What are some inappropriate things that you have said?

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
When I was 4, I saw a women with grey hair, stared at her for a while, then turned to my mum and said "if somebody has grey hair does that mean they're going to die soon?"
The thing is, I didn't mean it in that way at all... I was asking a question and didn't really understand it would upset somebody back then.

It is quite normal for little kids to say things about people they shouldn't. I remember when my cousin was about 3 or 4, she yelled out, ''there's a lot of fat people in here!'' really loud in a shop, and her mum felt bad, but the toddler didn't understand that it was inappropriate to shout that out back then.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:35 pm

Yeah, let's not feel bad for things we said as children... After I had explain how children are concieved and born to my 5 year old who was asking questions, he kept telling people in the bus how he "had been in mommy's vagina", and that if they had a mommy, they also had been there. Talk about inappropriate.....

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:57 pm

I say inappropriate things all the time, but here are the incidents that stick out the most in my mind:

Several years ago when my Nana came out to visit, she was meeting my brother-in-law for the first time. I introduced him as "the guy who knocked [my sister] up". Nana was offended, but I didn't (and still don't) understand why, since she says inappropriate things all the time. The reason I said it was so that I could make her laugh, but like most of my attempts at humor, it backfired.

Even further back before that, when I was a little kid, I was minding my own business (probably talking to my imaginary friends or playing a video game) when my mom came into my room and said that my brother hit his head and got a lump because of it. She told me to look at it and asked me what I thought. I told her it was "gruesome", expecting her to be impressed with my large vocabulary. Instead she got angry and said I shouldn't talk about my brother that way.

When I was in junior high, I was in a creative writing class, and everyone had to go to the teacher's desk and tell him our ideas for a story we planned to write. I told him my idea about a pair of identical twin transvestites who were in an incestuous relationship with each other. He politely told me that that kind of story wasn't appropriate for school, and that I should think of a different one. Unfortunately, since I talk in a naturally loud voice, the whole class overheard me. After that I was known as "the girl who made up a story about gay incest".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2011, 4:04 pm

Compared the choice of studying French or German to the choice between cancer and AIDS.
Played the word "c***s" in scrabble so I could get a triple word score.
Told a fat girl that she was fat.
Compared dinner ladies suffering from logical failings and doing blindly as they were told to security guards who happened to live in Germany in the 1930s.

Most amusingly, a boy in my year mixes milk and Coke to form Moke. One of my female friends said she wanted to try it, but it looked horrible. I told her to "just shut your eyes and stick it in your mouth".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:43 pm

It's normal for small children to say inappropriate things. If an aspie does it as a small child, people excuse it and know you didn't mean it. It's written off as normal. It's hard to tell what was said because of the AS and what was said because of young age. My mother would just write everyone off as normal for me growing up that was normal at that age but yet she still knew I had something. Then she said at age 11, around there, I was starting to be literal but then she said I had always been literal. Seems like a contradiction there but all kids are literal when they are little so she may have written it off as normal but when I got to a certain age, I was supposed to read between the lines but I didn't so she said that was when I was starting to get literal because it wasn't normal anymore. I guess when you are mild, it's harder to tell. But sometimes my mother doesn't make sense because she figured out she had to say to me "Not today, not tomorrow, never" to get me to not ever do that again and I was nine years old. But yet she expected me to figure out "stop that teasing" means stop teasing.

I still don't see why it's rude to tell people how to spell your name. Lot of people make a fuss when their name is spelled wrong and they will point it out. Last names are usually hard to spell and if someone has an unique spelling to their first name, people will misspell it. Are we all supposed to have people misspell our names? It might not be rude in the USA to do that and to say Americans are rude is like saying the Japanesse are rude for chewing with their mouths open. They be rude if they did it here but do it in Japan, it's not rude. I read that in some countries it's rude to clean your plate and in some other countries it's rude to not clean your plate, here it's neither. I bet if those people came here and saw that behavior, they might think we were all being rude.

I remember Joe90 saying something about how it's inappropriate to walk with food in your hands. Here it's not inappropriate to do this. I am sure when mom and I did that in London, we were seen as inappropriate and I bet when we opened our mouths to talk, I bet they thought "Oh, they are American. No wonder" because it's not inappropriate over here so how would we know it's inappropriate over there?

I think there are rude people everywhere so it's not a USA thing.

Here is something I did when I was ten I am sure most ten year olds would know better. My mom was talking to someone at my school during the school carnival. It was one of our neighbors who lived on the other side of our block. I saw mom talking to her and I said 'Mom why are you talking to her? You said you don't like her?" and the lady's eyes went real wife and my mother tried to apologize telling her she doesn't know where I got that from. The lady just walked away. I used to do these things all the time, say things in front of people not really knowing what I shouldn't say in front of them and how the other person may feel or how they would react to it and what trouble I can cause. I must say I have gotten better at this and it took me until I was an adult. Now today I would have waited later to ask that question when mom isn't with her. I would hate to ruin things and cause trouble. I did cause my parents to not get invited to the lady's and her husband's parties they have for all their neighbors. She also never spoke to my mother again nor ever looked at her. She just acted like my family didn't exist. I had no idea I caused this until my mother told me the story when i was maybe in high school and I was like "Oh I'm so sorry" and my mom was like "oh it was no big deal, we didn't like lot of our neighbors anyway so why would I want to go socializing with them?" Even our next door neighbors didn't go either and the guy said "Oh screw them, why would I want to go to a party with a bunch of people we don't like? I bet the F's go there and the P's." But I don't feel bad for what I did because my parents didn't care if they got excluded.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I still don't see why it's rude to tell people how to spell your name. Lot of people make a fuss when their name is spelled wrong and they will point it out. Last names are usually hard to spell and if someone has an unique spelling to their first name, people will misspell it. Are we all supposed to have people misspell our names?

