Why do people think we're all logical?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:15 pm

People seem to think that all autistic people are highly logical and calculating, emotionless, have no imagination and we're all extremely male brained. However, for alot of autistic people the opposite is true, we're incredibly creative and we are alot more female brained. So, apart from the obvious stereotypes found in the mass media *cough RAINMAN cough* why do people assume this is true? Very few aspies actually seem to be like this. Alot of us seem to be very creative and highly imaginative people who are actually alot more emotional than others.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

Logical does not mean unemotional or unimaginative, it's the illogical people who come to that conclusion.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 1:46 pm

Scientist, you seem to assume that logic and creativity aren't contingent upon one another. In my experience, the two usually go together. Unless you are a postmodernist prepared to argue an anti-foundationalist, anti-essentialist worldview, most disciplines are viewed as systems, most with their own internal logic.

Aspies are more logical than normals because in regard to dealing with people we have to be. Being social isn't something normal people have to think about much. Aspies have no choice but to analyze society if they have any hope of fitting in at all.

During WWII the only completely colorblind people in the military were intelligence analysts as camouflage doesn't fool the colorblind. By the same token, aspies can see things about society that normal people can't. It's the one big advantage of being an aspie, and I take full advantage of it.

While I'm a liberal arts type, many aspies are technical types, if that's what you are referring to as logical. If so, it's not me either.

Finally, if people can't understand me, I see it as symmetrical, as I can't understand others very well myself.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm

I am creative and somewhat male-brained at the same time. In some ways I can be very logical and other times I am very illogical...there is no happy meduim with me. Moderation is not something I posses.

I understand guys better than other women for sure.
btw...the rainman stereotype is soooo anoying.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm

Scientist, you seem to assume that logic and creativity aren't contingent upon one another. In my experience, the two usually go together. Unless you are a postmodernist prepared to argue an anti-foundationalist, anti-essentialist worldview, most disciplines are viewed as systems, most with their own internal logic.

Aspies are more logical than normals because in regard to dealing with people we have to be. Being social isn't something normal people have to think about much. Aspies have no choice but to analyze society if they have any hope of fitting in at all.

During WWII the only completely colorblind people in the military were intelligence analysts as camouflage doesn't fool the colorblind. By the same token, aspies can see things about society that normal people can't. It's the one big advantage of being an aspie, and I take full advantage of it.

While I'm a liberal arts type, many aspies are technical types, if that's what you are referring to as logical. If so, it's not me either.

Finally, if people can't understand me, I see it as symmetrical, as I can't understand others very well myself.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:

interesting about the colorblind being able to see through camo...make sense too, and yes the only way for us to understand the NT world is through analysis...we study the world around us like a science while NT's just react intinctively.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

13 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

jojobean wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:

interesting about the colorblind being able to see through camo...make sense too, and yes the only way for us to understand the NT world is through analysis...we study the world around us like a science while NT's just react intinctively.
That was some good analysis.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:

Ok, why does this keep popping up? This is the third time.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

It's a stereotype I'm afraid, from what I can tell it's one that a lot of us fit too. As we've seen in the past you can't really get rid of that can you? best you can do is prove the ones you find wrong.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

lilbuddah wrote:
It's a stereotype I'm afraid, from what I can tell it's one that a lot of us fit too. As we've seen in the past you can't really get rid of that can you? best you can do is prove the ones you find wrong.

And what evidence do you have to support your hypothesis? Yes, a lot of us here are hyperlogical, but not unimaginative or emotionless.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:

This is a pretty good theory. Aspies have to use there intellect to figure out things go, understand the patterns of human behavior in order to adapt to that human behavior. I know I certainly had to. In a way its unfair, I wish I could just go with the flow and I didnt have to analyze everything.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

Whatever is different will likely be perceived by NT as illogical.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:

Woah woah woah woah woah... I wasn't saying that at all. I just meant that people act as if we're all logical and that's it... I wasn't trying to imply that creativity and logic don't go hand in hand, I was just pointing out that people always think we're logic and thats it. We're not. Apologies for the mis-communication.

*I don't think logical automatically means emotionless and unimaginative. In my first post, I was simply listing traits that the NT world assign to us and say we automatically have. I'm trying to say that it deeply upsets me that people assume things about us for being aspie.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
People seem to think that all autistic people are highly logical and calculating, emotionless, have no imagination and we're all extremely male brained. However, for alot of autistic people the opposite is true, we're incredibly creative and we are alot more female brained. So, apart from the obvious stereotypes found in the mass media *cough RAINMAN cough* why do people assume this is true? Very few aspies actually seem to be like this. Alot of us seem to be very creative and highly imaginative people who are actually alot more emotional than others.

There isn't any opposition between being logical, for one side, and being creative and imaginative, for other (if anything, I suspect that there is a slightly positive association between logical thinking, creativity and imagination, being all the three probably negativly correlated with "common sense").

And this talk of male brained and female brained is largely nonsense - yes, usually man have more spatial/visual intelligence and women more verbal intelligence, but I doubt that there is about it that people are talking when they talk of male vs. female brain.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:
lilbuddah wrote:

And what evidence do you have to support your hypothesis? Yes, a lot of us here are hyperlogical, but not unimaginative or emotionless.

I know a lot of other aspies in my area, we're pretty good friends, all these guys(1 girl) are weird creative and funny but we're all logical when it comes to discussing stuff.