Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:03 am

Hi everyone

I just had something happen which made me think I'm being really logical here, but everyone else is being a little silly and thinking I'm the silly one. I voluntered to help sell raffle tickets to the people coming to my daughter's school show. I did what needed to be done: tearing off strips of 5 tickets and selling them for £1 a strip. Then, like everyone else, I started to separete the other half of the tickets and put them in the bag for the draw. But, someone noticed that I was starting to separate them into individual tickets, when they wanted them to be kept on the strip of 5. I said, 'Oops, sorry'. I had only done a couple like that and it was forgotten about, no-one minded. I say they didn't mind, but from experience, I'm sure they're thinking, 'What a twit, why did she do that?'

But, why did we sell everyone a whole strip of tickets, when they were only getting one chance for £1? If I bought 5 tickets, I would expect to get 5 chances at winning. It's wasteful and resulted in more work for us too. Raffle ticket books aren't all that expensive, but why didn't we just sell a single ticket for £1? I talked this through with my ever logical husband and he agreed. I've sold tickets before, at the school, and it has always been the same, come to think of it. I don't think anyone has realised the error, or maybe they think people won't buy a ticket for a £1, but will buy 5, even though their chance of winning is the exact same, as the tickets aren't split. Even if they didn't know the tickets wouldn't be split, they know now because they saw them being drawn from the bag. So, after what I assume to be several years of this, surely someone must have realised this is either wasteful or mildly dishonest.

It's really not a big deal, but sometimes being too logical comes across as silly to the majority (who just haven't thought it through).

Any other experiences like this?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:13 am

IKR!

I also hate arbitrary point inflation in video games, there is no need to make all the scores a multiple of 100.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

I'm the opposite. I'm too sensitive for a lot of people. I'm not saying that I cry at the drop of a hat multiple times a day. I'm saying that I have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old and I have a hard time standing up for myself and being assertive with out breaking down and crying. That doesn't happen as often as it used to, because I've removed myself from those situations. I'm also more likely to cry over sad things than even the average NT. Maybe you guys can give some of your logic to me.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm the opposite. I'm too sensitive for a lot of people. I'm not saying that I cry at the drop of a hat multiple times a day. I'm saying that I have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old and I have a hard time standing up for myself and being assertive with out breaking down and crying. That doesn't happen as often as it used to, because I've removed myself from those situations. I'm also more likely to cry over sad things than even the average NT. Maybe you guys can give some of your logic to me.

But, I'm also very sensitive and emotional. Which is why when they told me what I was doing was wrong, I just said, 'Oops, sorry'. Had I said anything like what I said in my post and anyone had tried to disagree with me, I would have been out of my depth and would have been very close to tears (although I knew I was right). Seems silly over such a small matter, but I know I would have taken any negative responses very personally.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

The only conceivable reason for not letting you separate the tickets is that they wanted to do it themselves, indoors, in an organised fashion.

If that is not the case and they are seriously selling people what they think are 5 tickets for 1 dollar when it's actually just one ticket that is very close to fraud.

20 pence/cents etc is a usual price for a raffle ticket of this nature. So while I'm not sure about logic etc I think you are better informed.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:19 pm

readingbetweenlines wrote:
The only conceivable reason for not letting you separate the tickets is that they wanted to do it themselves, indoors, in an organised fashion.

If that is not the case and they are seriously selling people what they think are 5 tickets for 1 dollar when it's actually just one ticket that is very close to fraud.

20 pence/cents etc is a usual price for a raffle ticket of this nature. So while I'm not sure about logic etc I think you are better informed.

The tickets never got separated. I put them in the bag with a couple of other mums we mixed them around and handed the bag to the teacher. She just picked out strips. In fact, she picked out a strip of 3 (one that I had started to separate) and was a little confused and said it was the strip ending in no 355 (or something). I don't think the women were deliberately trying to cheat anyone, I just don't think they'd considered what we were doing was odd or deceptive (both in my mind). But, I never challenged it, so I'm just as much to blame really.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

If they don't separate them later, it is definitely a fraud. Why else would they tell you not to split them? Hopefully somebody will address the issue.

Years ago i made a job as floor layer and my boss always had some almost empty cans of carpet glue and she put it on the bill, so in the end the customer would pay for three cans. Similar frauds are commonplace for painters, tilers, and other construction related industries.