperger, or stopping to grow, or depressive symptoms or all of the above? Do anyone else identify with the fact that you LACK any kind of emotions OTHER THAN wanting to please others? Going back to the original topic of the post, do you guys seek relationship because you actually feel attracted to the members of opposite sex, or do you simply try to pretend to be having feelings that you don't, just for the sake of self-validation?

Or another thought: could lack of emotions basically be a ROOT of Asperger? Because looking back to what I felt up UNTIL I was 18, I realize that if I were to approach back then any of the women I did feel attracted to, then I would of actually done a lot of the things which right now I am being accused of NOT doing And, of course, failing to do them always gets blamed on Asperger since it is linked to lack of social skills (but then again, how do I know I would of done untill I was 18 given that back then I was totally consumed with school and nothing else). So, if true, could the same be extrapolated on otehr areas of life? Could it be that for example aspies don't do other socially appropriate things simply because they don't care about anyone other than themselves? Lets take my ability to hold conversation. I would hold it just fine if it happends to relate to my topic of obsession. But since in most of the cases it doesn't, thats why I can't hold conversation with anyone.

And by the way speaking of obsessive topics, this again reinforces my idea. If aspies have restricted interests, then NO WONDER they feel gray most of the time. After all normal people always get recharged through different little things that "make them happy" but since aspies have restricted interests there is NOTHING that would make aspi happy other than X, Y, and Z. So this would be a pretty sad place to be.

So, in light of this, does asperger relate to mild depression? I know that aspies feel depressed due to social failures. But even apart from any and all social problems, shouldnt' aspies also be depressed due to the fact that they are only interested in so few things and nothing else? And also could the problem that aspies have with social skills be dirrectly related to that other kind of depression? And of course can it be really called depression since it doesn't cause suicide or anyting like that? Any input would be helpful.

Could you perhaps summarize this a bit please? It's a bit too much for me :roll:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 1:15 pm

Roman wrote:
Okay in the context of thinking of why I don't have a lot of luck with women, I have recently ran across a realization that attraction has never been a part of the equation. YES I AM STRAIGHT, but the point is that my whole emotional spectrum is very flat. I don't really enjoy eating, or any other "simple" things. My whole purpose of life was getting approval from others, and this definitely includes having girlfriend. Thus, it doesn't even matter how attractive she is. The only thing I care about is that she is willing to be "in a relationship" with me which is a sign of approval. Thus I had to work out LOGICALLY on how to "generate" signs of attraction which I didn't feel. So, in a sense, I was basically deceiving everyone by trying to pretend to feel something which I don't. At the same time, I was taking it for granted that it is a world-wide fact that the only reason for relationship is an approval, so I weren't even realizing I was basically trying to lie to everyone!

Of course the other factor is the fact taht I was obsessed about every single woman I was with. But this still can be traced to waht is discussed above. Trying to fake emotions is a streneous intellectual task. So, no wonder, from time to time I was failing at it. And the more I fail the more I became convinced that I have to obsess about it more and more. And, of course, my low self esteem (another depressive symptome) reinforced my obsession since the approval I was getting from women was basically a life-saver since being single absolutely causes me to feel that I am worthless. Of course, if I had some little things that were making me happy, they would of distracted me from this obsession. But the fact that I can't "smell roses" makes any and all of my obsessions basically a point of my life.

So this brings me to asking is having flat affect part of Asperger? I guess I kind of have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I definitely had much more emotions up untill I was 18. Yes I was definitely attracted to some women and had several crushes some of which lasted for many month up. The irony is that I have been ignoring them which was combination of extreme shyness about it as well as an idea that physics is all that matters and everything else is a "waste of time". On the other hand, right now that I don't really feel attracted to women, all of a sudden I WANT a girlfriend just in order to get an approval.

So could it be that I am suffering mild depressive symptoms that my life is dominated by "gray" feelings (i.e. mostly lack of them) as well as negativity (thoughts of rejection). Because a lot of other htinsg became that way too. I lost interest in school, and also eating became an exercise, and my days are dominated by an idea that I have to "escape" to another dimension. But on the other hand, I am not really sure whether it is serious enough to be called "depression" because I never had suicidal thoughts or anything of that nature.