It's not that it is rude in itself, but it is rude if those tricky things we Aspies don't get like intontation and inflection are wrong.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

I have called someone c**t to their face before in a temper - which I really wish I hadn't of.

Also my friend's cousin bullied me, and in front of my friend I said, ''I hate [name of my friend's cousin], I just truly hate her guts!'' Not sure if that is inappropriate or not, since this girl did bully me and my friend knew about it and isn't very close to her anyways.

When I'm in a normal mood, and I find myself half way through saying something inappropriate, I usually quickly give a little laugh and say, ''I'm only joking''. It usually works.

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

''She looks like she was painted by Modigliani'' I told my friend about his girlfriend. He got very angry.

Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

I was shopping with a relative of mine who lived in another state when she saw one of her friends at the store. Naturally, her friend asked who I was because she had never seen me before. My relative simply replied that she was my aunt. I, in my naivety, thought that she was lying and interjected: "That's a lie! She's my mother's cousin's wife's sister!"

I didn't even realize I did anything wrong until I got a lecture ^^

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:44 pm

A co-worker who was in her 50's was showing off a picture of herself when she was much younger and I said, "oh, you were so pretty!" It took me hours later before I realized I shouldn't have said it like that.

She took it okay but that might be why, another time, she got really angry at me for no apparent reason and cussed at me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 8:58 pm

I love the OP's example. It's so funny, and I like the consideration of the arms and legs flopping about. Very important to prevent that occurrence.

In 9th grade, I was sitting next to a Japanese student, and I happened to open the science textbook to a page that showed the Hiroshima atomic bomb blowing up. I spent the next minutes and minutes and minutes blabbing about how beautiful the nukular @$$plosion clouds were - the colors, the shapes, the plumeiness, the imagined noises complete with reenactments of the imagined noises. At the end of my monologue, I noticed that the person was staring fixedly at me, and nothing further happened in my mind until later, when I remembered that she was Japanese and perhaps did not enjoy me talking like this about a nuking of a city in her country.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

There was this one time, three days before my 13th Birthday that I got kicked out of my Grade 7 music class. I had this music teacher who was a Bow Bells Cockney and I was told that I sound like him a month and a half earlier. I was bored with listening to classical music without having any worksheets of any type to work on. I thought that I would be made to work on times tables if I caused a distraction. He was also single and he was wearing pink socks that day. I blurted out to the entire class, "MR. JONES IS GAY!" None the less, I was kicked out for the rest of the period. A feeling of guilt overtook my body, as I stormed out of that room. I wonder if I could bond with him on Facebook once more. Start fresh.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

gee, let's see...
when i was an adolescent in an adult body [a bit less so nowadays] i told my brother's fiancee that her about-to-be-married ring looked "like 2 pop can lids glued together." a few years earlier in 8th grade i told an obese fellow classmate [after she insulted me in front of other students] that she should "go down to the beach and entertain the whales." i had not learned to censor myself by then. :oops: those are the main ones i remember, but i am sure there are many others that i don't remember. :oops:

strangethingie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm

PaintingDiva wrote:
...as an adult I seem to have a special skill to say the one thing every one else is thinking but has the manners not to mention...sometimes friends have thanked me later, as what insight, I am so glad you said that.

Hahahaaa!! That's my trick!

Think probaly the most inappropriate thing I ever said was when I walked in to my livingroom after work one afternoon to find my ex and her 2 friends looking rather misrable so gob here aka me asks who's died? (I was joking!) It turned out my ex's cat had died that morning!! Talk about putting ur foot in it! My friend who came in with me burst in to fits of laughter and I had to take her outside to calm down!! (She wasn't my ex's biggest fan!)

A more recent one was when my brother bought this trendy metrosexual leather jacket to impress his girlfriend (she's now his wife). So we'd just finished our shift at the bar and where getting ready to go! My brother appears from the gents with this leather jacket on with the sleeves rolled up and one of these floaty scarfs on.(Looking a bit like something out of a gaytimes fasion artical) I looked at him and bust out laughing and screamed "OH MY GOD THATS THE GAYEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!" Well ...... My boss was horrified and gave me an ear full about how she couldn't believe I said it! (I'm a gay woman myself!). My friend slapped me because I was in fits of uncontrollabe laughter! My brothers girlfriend found it really funny and my brother didn't speak to me for 3 weeks lol!!

