Just found out the grossest thing ever

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

If you have food issues, stop reading now. This may ruin cereal and anything made with flour for you forever.

You have been warned.

Now, I have just found out that when you buy cereal and flour it's meant to be used within a certain amount of time, right? It's not ONLY to keep it from going stale. Grains have eggs on them from moths. Most of those are washed off, but they are unable to wash off all of them. Some of the eggs are still there when you purchase it. If you were to buy a box of cereal or a bag of flour and leave it unopened for about six to eight months, then open it, there is about a 30% chance that at least one of the eggs will have hatched and a moth can either fly out, or will be dead inside, in the product.

No more cereal for me!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

* rushes of to buy some cereal *

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

Thank you for sharing that with us. I'm going to be more careful with cereal from now on. :)

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

yum protein!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Hmm, I've never had a moth fly out of flour before, or found a dead one, but thanks!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

The grossest thing ever is not moths in cereal, but instead human nature.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

One time, I poured a bowl of cereal, only to find that there were sugar ants crawling all over the cereal. Ugh!

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
One time, I poured a bowl of cereal, only to find that there were sugar ants crawling all over the cereal. Ugh!

Something similar once happened to me. One time i was eating pancakes, i opened a jar of sugar and put it on my pancakes without looking. I started eating, After a few bites i looked at the jar, and saw there were alot of ants crawling in the sugar. I freaked out jumped up my chair and spit out my pancake. For a while i didn't want to eat pancakes anymore. Hahaha

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

Miharu wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

Something similar once happened to me. One time i was eating pancakes, i opened a jar of sugar and put it on my pancakes without looking. I started eating, After a few bites i looked at the jar, and saw there were alot of ants crawling in the sugar. I freaked out jumped up my chair and spit out my pancake. For a while i didn't want to eat pancakes anymore. Hahaha

lol! I'm definitely glad I saw the ants before I even poured the milk! Sugar ants are so annoying! Oh, I've got another bad food experience that happened last year. We bought some fish from the frozen food section at Wal-Mart and when we cooked it, it was horribly dried out. We called the manufacturer about it and they asked for the number on the box. We told them and they said that that box had expired over eight years ago!! (For the record, there wasn't an expiration date on the box and it looked brand new.). The company was nice enough to send us $5 to buy a new box of fish. Now we always check the date on the frozen food at Wal-Mart!

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

It happens. We're not the only creatures to eat food. This kind of thing has been a natural occurrence since long before mass production.

It's natural. It's why we check food before we eat it, and also why we cook most of it.

I wouldn't just quit eating cereal for this reason, otherwise you may as well quit eating food altogether.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

I think the only thing to come out of my cereal box, other than cereal, was the toy.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

I read that you can put the unopened cereal in the freezer overnight and it will kill the eggs. I guess it would take a few hours to thaw.

I just don't like the idea of eating bug eggs. But I'm sure I do all the time without knowing it.

I guess it's not as bad as what happened to a friend once, many, many years ago that I witnessed. I was about 20 and over at a friends house and we were all sitting around drinking beer. One guy had gone to bed, and left a half a can of beer sitting there. We were almost out of beer, so another guy picked it up and started drinking it. We were all really drunk by then. He drank the whole thing, only to discover at the bottom of it, a cigarette butt! I still get sick to my stomach thinking about that one.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

MXH wrote:
yum protein!
dang! beat me to it! >:(

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Lightning88 wrote:

I once found an entire wasp in my strawberry yogurt, now strawberries yogurt makes my feel sick, expecially when it has strawberry pieces in it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

MrXxx wrote:
It happens. We're not the only creatures to eat food. This kind of thing has been a natural occurrence since long before mass production.

It's natural. It's why we check food before we eat it, and also why we cook most of it.

I wouldn't just quit eating cereal for this reason, otherwise you may as well quit eating food altogether.

yeah, sometimes i have to be reminded of this because i've gotten upset. like i saw carpet beetles in my crackers and i had a meltdown. i said to my former husband that i just wanted a snack, and he answered, "so did they." and when i said i don't mind bugs except not in my house, he said, "it's their house too." of course he killed them on sight, but he put it into perspective that they are as natural in my home as i am.

"production insects" are really common and expected in the food processing industry. i've had the moths in the flour thing. i didn't notice them in an old bag of flour until they made their escape and took over a shelf in the pantry. we had a standoff and i eventually won, but it took some meticulous cleaning!! !

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

It's not uncommon in Europe either. Also affects products like rice, pudding rice etc. I had one infestation as a student. If you find the moths on any produce you really need to throw them out and check all other products that are not in tightly closed metal or glass containers or fans.