So could it be part of Asperger DESPITE the fact that it started when I was over 18? Yes, Asperger is what I get from birth. BUT could it be that up UNTILL I was 18 there were other things that "made up" for Asperger? For example, even though I was programmed not to care about food, still the fact that I USED to be a growing boy made me care? And likewise could it be that despite the fact that I was programmed not to feel any strong attraction to women, the fact that I was a teen MADE me feel one?

But on the toher hand, it is interesting that I can spot a particular event when my whole life became kind of gray. Namely, when I got two D-s back in Spring 1999, when I was 19. Starting from that point I got into a "different dimension" so to speak in a sense that everything both good and bad were in "different colors" (much more gray than before) and I never came back. I remember LONGING to come back to the "other side" of two D-s (and still do) not because of the D-s but because of that "other dimension".

BUt then again, since I was 19, that other dimension could be accounted by my stopping to grow. Once the growth stops, aging begins. So I dunno, is the whole business part of Asperger, or stopping to grow, or depressive symptoms or all of the above? Do anyone else identify with the fact that you LACK any kind of emotions OTHER THAN wanting to please others? Going back to the original topic of the post, do you guys seek relationship because you actually feel attracted to the members of opposite sex, or do you simply try to pretend to be having feelings that you don't, just for the sake of self-validation?

Or another thought: could lack of emotions basically be a ROOT of Asperger? Because looking back to what I felt up UNTIL I was 18, I realize that if I were to approach back then any of the women I did feel attracted to, then I would of actually done a lot of the things which right now I am being accused of NOT doing And, of course, failing to do them always gets blamed on Asperger since it is linked to lack of social skills (but then again, how do I know I would of done untill I was 18 given that back then I was totally consumed with school and nothing else). So, if true, could the same be extrapolated on otehr areas of life? Could it be that for example aspies don't do other socially appropriate things simply because they don't care about anyone other than themselves? Lets take my ability to hold conversation. I would hold it just fine if it happends to relate to my topic of obsession. But since in most of the cases it doesn't, thats why I can't hold conversation with anyone.

And by the way speaking of obsessive topics, this again reinforces my idea. If aspies have restricted interests, then NO WONDER they feel gray most of the time. After all normal people always get recharged through different little things that "make them happy" but since aspies have restricted interests there is NOTHING that would make aspi happy other than X, Y, and Z. So this would be a pretty sad place to be.

So, in light of this, does asperger relate to mild depression? I know that aspies feel depressed due to social failures. But even apart from any and all social problems, shouldnt' aspies also be depressed due to the fact that they are only interested in so few things and nothing else? And also could the problem that aspies have with social skills be dirrectly related to that other kind of depression? And of course can it be really called depression since it doesn't cause suicide or anyting like that? Any input would be helpful.

Could you perhaps summarize this a bit please? It's a bit too much for me :roll:

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2009, 1:17 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

Exactly again.
Anything over 40 words and I'm usually hitting the "NEXT" button.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 1:23 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Roman wrote:

That post was originally written three years ago, so a lot of it is not relevent to my current situation since I had two year long relationship between then and now, which was only recently over, so I am not yet back to being puzzled as to why I can't find a new one.

The reason I bumped this post up is that it seems to be relevent to my present situation in a sense that I talked a lot about not being able to enjoy things, and the way it impacts relationshp. This seems to be very relevent to what happened the last year (even though post was written long before then) since I was resenting Jennifer for dragging me through the same routines (movies, food, and all that) that disract me from physics, which is what ultimately ruined this relationship. Looking back though it seems that the more I would be unhappy for my own reasons (such as being stuck on research paper) the more I would resent Jennifer, which was kind of unfair towards her. So this lead me to feel that may be I was onto something with this post, in that I should be able to be happy in order to be with someone? If my research was perfect, then the time with her would have been a reward for a well done job, I won't have been resenting her for it, and then relationship would have been better.

And then when I read this post, the first responder said about "sharing my dreams". And this brings back to mind that being a physicist is my dream, and Jennifer didn't respect it to the extend that I wanted her to. Well, she definitely DID respect my choice, but her complaint was that she was not "number 1" since physics was; but to me OF COURSE physics is number 1, that is part of who I am, ever since I made that choice when I was 9 years old! So, was that responder onto something regarding the whole "sharign your dreams" issue, meaning that if I were to be with anotehr girl for whom school is also a top priority she would be understanding? But then this would be convenience, not dream sharing. So from point of view of dream sharing, what would it be, if my dream is physics? Is it working on the same physics project?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 2:42 pm

Jono wrote:
I don't think that she necessarily has to be in the same field as you. Having said that, you're lucky that you've had a relationship. Being the same age as you, I still haven't had one and I think that's because of social skills. I've also always wanted to become a physicist and I'm happy to say that I'm pretty much already there. I just have to figure out the topic for my doctorate. I've already passed my MSc in astrophysics cum laude.