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

13 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I say inappropriate things all the time, but here are the incidents that stick out the most in my mind:

Several years ago when my Nana came out to visit, she was meeting my brother-in-law for the first time. I introduced him as "the guy who knocked [my sister] up". Nana was offended, but I didn't (and still don't) understand why, since she says inappropriate things all the time. The reason I said it was so that I could make her laugh, but like most of my attempts at humor, it backfired.

Even further back before that, when I was a little kid, I was minding my own business (probably talking to my imaginary friends or playing a video game) when my mom came into my room and said that my brother hit his head and got a lump because of it. She told me to look at it and asked me what I thought. I told her it was "gruesome", expecting her to be impressed with my large vocabulary. Instead she got angry and said I shouldn't talk about my brother that way.

When I was in junior high, I was in a creative writing class, and everyone had to go to the teacher's desk and tell him our ideas for a story we planned to write. I told him my idea about a pair of identical twin transvestites who were in an incestuous relationship with each other. He politely told me that that kind of story wasn't appropriate for school, and that I should think of a different one. Unfortunately, since I talk in a naturally loud voice, the whole class overheard me. After that I was known as "the girl who made up a story about gay incest".
I was in a creative writing class in seventh grade, too. Each member of the class had to submit a first draft of their story. I had made a story about two gay friends (males) who were bullied at school so much they cut themselves, had sex, abused prescription drugs, and made a suicide pact with each other. My teacher called me into her office in the back of the room, held up my paper, and yelled, "absolutely NOT classroom-appropriate material! I will NOT have students writing self-harm or sexual intercourse in my classroom!" When I went back to my seat, other kids wanted to know how much trouble I was in. I later turned the cutting scene of my story into a poem for English later that year.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 2:50 am

I remember being in high school or was I 19? I don't remember. But I was still living at home and my brothers had friends over. My mom was saying how this friend was big boned and thin and I blurted out "No he's not, he's fat" and then I realized what I had just said. I tend to correct people when they are wrong and my mom said he wasn't fat so I correct her so I said it without thinking. Mom started laughing instead and said "No he's not, it's all muscle, feel" so I felt it and it all felt hard. My mother told me "See? It's muscle."

I also remember the time I was in London with my mother and we just got through visiting the Kensington Palace. Mom see this employee and asks her questions about who lives in the apartments there and I ask her some questions like how much rent they pay and the woman acted rude because I was asking stupid questions because I was ignorant about how royalty works. Then after I learned what the taxes goes to and what the whole city actually pays for, I said to my mother "Wow, that like paying for the welfare." The lady's eyes got wide and mom grabbed me and told me "let's go."

I also remember the time when my husband and I were lying in bed together and he said he smelled something. I couldn't smell it and I told him he is a dog (referring to his good sense of smell) and we happened to be talking about sex too so it really upset him when I said that. He knew I didn't mean that and it was just a coincidence but it still upset him. Dog is a sexual term for someone who has sex with different people (if I remember correctly) and I wasn't aware of that.

I also remember another time when I found out he had smoked for fifteen years and quit before he met me because he told me. I said "No wonder you have bad teeth." I still don't get why that was wrong to say. He had told me before it was his wisdom teeth that made his teeth bad and then he tells me he was a smoker for fifteen years and quit three years before he met me. I know smoking ruins your teeth so I told him no wonder he has bad teeth.

Another time he was going to work, (back when he worked graveyard) and he had already gotten ready for work. His bus was coming in a few minutes so I told him he better get going because he has bad feet. I didn't want him to miss the bus and he made a comment like "thanks a lot" so I then knew I said something wrong and he said he will explain when he gets back. I couldn't wait so I came on here and asked about it and I got told someone may think I was making fun of them and he knew I didn't mean that. The next day, he got home from work and I asked him about it and he said he felt I was making fun of him but he knew I wasn't trying to. I just didn't want him to miss the bus because he walks slow due to his feet so I was telling him he better go because of his bad feet.

And here is something I remember when I was 15 I still don't get why was inappropriate. I was in health class and we were learning about sperm and the ovary system. Once I learned that boys start producing sperm during puberty and continuing producing it as men, I said "Really? Cool I wonder if I looked in my brothers and dad's underwear, I will see their sperm? I better look when I get home." No one could shut me up in class as we were learning about it. I don't remember what other "inappropriate" comments I made.

And here is one I am sure some people remember here. I remember on the day I got married, my husband and I were opening out wedding presents. I get one from my aunt and uncle and cousin who didn't come and I was surprised they still got us a wedding present despite that they never travel out of state for family reunions or weddings. My dad said it was because they are cheap. So I opened the present and I looked inside it and saw it was potholders and spices and two cookbooks. I say "They may be cheap but at least they weren't cheap enough to not get us a weeding present" and everyone laughed. Only to find out weeks later that it wasn't funny and it was a "OMG I can't believe she said that" laughter. Then it also made sense why my mother told me "And who taught you to say that Beth" and I said "dad" and mom goes "Bill, Bill" and everyone looks at him as he is saying "I didn't say that." I wonder if my mother asked me that to explain why I said that about my relatives so the blame be on my dad now.