Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 7:45 am

I've noticed in my asperger support group that quite a lot of aspies love the movies of Studio Ghibli. I fell in love with Ghibli when I first saw Princess Mononoke in 2001. Since then, Ghibli has been my special interest. Sure, I've had other special interests over the years, but this has been the longest time (10 years). My favourite Ghibli is and will always be Princess Mononoke, but I really love all Ghiblis, except The cat returns and Pom Poko. Who else loves Studio Ghibli? What's your favourite Ghibli movie? And why do so many people wit asperger love Studio Ghibli (or is it just here in Finland that aspies love Ghibli)? Talk about anything related to Ghibli here

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2011, 8:19 am

Unfortunately, Totoro and Spirited Away (considered by many to be the best) don't really interest me for some reason.

My favorite ones are Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed Nausica but couldn't get into it as much which is a shame because the characters and the setting were very interesting.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

I am unfortuantly the minority of anime fans that is not as impressed by Ghibli as many others. Though if I would say the Grave of the Fireflies is one of the war movies that has affected me the most, I bawled my eyes out with that. I also did not mind Howl, but apparently that is one of the least popular.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:46 am

Synecdoche wrote:
Unfortunately, Totoro and Spirited Away (considered by many to be the best) don't really interest me for some reason.

My favorite ones are Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed Nausica but couldn't get into it as much which is a shame because the characters and the setting were very interesting.

*shock horror* Is it possible to not like Totoro? Totoro is one of the few movies that I can fully enjoy in a childlike way, without my brain analyzing everything. Porco rosso is one of my favourite ghiblis. It kind of reminds me of the film noir genre of the 40s-50s. And it has ghiblis funniest villains and most beautiful heroine. One of the scenes that move me the most in any ghibli movie is the scene in Porco rosso when Gina sings her song. She's a woman who has suffered, but is still ready to risk everything and fall in love again. She's just...perfect.
About Princess mononoke... is it just me or do the rest of you also think that San (princess Mononoke) is pretty aspielike? As I've said in another thread, I've met many women with asperger who are very fierce and brave, but full of hate, like San. She's the ghibli heroine I can relate best to.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

definately

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:04 am

TB wrote:
definately

sorry, what is this a responce to?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:19 am

My first watched and favourite is Laputa, Castle In The Sky. Howl's Moving Castle is great too.

I really hated that two-faced monster in Spirited Away, though it's a good film. I think it's a bit eerie for kids.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

I love Ghibli films. While the non-Miyasaki films are hit-or-miss, they're still mostly good. As for Miyazaki himself, they don't call him the Japanese Disney for nothing. The stories are so well done and even the simple ones are brought out really well. And as for the artwork, incredible.

Personally, I own Totoro, Spirited, Kiki, Howl, Naussca, and Ponyo. I've seen Castle In The Sky, Fireflies (holy crap, what a SAD movie), Mononoke, and Rosso, and would definitely consider owning any of them if the right price came along.

ainsel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Howl's Moving Castle is my personal favorite with Spirited Away as a close second, though mostly for the beautiful art and animation rather than the plot or characters. Howl's Moving Castle is equally beautiful with really endearing characters. And Princess Mononoke is a classic, of course.

I've never really been a fan of the Studio Ghibli movies for really young audiences (Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service). Maybe I was just too old when I watched them.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

I have a collection of 30 odd DVD's, cant get enough and they are all different 'Only Yesterday' is one of my many favourites.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 5:17 pm

The only ones I've seen are My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo.

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite.
Spirited is also amazing and beautiful.
I watched Totoro all the time when I was younger, I still have the VHS.
Ponyo was ok.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 5:17 am

smudge wrote:
My first watched and favourite is Laputa, Castle In The Sky. Howl's Moving Castle is great too.

I really hated that two-faced monster in Spirited Away, though it's a good film. I think it's a bit eerie for kids.

I just love Ma Pirate & her boys in Laputa :)

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 6:51 am

iceb wrote:
smudge wrote:

Yeah, Ma Dola and her boys are really funny. I especially love the scene where all the boys are trying to impress Sheeta and come to help her in the kitchen. The only ghibli "villains" that are funnier than the Dola gang is Mama Aiuto in Porco Rosso. I love how everything that the Mama Aiuto gang attempts fails epically.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 7:14 am

[youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwem1icOTss[/youtube]

can anyone tell me where in Nausicaa this is played? I've seen Nausicaa loads of times but can't find this song. Or is it just in the image album (evidently Joe Hisaishi, who has made the music to all Miyazaki films since Nausicaa, often writes music that indicates the mood of the movie etc, but isn't used in the finished movie)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
iceb wrote:
smudge wrote:

Yeah, Ma Dola and her boys are really funny. I especially love the scene where all the boys are trying to impress Sheeta and come to help her in the kitchen. The only ghibli "villains" that are funnier than the Dola gang is Mama Aiuto in Porco Rosso. I love how everything that the Mama Aiuto gang attempts fails epically.

I agree! I don't know why Laputa doesn't get mentioned more often. I ought to watch Porco Rosso.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

I've seen (in order) Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and just last night, Castle in the Sky. All were amazing but my favorite would be Princess Mononoke.