I am glad to meet someone who is 29 who have not gotten ph.d. yet. Because I always thought that I got ph.d. much later than most ppl do. But then again, I don't have actual statistics, and I barely know anyone on my school, so may be I am completely wrong and it is perfectly normal to get ph.d. at this age. So, if you are one of the "average" ppl, this really reassures me.

I guess I mainly assumed I was late due to simple math. I mean, you are supposed to be freshman in college at 18. This means that your first year of graduate school is 22. So this means that you get ph.d. at 27. Now some ppl told me in the response to that that sometimes students take time off between college and graduate school. But how common is it? I always assumed most ppl DON"T take time off, but then again may be it is just a wrong assumption?

Here is my story: I used to be AHEAD of the program. I learned calculus when I was 12-13 on my own. I then was taking college math and college physics while in high school. By the time I graduated I finished first two years of college math and first three years of college physics. Consequently, I only did three years in college instead of four. I could have graduated even faster from college, but the breadth requirenments (i.e. courses OUTSIDE my math/physics double major) have slowed me down. Anyway, within that space of three years I completted 8 graduate level courses: 4 in math and 4 in physics.

The way I fell behind was in graduate school. Basically I assumed graduate school is like college: it is all about courses, while research is something I should do after I done with all my courses, in my third year. I then had to face a hard reality towards the end of my second year that it is about research, but I didn't have enough time to catch up by then, so I had to get a master's and transfer to another graduate school. Then in new graduate school I was slowed down in that I "didn't like" the philosophy of the area of research I was working on so I was trying to "rewrite it" before I could do what I was asked to do. This slowed me down even more. Eventually I realized that I shouldn't do the area of research I "don't like" and switched over to the one that I "like". The latter being a very new field, not very developed, where I can basically say "everyone is wrong I will do it my own way". I love that! So that is what ultimately gave me my ph.d. But then again I only found that field three years ago. So basically I wasted five years.

So anyway, back to original question: at what age do most ppl get their ph.d.? And how about you? Why are you getting it at the age that you do?

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2009, 3:40 pm

Roman wrote:
So anyway, back to original question: at what age do most ppl get their ph.d.? And how about you? Why are you getting it at the age that you do?

Where I live education up to a HS diploma or GED (what I have) is the rule. Less than 40% of people get past HS/GED; less than 70% get an AA and about 90% never get a bachelors. Less than 1% of our states' education-going population achieve any kind of post-graduate studies. Our states' HS drop-out rate hovers around 20% (1 in 5 kids will never graduate HS).
I only know of one person how has (recently) received a PhD and (quite honestly) he's an ass now that he has it.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

Roman wrote:

While some people do manage to get their PhD's in their 20's, as far as I know, it's not that common to get a PhD before 30 and I know of some people who haven't got theirs before 35. This is because a lot of people try and look for work after graduating but then it becomes more difficult to find time to study. As for me, the reason why I've only just got my MSc now is a long story. The short part of it is that after I matriculated at 19, I didn't initially get the requirements to get in to university because I went to a high school for adolescents with learning disabilities and they didn't offer maths on higher grade (which I would of needed). That's despite the fact that I always knew I was good at maths (at age 11 or 12 I figured out how to write programs on an old computer I had from the 80's). So I had to do a bridging year in 2000. I was also delayed by another year because of a decision I made in my honours year (that's our equivalent to the fourth year BSc that they have in America) which in retrospect was probably not a great decision. You can read the full story in a post I made a while back:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2266454.html#2266454.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 4:03 pm

Well I'm 29 and I'm just getting my master's completed. Depression screwed my chances for getting a PhD. I did fine in classes but I can't handle the isolation and lack of structure that's inherent in research. I'm also too much of a perfectionist and don't like having to write something up just for the sake of getting through the hoops. Right now I don't really enjoy my research because I don't have time to do what I'd really be interested in doing. What really interests is beyond the scope of what can be done in the time frame I have. All the interesting questions that could be solved in the scope of a PhD dissertation have already been solved so graduate students are left with the tedious uninteresting research. The way the system is set up sucks.